2016 KW Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ Chess Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 KW Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ Chess Championship

Back in the '70s and '80s, chess tournaments had hundreds of participants but today, not so much. Where are the chess players? Here is a tournament ten days away, close to heavy populated areas, and hardly anyone has registered. When I was younger, living in Kirkland Lake, starved for competition, I would travel by bus all night, about 400 miles, just to play in a weekend tournament. Is chess dying out?

Comment

Re: 2016 KW Riedstra Memorial Open and the Ontario Seniors 60+ Chess Championship

Originally posted by Ralph Deline View Post
      Here is a tournament ten days away, close to heavy populated areas, and hardly anyone has registered.
      Ralph, next time you should have either a early bird discount or late fee. Without this incentive to pre register early, many just wait until the last minute.

Guilty as charged, still trying to decide which section. :)

Comment

I plan on going but hard to work around my work schedule that's why I haven't registered. Sounds like a good time though.

Comment

I know some people have job commitments, some are on holidays, and some are undecided, plus some register Saturday morning, so it will then that we have the final numbers.

Thanks for posting John.

Comment

I agree Bob. We use to have a discount for early registrations and it needs to be brought back. Since we supply chess sets and clocks, it helps knowing the approximate number of tables to set up. Live and learn. :o

Comment

One week from today!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Ralph, I do plan on playing, but I can't decide whether to play U2000 or Seniors section.
                Okay. Ralph - put me in the Seniors section!

Thanks.

Comment

Bob, you are now registered in the Seniors. Welcome aboard!

Comment

Bob, you are now registered in the Seniors. Welcome aboard!
                    Thanks. Please give me a bye for round 1.
                    This old geezer likes to sleep in saturday mornings! :)

Comment

Thanks. Please give me a bye for round 1.
                      This old geezer likes to sleep in saturday mornings! :)
                      In the Seniors, you are considered "the kid", "the new guy", and not an old geezer. However, if you can't keep up with "the more mature" Seniors, then yes, I have you down for a bye for round 1.

Comment

In the Seniors, you are considered "the kid", "the new guy", and not an old geezer. However, if you can't keep up with "the more mature" Seniors, then yes, I have you down for a bye for round 1.
                        OMG, "the kid" sure does feel like an old geezer.
                        Sorry Ralph, I have to cancel this weekend. Back problems that started yesterday are still with me today. A treatment session this morning has helped, but I'll be on muscle relaxants for the weekend and have been advised not to sit too much. So, no chess for me.

Comment

That's too bad, Bob. Some things we have no control over. Lots of chess on-line, the problem being what to spend your time watching.

When my back treats me badly, I visit the chiropractor. Just saying. They don't prescribe drugs. Just use voodoo!

Get better. See you at the next tournament.

Comment

Hi Ralph,

I got some time off this weekend and would like to register in the U1600 section. Thanks in advance

Comment

OMG, "the kid" sure does feel like an old geezer.
                              Sorry Ralph, I have to cancel this weekend. Back problems that started yesterday are still with me today. A treatment session this morning has helped, but I'll be on muscle relaxants for the weekend and have been advised not to sit too much. So, no chess for me.
                              Boy old age has really set in on you Bob. What happened to that Bob who walked early in mornings in Kitchener when you stayed with me and Jaime?
                              EXERCISE when you get older. My Senior who is 103 now, says exercise keeps her young. So walk it out Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nguyen View Post
                                Hi Ralph,

I got some time off this weekend and would like to register in the U1600 section. Thanks in advance
                                You are now registered. See you tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X