Happy 67th Birthday, IM Lawrence Day!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 67th Birthday, IM Lawrence Day!!

Wishing a Very Happy 67th Birthday to IM Lawrence Day (born February 1, 1949 in Kitchener)!! Many Happy Returns!! :)

In a competitive chess career spanning over 50 years, filled with achievements and great games, including many dozens of tournament wins, perhaps IM Day's most enduring accomplishment is 13 appearances for Canada at Olympiads, which is a national record. From 1968 to 1998, covering 30 years, he answered the call to travel to far-away destinations to represent his country. Lugano 1968, Skopje 1972, Nice 1974, Haifa 1976, Buenos Aires 1978, La Valletta 1980, Lucerne 1982, Thessaloniki 1984, Dubai 1986, Manila 1992, Moscow 1994, Yerevan 1996, and Elista 1998 are the Olympiads where Day put his game on the line for us. I can't see this record of 13 appearances being broken.

My favourite Lawrence Day game is his monumental win over twice World Championship Candidate GM Pal Benko, from 1980.

No doubt thousands of Canadian chess people each have their own favourite Day game.

Lawrence, your thousands of fans are awaiting publication of your Best Games collection!! How about it!?

Cheers,
    Frank Dixon
    Kingston

Re: Happy 67th Birthday, IM Lawrence Day!!

Happy Birthday Lawrence! And may you enjoy many many more!

Hey, if you ever do decide to do that book, let me know, here to help.

All the best!

Tony

Comment

Yes, a very Happy Birthday to Lawrence. At a recent Pub Chess event it was nice to see him and he gave some good lessons to some of Canada's fine young talents.

Comment

Happy belated birthday, Lawrence!

Comment

Happy Birthday Lawrence! :)
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

All the best and many returns Lawrence.

Many great memories and insights to thank you for - I especially remember rooming together at the 1984 Olympiad in Greece, and the 12 hour bus ride to/from Chicago and billeting at Eric Schiller's home in 1985.

PS - we will have to revive the Wentworth Invitational so you can vie for the seniors prize :)

Brian

Comment

Lawrence Day

February 5, 2016

Several people have asked when Lawrence Day will publish a book of his best games.

I was quite surprised, when glancing recently through the August 1975 issue of Canadian Chess Chat to see this advertisement on page 245.

Lawrence Day: 40 Selected Games 1962 – 1974

This is a welcome selection in the all too limited field of Canadian Chess literature. Interspersed with autobiographical information Day presents 40 of his most intriguing chess battles going back to his first tournaments.

- Because he outlines the process whereby he became an International Master the book has definite educational validity, but it seems to be primarily entertainment. – Day’s chess style is quite eclectic which is perhaps none too surprising as his early list of chess heroes is Nimzovich, Tal, Suttles and Bohatirchuk. All four of his encounters with Suttles are included as well as games against Spassky, Browne, Timman – but most of the games are against International and National Masters. All in all a great bargain. PB $2.00
              ________

Does anyone have a copy of this book? The big chess libraries (Cleveland, The Hague) have copies of Nick’s Best (2007), The Big clamp (1984) and the Grand Prix Attack (1985) but not this book.

Comment

Happy birthday and congratulations on getting past age 65. Now the state finally compensates you for all your years devoted to chess (OAS, GIS etc). I still have fond memories of all those speed games played in "the cave". Many Caro-Kanns and Old Indians. Also, I can't play any Berlin Defense game without thinking that you were playing it decades before Kramnik made it respectable. Cheers!

Comment

Many happy returns Lawrence! I have many fond memories, including your medal finish at the Dubai Olympiad - flagging your opponent from Portugal with some ultra provocative replies leading up to move 40. The poor guy was freaking, his head shaking as his eyes bounced between the clock and the board in disbelief. Beautiful stuff!

Comment

Working...
                  X