• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Video 1st World Blitz in St John NB 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22JKDfKoGQQ

Re: Chess Video 1st World Blitz in St John NB 1988

Thanks for this, Larry! :)

I had thought that the first official World Blitz championship was actually held in 1987, and was won by then World Champion GM Garry Kasparov.

There was an unofficial World Blitz tournament held in 1970 in Herceg Novi, following the USSR vs. World team match, and this was won by GM Bobby Fischer.

Comment

If you do a search in You Tube (ie 1988 World Blitz Saint John) you will also be able to find the 2nd and 3rd video in this series. There is a copyright on these, so in theory they could be limited time viewing.

You have to check out the instant replay from Vaganian - Georgiev amongst other highlights.

Comment

A strange explanation by GM Seirawan on a flag fall (~2 min): in a serious game he looses regardless of a position but in blitz the opponent needs to have a material to mate. Was this really in 1988 so?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          A strange explanation by GM Seirawan on a flag fall (~2 min): in a serious game he looses regardless of a position but in blitz the opponent needs to have a material to mate. Was this really in 1988 so?
          Seems like a reasonable rule. Who would want to watch, for example, K+N (with 20 seconds left) versus K (with 12 seconds left) with the K+N side playing on to flag the opponent in a world blitz championship?
          :)
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            There were a few special conditions incorporated into the rules that weren't part of the standard Blitz rules.

Comment

I loved watching Igor Ivanov defeat Seirawan in the Nimzo Indian at 5 min. Such a positional crush. Just a reminder what a special talent Igor had. Also nice to see Bryon Nickoloff and Spraggett. To me that was the golden age of Canadian chess.

Comment

It was in fact a magical period in Canadian chess. I remember when I first heard that GM Kevin Spraggett had defeated GM Andrei Sokolov in their first-round Candidates match in Saint John. My first reaction was that the information had to be wrong! Canadians don't knock off the Soviet World #3 player, do they? No, I was assured that I was NOT being made the victim of some practical joke! My friend who told me promptly joined me for a few beers to celebrate! :) Then Kevin nearly pulled off another upset, losing to GM Artur Yusupov only in the playoff games.

It was perfectly fitting that GM Mikhail Tal won the 1988 Saint John Blitz championship. The prize of $50k (Canadian) may have been the largest he ever won!! He would be gone just over four years later, in late June 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                  If you do a search in You Tube (ie 1988 World Blitz Saint John) you will also be able to find the 2nd and 3rd video in this series. There is a copyright on these, so in theory they could be limited time viewing.

You have to check out the instant replay from Vaganian - Georgiev amongst other highlights.
                  There is also a so-called "Part 4" (dont you just hate it that often the " of x parts" is omitted?
                  That video (here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2cH-hzr3rs ) seems to be just noise - has anyone any idea if there really is a Part 4?

Also, anything after approx. 28 min of "Part 3" also seems to be noise..." ??
                  Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 9th February, 2016, 06:02 PM. Reason: comments about part 3 as well?
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                  X