• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Jeremy Morse

Sir Jeremy Morse

February 5, 2016

In my collection there is one book whose listing is:

Morse, J. Chess Problems: Tasks and Records, Faber & Faber, 1995, 381 p

I bought it in 2014 and, regrettably, forgot to record the price.

I was vaguely aware that Morse was a member of the British Chess Problem Society. And, as for buying a problem book, one always thinks that in one’s retirement that some enjoyable time might be spent on problems and endgame studies.

Today, I found that Sir Jeremy Morse had died and that his obituary was at the Telegraph’s website:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html

Of course, a man’s life is much more than one book or one hobby. He had a fascinating life. Some extracts from that obit:

Sir Jeremy Morse, the former chairman of Lloyds Bank who has died aged 87, possessed one of the finest minds of his generation in the City of London.

Morse was a classical scholar and a quintessential Wykehamist. He was also a chess expert, and a lover of poetry and brain-teaser puzzles. In a different age he might have been a bishop rather than a banker. Inspector Morse, the donnish detective invented by Colin Dexter, was said to have been named after him, and partially modelled on him in personality.

Journalists and fellow bankers could be disconcerted by Morse’s unworldly manner. “I’m somebody who’s never borrowed in my life,” he remarked in a television interview, at the height of the 1980s credit boom. “I think rather like the prime minister (Margaret Thatcher), whom I believe thinks that it’s wrong for individuals to borrow.”

But he did not see eye-to-eye with Mrs Thatcher in any other respect – he was too didactic for her taste, and was suspected of Keynesian sympathies. She neither offered him the governorship of the Bank of England in 1983, nor backed him as a candidate for the directorship of the IMF in 1989 – although he was overwhelmingly qualified for both jobs.
    _______

Christopher Jeremy Morse was born on December 10 1928. His forebears, for five generations, were Norfolk brewers: their own business, founded in 1780, became part of Steward & Patteson, at one time the biggest brewery in East Anglia. Had it not been absorbed by Watneys in 1968, Morse would eventually have returned to Norwich to run the business.

Young Jeremy was educated at Winchester, where he was head boy. Interviewed in The Wykehamist many years later, he confessed that the naughtiest thing he had ever done at school was to take a bus to Southampton to visit his uncle. According to one classmate, the senior classics master would consult him as an authority, but by his own account he was merely “good at exams”.

After National Service with the King’s Royal Rifle Corps, he went up to New College, Oxford, as a scholar. There he created a university record by winning five of the seven major classical prizes, including, in the same year, the Chancellor’s prizes for both Latin verse and Latin prose. Having taken the expected Double First, he was elected a fellow of All Souls in 1953.

By then, however, motivated by the assumption that he would be required to run the family brewery, he felt drawn towards commercial life. He became a “cadet”, or management trainee, at Glyn, Mills & Co, a small bank (now part of Royal Bank of Scotland) with a reputation for grooming City high-flyers.

He became a director of Glyn, Mills in 1964, but the next year he was recruited by Lord Cromer, the Governor of the Bank of England, to become an executive director of the Bank – the second youngest in history.
    _______

Morse was a past president of the British Bankers’ Association, the Banking Federation of the European Community and, reflecting his extra-curricular interests, the Classical Association and the British Chess Problem Society.

He was an international chess judge, and in retirement published Chess Problems: Tasks and Records, a collection of some 800 challenges, many of them of his own devising. He was particularly fond of the two-mover, the purest of all chess exercises.

His other passion was poetry – during his National Service he had shocked senior officers by telling them that his ambition in life was simply to be a poet. He had an affinity with T S Eliot, who had also worked for Lloyds Bank and found satisfaction in the routine of banking work; Morse was able to quote much of The Waste Land from memory. When the wife of a Japanese colleague painted his portrait, he sent her a haiku, a traditional three-line poem, by way of thanks.

He was a devout churchman, sometimes preaching on City ethics. As well as London he had a country life on the Mills estate in Gloucestershire, which he loved. He also relished cryptic crossword puzzles and was a respected composer of them.

Sir Jeremy Morse, born December 10 1928, died February 4 2016

Re: Sir Jeremy Morse

Sir Jeremy Morse

February 7, 2016

The Times obituary is at:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinio...cle4684203.ece

I fear that it might be behind a pay-wall, so I will quote one romantic paragraph from it:

A devoted churchman, he worked hard but was not a “workaholic” and valued family above all. To his delight, his eldest grandchild was married in September in the same week that he and his wife celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary, which they marked with dinner at the Athenaeum Club. For their first 26 anniversaries, Morse had given her a flower beginning with a different letter of the alphabet, from alstroemeria to zinnia, before turning his attention to gemstones and working his way from amethyst to zircon.

Comment

An exceptionally interesting life, to be sure.

Sir Jeremy, while Chairman of Lloyds, was highly instrumental in sponsoring British chess events for many years, including the famous London Lloyds Bank tournament.

RIP, Sir Jeremy.

Comment

Sir Jeremy Morse

February 9, 2016

A 2015 interview with Elizabeth Grice of the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...tor-Morse.html

Extracts:

THE clue to Sir Jeremy Morse is that great domed head. Intelligence must be pulsing in there like a permanent solar flare. The former chairman of Lloyds Bank is Britain’s most consistently brilliant crossword puzzle solver. Passing exams was always “absolute child’s play” to him. As a student, he reported an error in the classic undergraduate maths textbook, The Theory of Numbers, and earned himself a footnote attributing the correction to him. He is currently working on the third edition of his standard work of reference, Chess Problems: Tasks and Records and he reckons to be able to complete the Telegraph’s “toughie” crossword in 15 minutes. A man you might be wary of inviting to the pub quiz night.
        ________

Morse can remember helping his parents solve The Times crossword when he was seven years old. His phenomenal facility for passing exams - he shone at Winchester College and got a double first in mods and greats at Oxford - does not particularly impress him. Nor, for that matter, does his juvenile maths coup or his easy brilliance at puzzles. “I don’t prize those kinds of things. It is a certain skill but it is a limited skill. Wonderful to have but it doesn’t entitle you to think you are good in other spheres. There’s a big distinction between achieving things that take considered effort over a long period and achieving things in 10 minutes out of the sheer joy of your mind. What I really prize are the long-run things.”
        ______

When he retired, the idea was that his wife would teach him to cook and he would show her how to complete an income tax return. “On about the third day, she had me making some obscure sauce, whereas I should have been doing something terribly simple. It never came to anything. Nor did the tax return.”
        ________

He claims he is not a great chess player himself but has a fondness for mathematical problems. In the abstruse preface to his masterwork Chess Problems: Tasks and Records, Morse is described as “the first person to compose a serieshelpmate containing seven black promotions.” He says of the book: “I don’t on the whole give it to my friends unless they express great keenness.”
        _______

A whole afternoon has passed like half an hour in the company of a man who thought he had stopped being interesting. Now Lady Morse is coming in with home-made scones and coffee cake and, because she walks with a stick, he leaps up to assist, cheerfully rattling the Coalport china and displaying a courtesy unknown to Inspector Morse. If he had really resembled his moody namesake, this would have been a very short interview. And that would have been a pity.

Comment

Working...
        X