IM Qiyu Zhou and American David Kistler Tie for First Place at the Kingston Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM Qiyu Zhou and American David Kistler Tie for First Place at the Kingston Open

The tournament was international in scope for the third year in a row. American David Kistler finished in a tie with WIM Qiyu Zhou for first place with 4.0 points after Stijn de Kerpel was unable to close out a winning position against her in the final match. Stijn, along with William Doubleday, Sam Marin, Ben Kellar finished in a four way tie for third place.

In the under 2000 section, Brian Profit of Trenton finished in top spot with 3.5 points. Frank Dixon, Guang Yu Song, Rene Poulin, and Mathanhe Kaneshalingam finished in a four way tie for second place.
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; Tuesday, 1st March, 2016, 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling and accuracy

Re: IM Qiyu Zhou and American David Kistler Tie for First Place at the Kingston Open

Dan, I have already heard so many good things about your event. It's a wonderful addition these last few years to the EOCA Grand Prix schedule. Very well done sir!

Comment

Re: IM Qiyu Zhou and American David Kistler Tie for First Place at the Kingston Open

Thank you Aris, I am happy the weather co-operated. Thank you for helping me choose the date, it seemed to work. We got more players from West of Kingston as there was no major conflict with other tournaments in that area. The only thing we didn't get was participation from East of Ontario, however there were players of French origin in the tournament.

Comment

Thanks Dan for the prompt report posted here, Kingston Open will be more and more successful for sure. Just wondering WIM is same as IM? Or Qiyu got IM recently?

Comment

I think you are right Mark, the FIDE website says WIM, and Halldor confirms....I will edit the post.

Comment

Hi Dan,

Congratulations on the success of this year's event, and to Qiyu and David (who got the best of me in the last round) on winning the tournament! The time and effort you put forth into this was certainly very much appreciated. I personally really enjoyed returning to Kingston to play for the first time since the early/mid 2000's, where I have some fond memories from my junior days.

It was great to see the continued growth of this tournament in terms of player turnout and attracting players from more regions. Since you hope/expect that trend to continue in future events, I have one suggestion which I believe would appeal to many players. With a relatively large turnout (like this weekend), I think it would be worth splitting the field into different sections (e.g. Open, U1600). This would allow for more games between closely rated players and even better competition overall.

Once again, congratulations on running a very successful event this year, and I look forward to next year's edition. :)

Cheers,
            Sammy

Comment

I am happy you enjoyed yourself Sammy, thanks for contributing to what was a great turnout. I am going to have to disagree with you on segregating the tournament. Two years ago my son Curtis defeated David Kistler in the first match of the 2014 Kingston Open. This wouldn't happen without an open format. The whole idea of the little guy rising up from obscurity to a higher level of performance is not something I want to give up. On the other hand, if a majority of players wanted it your way, we would accommodate the position.

Comment

Working...
              X