OYCC 2016 - Information especially for Windsor Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OYCC 2016 - Information especially for Windsor Parents

OYCC 2016 (or OYCC in previous years) is not an invitational tournament.

There is no need to win any trophy at Windsor chess challenge to go to OYCC anyone can participate

The following information posted on their website is simply rubbish and misleading:

http://www.chesschallenge.info/16-playf.htm
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Score 3 points at the playoffs, win a fancy trophy
    Score 2½ or 2 points, win a not-so-fancy trophy
    Score 1½ points or less, win a participation award.

Trophy winners in Windsor are invited to the Ontario Youth Chess Championships
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents from outside Windsor did not have the wrong impression that they needed some qualification for OYCC when I took my son for first time in 2014. However all parents from Windsor who came in first time and even few from Windsor who were not coming for the first time had the impression that their child needed qualification from playoff at Windsor Chess Challenge.

To be fair new organizers are replicating old misleading information posted by the previous organizer, they may not be even aware that it is the wrong information.

I did get a confirmation from Pat MacDonald that there was no invitation/qualification required at any point of time.

It is also worth noting that OYCC is a well run tournament unlike CYCC which is full of many kinds of nonsense.

a) Selected parents and coaches do not have access to the playing area as it happened especially in CYCC 2015.

b) All parents are treated equal by OYCC organizers unlike CYCC

c) No effort to ensure playing area has no visibility from outside as it happened in CYCC 2015

d) No forced extra $150 fees as is the case in CYCC - with an excuse that it for travel cost to WYCC, but only one participant per section same for 3 or 50 participants. Pat pays entry to more participants to CYCC if he gets more participation in that section, unlike in CYCC where money is spent on 6 coaches,head of delegation etc

The list of CYCC nonsense can go on and on.

However OYCC is a less expensive as well as pleasant experience minus many nonsense of CYCC .
    Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Monday, 28th March, 2016, 10:49 PM. Reason: typo correction

Re: OYCC 2016 - Information especially for Windsor Parents

Couldn't it be that the person designing the website made a typo? If the intention was to say the Windsor Chess Challenge was a qualifier not for the OYCC but for the OCC (Ontario Chess Challenge) then the information is valid (apart from inputting the incorrect name) as qualification is needed to play in the OCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
      Couldn't it be that the person designing the website made a typo? If the intention was to say the Windsor Chess Challenge was a qualifier not for the OYCC but for the OCC (Ontario Chess Challenge) then the information is valid (apart from inputting the incorrect name) as qualification is needed to play in the OCC.
      This has been happening for quite sometime at Windsor for OYCC, - it is not a typo by any stretch of imagination. There are other places as well where the same information is repeated.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.chesschallenge.info/16faq.htm

Why have playoffs?
      One purpose for this tournament is to select outstanding players who will be invited to the Ontario Youth Chess Championship.

Only about 15% of players at the Chess Challenge qualify for the playoffs, and only 5% will be invited to the OYCC
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cant be a typo even if you are drunk seriously no pun intended.

No red cent or is it a qualification
      Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Saturday, 26th March, 2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

There was a nice clear announcement at the Chess Challenge playoffs today by Kathleen Westlake of Mad Science who has taken over as the organizer of the Windsor Chess Challenge which pointed out that the OYCC is an open tournament which anyone can play in. That will not stop anyone from the Chesstalk tinfoil hat brigade from entertaining conspiracy theories but carry on.

The fact that the organizers invite players to attend OYCC should not be controversial. I invite lots of players to play at OYCC. I tell them that it is good practice for CYCC. Its part of the reason why so many Windsor players attend OYCC (and CYCC regardless of what city it is in).
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 27th March, 2016, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
          The Windsor Chess Challenge is not a qualifier for OCC. It is a YCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            There was a nice clear announcement at the Chess Challenge playoffs today by Kathleen Westlake of Mad Science who has taken over as the organizer of the Windsor Chess Challenge which pointed out that the OYCC is an open tournament which anyone can play in. That will not stop anyone from the Chesstalk tinfoil hat brigade from entertaining conspiracy theories but carry on.

The fact that the organizers invite players to attend OYCC should not be controversial. I invite lots of players to play at OYCC. I tell them that it is good practice for CYCC. Its part of the reason why so many Windsor players attend OYCC (and CYCC regardless of what city it is in).
            It is good that there was an announcement made this year by new organizers, I did mention that they most likely were not even aware and might have been under the impression that it was an invitation tournament where the invitation was earned by scoring two points.

There was no such announcement made in either 2012 or 2014 for sure since I was there, most probably none in 2013 or 2015 either.

I also noticed some children especially young who did not get 2 points in the Windsor playoffs crying that they could not make it to Waterloo for OYCC. You along with some other coaches were there soliciting coaching business with your flyers. It was impossible that you did not know it was not true that it was an invitation earned by qualifying tournament but an open tournament. However you made no such announcement then.

Yes you did tell at least one parent who hired you for coaching after their child did not get two points in playoffs, that OYCC, is not an invitation tournament but an open tournament and you bad mouthed John as well with that parent, you forgot your own favourite quote which you have posted in this forum "Nemojte srati gdje jedeš."

When your lies and deceit are exposed in chesstalk you bash the same forum that lets you post by calling it a tinfoil hat brigade and imagine some conspiracy. Anyone can understand your frustration with chesstalk that unlike CFC forum where you can do censorship - deleting post which exposes your shady behaviour and keep only propaganda material.

Yes there are some Windsor parents with deep pockets who send their children to WYCC also as extra players though they sore less than 50% in CYCC, however they get coaching by extra coaches for WYCC, the coaches expense is picked up by CFC on the $150 collected from each player at CYCC for players travel expenses.
            Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Monday, 28th March, 2016, 11:37 AM. Reason: To include Vlad's favourite quote

Comment

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post
              It is good that there was an announcement made this year by new organizers, I did mention that they most likely were not even aware and might have been under the impression that it was an invitation tournament where the invitation was earned by scoring two points.

There was no such announcement made in either 2012 or 2014 for sure since I was there, most probably none in 2013 or 2015 either.

I also noticed some children especially young who did not get 2 points in the Windsor playoffs crying that they could not make it to Waterloo for OYCC. You along with some other coaches were there soliciting coaching business with your flyers. It was impossible that you did not know it was not true that it was an invitation earned by qualifying tournament but an open tournament. However you made no such announcement then.
              You are a very strange man. If there were kids crying then you should have told them that anyone can go to OYCC like I would have and have. I made no announcements because I was only a volunteer arbiter at the event. Anyone that is on my email list knows that the OYCC is an open tournament.

Yes you did tell at least one parent who hired you for coaching after their child did not get two points in playoffs, that OYCC, is not an invitation tournament but an open tournament and you bad mouthed John as well with that parent, you forgot your own favourite quote which you have posted in this forum "Nemojte srati gdje jedeš."
              I occasionally disagree with John usually on things like the desirability of beginning players attending OYCC or CYCC or the utility of post game analysis to help kids improve at chess more rapidly. I express these disagreements directly with John. I do not recall bad mouthing John in any way. You can have a disagreement without it being badmouthing. Then again you sir are a liar seeking to sow discord. Was this parent the fictional character sock puppet you created previously to support your nonsense?

When your lies and deceit are exposed in chesstalk you bash the same forum that lets you post by calling it a tinfoil hat brigade and imagine some conspiracy.
              You are the one imagining conspiracies to suppress attendence at OYCC. Once again, to what end?

Anyone can understand your frustration with chesstalk that unlike CFC forum where you can do censorship - deleting post which exposes your shady behaviour and keep only propaganda material.
              The only frustration with chesstalk was when I couldn't post.

Yes there are some Windsor parents with deep pockets who send their children to WYCC also as extra players though they sore less than 50% in CYCC, however they get coaching by extra coaches for WYCC, the coaches expense is picked up by CFC on the $150 collected from each player at CYCC for players travel expenses.
              Unlike you, I try to look at the big picture. If someone is willing to go through the effort and expense of attending WYCC then I think we should let them as they are more likely to continue into adulthood as chess players. Players who attend CYCC have already paid $150 toward those coaches. They pay an additional $150 towards those coaches so the cost is covered. If they do not attend CYCC then they have to pay $300. Typically coaches cover eight to ten players and the cost of the coaches is covered by the fees charged and collected. So beyond slagging some parents, what are you hoping to accomplish here?
              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 28th March, 2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

You are a very strange man. If there were kids crying then you should have told them that anyone can go to OYCC like I would have and have. I made no announcements because I was only a volunteer arbiter at the event. Anyone that is on my email list knows that the OYCC is an open tournament.
                You are a crook you very well know from my posting that I came to know only during the OYCC 2014 at Waterloo that there is no need to qualify through a playoff at Windsor:

a) In 2012 when my son did not qualify how the hell you know that he was not one of the children crying, would I not tell myself and my child and take him to Waterloo if I had known it was open. Get it dumb crook aka Vlad

b) In 2014 my son lost first game on time and won next two games and qualified. I did see his opponent who lost the final game to my son totally distraught, if I had known about the nonsense I would have certainly told him

c) Anyone not blind could notice children's disappointment and crying, you would be selectively temporarily blind to children's crying every year at Windsor playoffs.

d) Only if the parent of any kid crying hired you for coaching which you were soliciting there with your flyer then you would tell them that OYCC is an open tournament

I occasionally disagree with John usually on things like the desirability of beginning players attending OYCC or CYCC or the utility of post game analysis to help kids improve at chess more rapidly. I express these disagreements directly with John. I do not recall bad mouthing John in any way. You can have a disagreement without it being badmouthing. Then again you sir are a liar seeking to sow discord. Was this parent the fictional character sock puppet you created previously to support your nonsense?
                I believe any time you bad mouth it reaches the person. I can expose you on that. It adds up what you told the parent since you have repeated to me in another context.

You are the one imagining conspiracies to suppress attendence at OYCC. Once again, to what end?
                Conspiracy is way beyond your understanding, don't even go there

The only frustration with chesstalk was when I couldn't post.
                ha ha you were expressing your frustration at CYCC 2015 that you were unable to delete Rene's post in chesstalk when he exposed your fraud on Sam Song's entry in U18 in the last moment, that you would have deleted it if it was CFC forum. You did delete Sid's post in your CFC forum. All you can do is curse Larry with your cronies

Unlike you, I try to look at the big picture. If someone is willing to go through the effort and expense of attending WYCC then I think we should let them as they are more likely to continue into adulthood as chess players. Players who attend CYCC have already paid $150 toward those coaches. They pay an additional $150 towards those coaches so the cost is covered. If they do not attend CYCC then they have to pay $300. Typically coaches cover eight to ten players and the cost of the coaches is covered by the fees charged and collected. So beyond slagging some parents, what are you hoping to accomplish here?
                Only big picture you know is making money for yourself even at the cost of Canadian chess. It is advertised that $150 extra is towards cost of travel expenses for the official player representatives for WYCC. Your statement that it is for coaches is an evidence of fraud.
                Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Monday, 28th March, 2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

libel by Keerti Nyayachavadi? Probably.

You are a crook ... Your statement that it is for coaches is an evidence of fraud.
                  This is libel. I hope ChessTalk doesn't become the open sewer of the past.
                  Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

You are a crook you very well know from my posting that I came to know only during the OYCC 2014 at Waterloo that there is no need to qualify through a playoff at Windsor:

a) In 2012 when my son did not qualify how the hell you know that he was not one of the children crying, would I not tell myself and my child and take him to Waterloo if I had known it was open. Get it dumb crook aka Vlad
                    This tells me exactly what you are and it is very ugly and sad. You project all of your failures and insecurities on me. This is well known unconscious psychological defense mechanism. Deep down it seems that you feel that you are being dishonest or a crook as you put it and this is painful to you and so you reject this aspect of yourself and try to externalize it and unfortunately for me in your illness you have fixated on me. Your son cried so now it is my fault because you and he didn't listen to me when I told people that OYCC was an open tournament. Obviously despite your ability to create a sock puppet on chesstalk you were not capable of doing a web search and finding the advertisement for the OYCC on the Kitchener chess club website or the CFC website or even the Windsor Chess website which indicated that OYCC was an open tournament. Instead of lashing out and blaming me for your shortcomings look in the mirror and blame yourself. If you can do this you can move from living on the level of the unconscious to the conscious level which most healthy people would prefer. This situation is one which you created by your own lack of initiative. Aside from being a volunteer arbiter at the Windsor Chess Challenge I have no control or input into the design of their website nor the content of their website.

b) In 2014 my son lost first game on time and won next two games and qualified. I did see his opponent who lost the final game to my son totally distraught, if I had known about the nonsense I would have certainly told him

c) Anyone not blind could notice children's disappointment and crying, you would be selectively temporarily blind to children's crying every year at Windsor playoffs.

d) Only if the parent of any kid crying hired you for coaching which you were soliciting there with your flyer then you would tell them that OYCC is an open tournament
                    That is nonsense but I come to expect that from you.

Only big picture you know is making money for yourself even at the cost of Canadian chess. It is advertised that $150 extra is towards cost of travel expenses for the official player representatives for WYCC. Your statement that it is for coaches is an evidence of fraud.
                    Do you have any concept of how unintelligent this statement makes you look? As someone has pointed out when you argue with an idiot, there are two idiots arguing. How does it profit me if the CFC uses part of the proceeds from CYCC to pay to send coaches to WYCC, given that I cannot go as a coach? Most players want us to send coaches to WYCC along with them. They understand that there are no magic fairies that will pay for the coaches airline tickets and hotels and honorarium and thus these need to be paid for out of the youth fund which is the proceeds of CYCC and YCC's. Perhaps we could do a survey of parents and players who attended WYCC who would prefer that we not send coaches along. The list would be fairly short.

Comment

Re: libel by Keerti Nyayachavadi? Probably.

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                      This is libel.
                      In addition, this is projection.

"Projection: possessing a feeling that is deigned as socially unacceptable and instead of facing it, that feeling or “unconscious urge” is seen in the actions of other people"

" Level 1: Pathological

The mechanisms on this level, when predominating, almost always are severely pathological. These six defences, in conjunction, permit one to effectively rearrange external experiences to eliminate the need to cope with reality. The pathological users of these mechanisms frequently appear irrational or insane to others. These are the "psychotic" defences, common in overt psychosis. However, they are normally found in dreams and throughout childhood as well.[22] They include:

Conversion: The expression of an intrapsychic conflict as a physical symptom; some examples include blindness, deafness, paralysis, or numbness. This phenomenon is sometimes called hysteria.[23]
                      Delusional projection: Delusions about external reality, usually of a persecutory nature.
                      Denial: Refusal to accept external reality because it is too threatening; arguing against an anxiety-provoking stimulus by stating it doesn't exist; resolution of emotional conflict and reduction of anxiety by refusing to perceive or consciously acknowledge the more unpleasant aspects of external reality.
                      Distortion: A gross reshaping of external reality to meet internal needs.
                      Extreme projection: The blatant denial of a moral or psychological deficiency, which is perceived as a deficiency in another individual or group.
                      Splitting: A primitive defence. Both harmful and helpful impulses are split off and unintegrated, frequently projected onto someone else. The defended individual segregates experiences into all-good and all-bad categories, with no room for ambiguity and ambivalence. When "splitting" is combined with "projecting", the undesirable qualities that one unconsciously perceives oneself as possessing, one consciously attributes to another.[24]
                      Level 2: Immature
                      These mechanisms are often present in adults. These mechanisms lessen distress and anxiety produced by threatening people or by an uncomfortable reality. Excessive use of such defences is seen as socially undesirable, in that they are immature, difficult to deal with and seriously out of touch with reality. These are the so-called "immature" defences and overuse almost always leads to serious problems in a person's ability to cope effectively. These defences are often seen in major depression and personality disorders.[22] They include:

Acting out: Direct expression of an unconscious wish or impulse in action, without conscious awareness of the emotion that drives that expressive behavior.
                      Fantasy: Tendency to retreat into fantasy in order to resolve inner and outer conflicts.
                      "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_mechanisms

For all of Freud's failings his constructs still have applicability in the area of abnormal psychology as is the situation here.
                      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 30th March, 2016, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Vlad Trying to understand himself

In addition, this is projection.

"Projection: possessing a feeling that is deigned as socially unacceptable and instead of facing it, that feeling or “unconscious urge” is seen in the actions of other people"

" Level 1: Pathological

The mechanisms on this level, when predominating, almost always are severely pathological. These six defences, in conjunction, permit one to effectively rearrange external experiences to eliminate the need to cope with reality. The pathological users of these mechanisms frequently appear irrational or insane to others. These are the "psychotic" defences, common in overt psychosis. However, they are normally found in dreams and throughout childhood as well.[22] They include:

Conversion: The expression of an intrapsychic conflict as a physical symptom; some examples include blindness, deafness, paralysis, or numbness. This phenomenon is sometimes called hysteria.[23]
                        Delusional projection: Delusions about external reality, usually of a persecutory nature.
                        Denial: Refusal to accept external reality because it is too threatening; arguing against an anxiety-provoking stimulus by stating it doesn't exist; resolution of emotional conflict and reduction of anxiety by refusing to perceive or consciously acknowledge the more unpleasant aspects of external reality.
                        Distortion: A gross reshaping of external reality to meet internal needs.
                        Extreme projection: The blatant denial of a moral or psychological deficiency, which is perceived as a deficiency in another individual or group.
                        Splitting: A primitive defence. Both harmful and helpful impulses are split off and unintegrated, frequently projected onto someone else. The defended individual segregates experiences into all-good and all-bad categories, with no room for ambiguity and ambivalence. When "splitting" is combined with "projecting", the undesirable qualities that one unconsciously perceives oneself as possessing, one consciously attributes to another.[24]
                        Level 2: Immature
                        These mechanisms are often present in adults. These mechanisms lessen distress and anxiety produced by threatening people or by an uncomfortable reality. Excessive use of such defences is seen as socially undesirable, in that they are immature, difficult to deal with and seriously out of touch with reality. These are the so-called "immature" defences and overuse almost always leads to serious problems in a person's ability to cope effectively. These defences are often seen in major depression and personality disorders.[22] They include:

Acting out: Direct expression of an unconscious wish or impulse in action, without conscious awareness of the emotion that drives that expressive behavior.
                        Fantasy: Tendency to retreat into fantasy in order to resolve inner and outer conflicts.
                        "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_mechanisms

For all of Freud's failings his constructs still have applicability in the area of abnormal psychology as is the situation here.
                        After being in denial Vlad is accepting his mental disability. It is too embarrassing for him to openly accept he is delusional,however his actions prove that beyond any reasonable doubt LMAO

Comment

Re: libel by Keerti Nyayachavadi? Probably.

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                          This is libel. I hope ChessTalk doesn't become the open sewer of the past.
                          You and Vlad two nut cases, take your garbage to CFC forum which Vlad controls by censorship

Comment

Working...
                          X