Karjakin will play King's Gambit against Carlsen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karjakin will play King's Gambit against Carlsen

Sergey Karjakin has announced that if given the opportunity he will open his title challenge with Magnus Carlsen in New York in November by playing the venerable King's Gambit.

http://www.mk.ru/sport/2016/03/31/po...na-20-let.html

"I have always considered myself to be a King's Gambit player at heart. If I have White in the first game I will open with the move e2-e4, and if Carlsen replies with e7-e5 I will definitely unleash the gambit. Given the Agon fiasco in Moscow, this decision should give the world chess championship much some much-needed publicity."

In 1960, challenger Mikhail Tal made a similar announcement before his title match with champion Mikhail Botvinnik, promising to open with the King's Pawn in the first game. He did just that, defeating Botvinnik's French Defence in just 32 moves to take a lead that he did not relinquish.

Re: Karjakin will play King's Gambit against Carlsen

Thats a very good start on promotion of this match.

Comment

Or is it April Fools?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        Or is it April Fools?
        Yes, I'm afraid it's a prank. But a King's Gambit or two would make great publicity!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
          Yes, I'm afraid it's a prank. But a King's Gambit or two would make great publicity!
          The King's Gambit still gets played occasionally at GM level, and is no worse than the Evans Gambit IMHO, which Kasparov briefly gave some fresh popularity to some years ago.

A braver April Fool's joke would have been to promise to play a Bird's Opening. Few would fall for the joke, making those who would feel all the more foolish. To add to the indignity, a promise to transpose to the King's Gambit, if allowed, could have been added, too.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
          X