X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Ratings Race Through Chess History

A Ratings Race Through Chess History

April 5, 2016

There is an interesting and amazing video of the ratings of top players through chess history on a moving graph. It is at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2DHpW79w0Y

The programmer is abacaba. He used three different rating systems to cover the players over the period 1809 to 2016 – EDO, CMR and ELO. The y-axis is a rating of how well chess players compete against each other.

The graph moves through time and it is much like a horse race with individuals entering the top ten and then disappearing.

In the modern era, I was quite impressed with Lasker (yellow), how strong he was for such a long time. I started cheering for Fischer (green) as his curve surpassed all others and then, Kasparov (blue), head and shoulders above the other masters.

Some comments:

(kingcrusher) - A fantastic video which really helps put players in perspective. Well done and many thanks

- I got really sad when Paul Morphy's line just ended.

- I NEED THAT CHART AS A POSTER!

- This is literally watching people get old and die.

- Great video!

- Beautiful
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 5th April, 2016, 10:50 PM.

Re: A Ratings Race Through Chess History

'Gizmodo' comments on the "visualization" with a link to both Abacaba and his Go ratings video.

http://gizmodo.com/beautiful-visuali...pla-1768879487

Comment

It's a challenge deciding what flags to use, but I agree with the video's comments that the Soviet flag should probably have been used (at least for those that had their entire careers in the USSR before 1990). Likewise - a couple of Irish flags show up prior to 1921, and I think some post-Yugoslavia breakup flags show up prior to its breakup date. To be even pickier, Morphy's US flag probably doesn't have the right number of stars for the era.

A excellent presentation.

Comment

A Ratings Race Through Chess History

April 6, 2016

I have run through the video keeping my eye on the lower right corner, where the other top players are bunched and was quite interested to see Evgeny Bareev there from 1990 (age 24) until 2004 (36).

Fourteen years among the very strongest is quite an achievement.

Comment

Working...
        X