X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help teaching juniors around 700 - 1000

Just wondering if there are any suggestions about how to teach juniors
    The biggest problem is make them slow down
    Looking for something with the basics but beyond how to play?

Books Exercises etc

Thanks Lee

Re: Help teaching juniors around 700 - 1000

http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/teaching-manual.pdf

Comment

Thanks Vlad that's one we had in mind

Comment

Getting the kids to slow down can be a project. Once you succeed, that is when they start improving in leaps and bounds.

Comment

tell them what to think about and don't just berate them for moving quickly...

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Getting the kids to slow down can be a project. Once you succeed, that is when they start improving in leaps and bounds.
          That makes sense. Here's something from "Developing Chess Talent" that really got my attention.

Originally posted by Developing Chess Talent
          Moving Too Fast:

Beginning youth players tend to play fast. They end up with a lot of extra time, and blunder a lot along the way. The often irritates ambitious parents. The question is whether these children would blunder less if they stared longer at a position. Themes they do not recognize, they will not recognize either if they take more time to study a position. Techniques that they do not master, they will not be able to apply with more time either. In short, they have nothing to spend all these minutes on. Youth players play chess because they like the game. That should be the starting point. To tell them to use more time is of no use to these children. Not even if the coach draws an angry face while telling them this. The following rules can help, however. They may be useful tools for beginning youth players to help them think a little more systematically and blunder less.
          The authors then discuss CCAP, CIEPC, and an exercise called the four column scoresheet.

* CCAP: every move, look at Checks, Captures, Attacks, and Plans;
          * CIEPC: when a piece is under attack, use this rule of deciding on whether to Capture, Interpose, Evade, Protect, or Counterattack;
          * 4 column scoresheet with (a) own move, (b) 2nd possible own move, (c) expected move by opponent, and (d) actual move by opponent.

I've used these myself with some success. When I first read this, it really stopped me dead. Of course I noticed youngsters playing too quickly. But what was I doing to help their thinking? That's what we do as coaches, really. We teach how to think. And if our thinking is disorganized, then what can we expect of students, etc.?

See Developing Chess Talent, Karel and Merijm van Delft, KVDC, 2010 (English) Apeldoorn, The Netherlands.
          See www.kvdc.nl (Dutch)
          See http://www.schaaktalent.nl/index.php/english-articles (English)

Developing Chess Talent: http://www.chesstalent.com/
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 8th April, 2016, 02:37 PM. Reason: references, etc.
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
          X