• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurice Fox

From Edward Winter's "Chess Notes":

"6115. Maurice Fox
    John Donaldson (Berkeley, CA, USA) writes:

‘Jeremy Gaige’s Chess Personalia states that the Canadian master Maurice Fox was born on 14 January 1898 in the Ukraine, as per the account in Chess World, December 1949, page 291. That magazine also says that Fox settled in England at the age of six months. Did his parents emigrate to England or were they British nationals returning after residing in the Ukraine? This leads to the question of whether or not he was born “Maurice Fox”. Also, was his birth-date 14 January 1898 in the Gregorian or the Julian calendar?’

Below is the biographical item in Chess World referred to by Mr Donaldson:"

(an image of a page from (Australia's?) "Chess World", Dec. 1, 1949, is displayed).

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/index.html

(scroll down to item 6115)

Re: Maurice Fox

I was giving a simul for charity in Brighton Ontario in the early 1990s when a woman approached me saying her father was a chess champion. "Oh yes", i said while moving from board to board. She continued "His name was Maurice Fox. Have you heard of him?". I was quite surprised and rather non-plussed. We chatted briefly. She didn't stay long but after she left, I immediately thought of about a dozen questions I wish i'd asked! Isn't that always the way....

(i'm 90% sure she said father, might just have been uncle though)...

Wish we could point her your way now Hugh! Could fill in a lot for you!

Comment

Working...
    X