Extra! Extra! Bobby Fischer Was A Complete Dick! (Old CBC TV interview)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra! Extra! Bobby Fischer Was A Complete Dick! (Old CBC TV interview)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdA7I9nPhSU

And yes, I've heard his radio interviews from September 11th, 2001 also, which are much more hate filled. But this video was new to me.

Re: Extra! Extra! Bobby Fischer Was A Complete Dick! (Old CBC TV interview)

at least he was not just some little inconsequential dick

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
      at least he was not just some little inconsequential dick
      If it's a star they are called "colourful". A patser would be called a Dick.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I note that Susan Polgar comes to Bobby's defence on women in chess in her blog:

Bobby Fischer on women in chess

" Here is a very disturbing interview with Bobby Fischer about women in chess and women in general.

This interview was done 6 years before I was born. When Fischer met me and stayed at my family's home in Hungary back around 1993, he no longer had the same view about women in chess. "

Bob

Comment

Besides all that crap, we have to remember that he was a great chess player too. No any doubts about that. If not the best one ever in the history?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
            If not the best one ever in the history?
            He was a predecessor of the best ever players - Karpov and Kasparov.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              He was a predecessor of the best ever players - Karpov and Kasparov.

Karpov & Kasparov, what did they ever do to attract mass public attention and single handidly create a golden age of chess all over the world but particularly in North America?

oh yes, I forgot the famous adjournment controversy

Comment

Karpov & Kasparov, what did they ever do to attract mass public attention and single handidly create a golden age of chess all over the world but particularly in North America?

oh yes, I forgot the famous adjournment controversy
                How have Fischer attracted? By hating the Soviets? Mass media attracted patzers who disappeared so quick as his title. Was he who resign a match without a game? Loser

Karpov and Kasparov had guts to fight each other about a decade. Even Botvinnik was better in terms of the player - after loosing matches to Smyslov and Tal, he would come back to fight and reign again. Probably Korchnoi with Lasker are the toughest players ever.
                Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 29th May, 2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

How have Fischer attracted? By hating the Soviets? Mass media attracted patzers who disappeared so quick as his title. Was he who resign a match without a game? Loser
                  I don't think that's exactly accurate. There is no doubt Fischer attracted players during his championship years. I saw that at the Scarborough Club. Our membership grew but while we were at the old building the number of members was limited by the capacity. We could not have more members than the fire regulations allowed for that building.

The correspondence club also increased greatly in members. In the mid 80's the CCCA was around 700 members, near it's high, and with more members than after Karpov won the title by forfeit. The drop off in numbers happened after that and I don't know the reason because I wasn't involved after that time.

Still, chess is the entertainment industry and it's necessary to keep people interested.

I'd like to say something about Patsers. I always loved them. They are the heart and soul of the chess clubs. They are the base of every organization, from which the stars come. It's the Patsers who always made organizing worthwhile for me.

Very good players can look after themselves.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Karpov and Kasparov had guts to fight each other about a decade. Even Botvinnik was better in terms of the player - after loosing matches to Smyslov and Tal, he would come back to fight and reign again. Probably Korchnoi with Lasker are the toughest players ever.
                    If I have to explain the Fischer era to you I take it you just started playing chess recently?

The Canada vs USSR event was one of the biggest things in hockey, Canada still remembers Henderson's goal and yes there was rivalry & even hatred, get over it. Chess and hockey and sports are subsitutes for war, without the bloodletting thank goodness. So you consider people who can't play chess as well as you to not be worthy of playing chess? We are all patzers my friend compared to a 2700 player and compared to Bobby Fischer. If you want to take that viewpoint then don't talk to me about Fisher until your rating is as strong as his, you patzer. :p:p The Hamilton chess club in the 1970s/80s was 20 times bigger than it is today.

Don't tell me the Soviets were immune from hatred or rivalry with other countries or systems, they weren't all Comrade Nice Guys who just wanted to be liked by everyone. They wanted to win as much as anyone else, in the Olympics, at world championships, in the space race, in the arms race, on the ideological front, on the espionage front.

I don't even know that I ever heard that Fischer hated Spassky.

Comment

So you consider people who can't play chess as well as you to not be worthy of playing chess?
                      You should re-read what was written and not make such conclusions. I'm trying to attract novice (does not mean kids) players to the club within my possibilities. You're welcome as well ;)

The Hamilton chess club in the 1970s/80s was 20 times bigger than it is today.
                      Your numbers confirms, what I wrote - huge rise, painful fall. Would he played against Karpov, you might write 1000x bigger :p (hmm, probably, that would be even worse )
                      Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 29th May, 2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

You should re-read what was written and not make such conclusions. I'm trying to attract novice (does not mean kids) players to the club within my possibilities. You're welcome as well ;)

Your numbers confirms, what I wrote - huge rise, painful fall. Would he played against Karpov, you might write 1000x bigger :p
                        Fischer was responsible for the rise, not for the fall, it was his right to leave chess if he wanted, he wasn't obligated to continue playing

you can always blame your predecessor but the responsibility belongs with the new guy, heavy weighs the crown of World Champion - Karpov and FIDE didn't or couldn't maintain what Fischer created - not Fischer's issue

the people who left you characterized as patzers, many of them were not as I know many of the people who used to play at the Hamilton club and don't anymore & they include many fine players, they include my chess coach from highschool who is still a life CFC member

Comment

Fischer

the people who left you characterized as patzers, many of them were not as I know many of the people who used to play at the Hamilton club and don't anymore & they include many fine players, they include my chess coach from highschool who is still a life CFC member
                          patzer -amateurish chess player. Is there something more to know? I did not want to use woodpushers, as plastic sets are much more popular ;)

What was Montreal'79 impact on Canadian chess, where Karpov and Tal shared the first place? Saint John blitz with Tal as the winner, and Karpov with Kasparov coming from their drawn title match?

Do you still remember Kramnik-Topalov match? _________ Don't say that your first thought was a toilet.

Comment

Re: Fischer

patzer -amateurish chess player. Is there something more to know? I did not want to use woodpushers, as plastic sets are much more popular ;)

What was Montreal'79 impact on Canadian chess, where Karpov and Tal shared the first place? Saint John blitz with Tal as the winner, and Karpov with Kasparov coming from their drawn title match?

Do you still remember Kramnik-Topalov match? _________ Don't say that your first thought was a toilet.
                            amateurish chess player? you mean not a professional? most chess players are not professionals nor do they have ratings that would suggest they could be professionals - you've just called 99% of the membership of the CFC patzers

Comment

Re: Fischer

amateurish chess player? you mean not a professional? most chess players are not professionals nor do they have ratings that would suggest they could be professionals - you've just called 99% of the membership of the CFC patzers
                              The other 1% of the members are called honourary. :)
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X