The 28th Annual Canadian Chess Challenge will be held in Regina Saskatchewan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 28th Annual Canadian Chess Challenge will be held in Regina Saskatchewan!

I am very proud to announce that this year the CMA Finals of the Canadian Chess Challenge will have completed the circuit of the 10 provinces in Canada! Yes. the event becomes the first National Championship in the history of chess in Canada to have been hosted by all 10 provinces.

The pairings for the event which will be held over the Victoria Day weekend are posted here: http://chess-math.org/schedule-pairings

You will be able to follow the event live at the Chess'n Math website: www.chess-math.org.

The Chess'n Math Association is Canada's National Scholastic Chess Organization. We thank you for your support over the last 31 years!

Larry Bevand
    Executive Director
    Chess'n Math Association

Re: The 28th Annual Canadian Chess Challenge will be held in Regina Saskatchewan!

Time to work on the territories now!

Comment

Re: The 28th Annual Canadian Chess Challenge will be held in Regina Saskatchewan!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      I am very proud to announce that this year the CMA Finals of the Canadian Chess Challenge will have completed the circuit of the 10 provinces in Canada! Yes. the event becomes the first National Championship in the history of chess in Canada to have been hosted by all 10 provinces.

The pairings for the event which will be held over the Victoria Day weekend are posted here: http://chess-math.org/schedule-pairings

You will be able to follow the event live at the Chess'n Math website: www.chess-math.org.

The Chess'n Math Association is Canada's National Scholastic Chess Organization. We thank you for your support over the last 31 years!

Larry Bevand
      Executive Director
      Chess'n Math Association
      Thanks to Chris Dawson of Newfoundland, you will be able to see the results of this event posted live. See who is taking part. The event starts this Sunday: http://www.chess-challenge.chess-mat...lish/index.xml

Grade 11 is extremely competitive with 4 masters taking part: http://www.chess-challenge.chess-mat...lish/index.xml

Comment

The event begins at 9:10am Regina time today or 11:10am Toronto time. Results are posted immediately after a game finishes. See link in previous post. Also Victoria has started posting pictures on our Facebook page. Take a loook: Chess'n Math Association Alumni.

Comment

I see that Nicholas Vettese (Ontario, grade 6) has a (CMA, I presume) rating of 1859, while his CFC rating is 2266. :-)

Comment

I can't find the play-off results for gr. 2, 3, 4 and 11
            Last edited by Rene Preotu; Tuesday, 24th May, 2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
              I can't find the play-off results for gr. 2, 3, 4 and 11
              I figured out the winners from the Facebook photos.

https://www.facebook.com/Chessn-Math...-123643812058/

Comment

I have asked for identification of the players and their grades in the photos - hopefully someone on Facebook will do so. I hate seeing a bunch of anonymous faces without some sort of description.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                  I figured out the winners from the Facebook photos.

https://www.facebook.com/Chessn-Math...-123643812058/
                  The Individual results appear here:

http://www.chess-challenge.chess-mat...lish/index.xml

The playoffs:

CCC 2016
                  Playoff results

grade 1
                  2. Ryan Wang BC
                  3. Andrew Ksenych ON

grade 2
                  1. Anthony Atanasov ON
                  2. Kevin Zhong QC

grade 3
                  1. Max Chen ON
                  2. Richard Zheng QC

grade 4
                  1. Nameer Issani ON
                  2. Haruaki Omichi QC

grade 6
                  3. Leo Qu BC
                  4. Ian Zhao AB
                  5. Alexander Sasata

grade 8
                  3. Derek Ma MB
                  4. Jeff Wang AB

grade 9
                  2. Ananda Saha QC
                  3. Matthew Geng BC

grade 11
                  1. Janak Awatramani BC
                  2. Michael Song ON
                  3. Olivier Kenta Chiku-Ratte QC

grade 12
                  2. Zehn Nasir ON
                  3. Adam Dorrance NS

Comment

Well Saskatchewan did not disappoint!

They put on a great show and the weatherman helped out also! The University of Regina campus is awesome! As one of the youngsters said...(speaking of the residence)...can I go back to the hotel now :). The organizing committee headed by Lauri Lintott did a great job! (To make this work it always takes a team...so I will name some, but will certainly forget many others...Narom, Simon and Jil were major contributors :). For a city boy like me...seeing Jack Rabbits, Canadian Geese and Prairie Dogs all over the campus, was a treat...for the kids...playing Laser Tag was heaven on earth!

Next year the event will be held in Toronto and in 2018 we go to Newfoundland! Vancouver has an option for 2019.

I have been at all 28 Canadian Chess Challenge events and I must confess that this year was one of the best!

Thanks to everyone for making our 28th edition of this event a special one. See you in Toronto next year!

Larry Bevand
                    Executive Director
                    Chess`n Math Association

Comment

I really enjoyed following the results online Larry - although I forgot that the action doesn't actually get going until Sunday! The final match between Ontario and Quebec was a nail biting 6-6 draw. Saskatchewan scored a respectable 4.5 match points and I'm not sure when they last managed to do that. Beautiful stuff.

Comment

I would like to post some feedback I got from a couple of students. They enjoyed the tournament itself but the behaviour of some of the participants, in the opinion of my students, was not appropriate. The Chess Challenge arbiters have to crack down on players talking to each other and otherwise disturbing opponents during the games. Rules should be enforced and there should be penalties.

If the Chess Challenge is going to be a serious event then it should have serious rules, particularly for the higher grades (say 6+).
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I have only attended a handful of these events and there was never any hint of inappropriate behaviours. Maybe the arbiters would benefit from some training and/or some clearer sense of expectations?

Comment

Working...
                          X