Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new tournament format

Hi Kevin & John,

Mississauga Chess Club is trying just such an experiment now. The tournament started last week, check out the other thread, Mississauga Summer Swiss Tournament, for details. Games continue for the next 4 weeks on thursday evenings.

In an effort to include everyone, CFC membership and entry fee (cash prizes) are both optional, but all in 1 section.

Check out our website for details. Players can join tournament for round 2 this thursday, 1/2 byes for round 1.

Mississauga Chess Club is not afraid to try new ideas.

Comment

Re: CFC Membership Stats

"If people are [always] content just to play chess in such a 'second tournament', the CFC would [always] be garnering no revenue from them. "

Not directly, at least not right away.

Setting aside that probably over time some of the players would want to try the first tournament, as you point out, there is another benefit. The fixed expenses (particulary the site cost) per person would be lowered. This would mean that the organizer could either funnel more money into the prize fund and/or keep entry fees lower while offering the same product. Presumably this would increase participation. One particulary good aspect of the plan is that in areas where there are a lot of juniors participating, and where the parents are chess players but not 'serious' ones, you have something for the parents to do rather than wait for hours while Johnny or Janey play their tournament games.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Seeing Bob and Tom's posts, there is both the will of some clubs/organizers, as well as a number of fairly tangible benefits to the CFC (at least in the long run), for such 'second tournaments' (in John's way of putting it).

Now the question becomes, what can the CFC do in the way of policy to give more clubs/organizers incentives if necessary to hold such 'second tournaments'? The CFC might try to make a cost/benefit analysis, if it's possible, as to what incentive(s) to provide. Gift certificates or some sort of compensation to organizers for providing trophies would be ideas. On the other hand, the CFC might just sit back and see if such 'second tournaments' catch on across the country without CFC incentives being provided...is there a good reason for the CFC not to do so?
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

The key has nothing whatsoever to do with the CFC or CFC policy. The CFC is equally as incompetent in the most successful and least successful regions of the country. In fact, they probably hurt more successful areas more by trying to exact a tax for ... well, for very little, thus potentially stunting tournament growth.

The key is to have local organizers to run chess tournaments that people want to play in.

A good example of "CFC Think" that I witnessed first-hand was the introduction of the CYCC roughly a decade ago. Originally, it was intended to be a series of local events all across the country, feeding into regional events, then provincials, then a national championship. Only one small snag: there was almost zero will to run these events and definitely zero outreach by the CFC to facilitate them. The CFC was big on ideas, but very small on followthrough. Nothing has changed in that department, wouldn't you say?

As I pointed out at the EOCA AGM:

- FIDE has a better rating system

- provinces, regions and even some cities have a better web presence

- the OCA and CFC provide virtually nothing for their membership fees to the "average" member

- on matters where the CFC could make a difference, like resurrecting their TD Certification Program (you know, to give a helping hand to TDs and organizers, the CFC's unpaid salesmen), they apparently do nothing

Why the regional and provincial organizations don't walk away from the CFC is a mystery to me. It is the local organizers/TDs who have the biggest impact. They are likely to find a voice locally, not nationally or even in some cases provincially.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Hi Kevin:

My memory gets less adequate as time passes, but I recollect that Tony Ficzere was a committee of one for the CFC looking into the question of what happens re expired members. Or it may have been to generate proposals to raise new membership. In any event, he may have some info to shed some light on this question of expiring/new memberships.

Bob

Comment

Re: A new tournament format

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Mississauga Chess Club is trying just such an experiment now. The tournament started last week, check out the other thread, Mississauga Summer Swiss Tournament, for details. Games continue for the next 4 weeks on thursday evenings.

In an effort to include everyone, CFC membership and entry fee (cash prizes) are both optional, but all in 1 section.
              Bob,

How will you overcome the rule: "All players in a rated event must be CFC members for the inclusive dates of play."?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                Why the regional and provincial organizations don't walk away from the CFC is a mystery to me. It is the local organizers/TDs who have the biggest impact. They are likely to find a voice locally, not nationally or even in some cases provincially.
                FIDE recognizes only a one national organization, and that is the CFC. Another reason might be that the CFC rating helps to sort players into sections.

Comment

It is only a requirement that all players in the FIDE events be CFC members, not that the event be CFC-rated. If an event isn't FIDE-rated, it isn't difficult with computers to find a virtually free alternative to the CFC rating system that is serviceable.

Comment

If an event isn't FIDE-rated, it isn't difficult with computers to find a virtually free alternative to the CFC rating system that is serviceable.
                    Will you make steps to establish such system? ;) otherwise it only good intentions similar to the CFC as you wrote ("The CFC was big on ideas, but very small on follow through.")

The current "Chess life" has a very good article about the chess club which rose their membership numbers to almost 300. Those who has no access to the article a little bit different version http://www.fresnobee.com/221/story/1441541.html

Comment

I did volunteer to perform the calculations for those EOCA events which were not FIDE-rated (and therefore did not require people become CFC members) for $1/player, and of course no membership fee required. I repeat that offer now. Feel better? ;-)

Here in Ottawa, the EOCA President told me he thought it is unnecessary to adopt another rating system to replace the CFC's. I think his reasoning was that there are already large numbers of players with full or partial FIDE ratings in the city, and most of the events are now FIDE-rated.

The new regulations, found here:

http://www.chesselo.com/new_fide_system.html

mention, in part ...

"9. The FIDE Rating Floor (minimum rating to be published)

• 1600, effective until 1 July 2009.

Instead:

• 1200, effective from 1 July 2009."

This seems to suggest that pretty much every player who plays in Ottawa events will, in a very short time (one year? two?), have a published FIDE rating, at which time what is the point of having a CFC one?

So even if they took me up on the offer, I doubt I would make very much money! ;-)

In other regions, where there are no active FIDE-rated players (and probably not very many players at all), they can always create their own local rating system, which is the point of my previous post.

Comment

Hi Tom:

Can you clarify something for me. I hear you say that a FIDE-rated tournament can have non-CFC members and still be FIDE-rated.

But will the tournament still have to go through CFC hands to get to FIDE, as the recognized national body? If so, how is CFC to be compensated for handling non-CFC tournament players, who make no contribution to CFC?

I have to admit some leaning toward your asserting that if the FIDE floor rating is going to 1200, then maybe the need for 2 rating systems, and paying 2 rating fees, seems suspect.

Bob

Comment

Sorry, either I miswrote or you misinterpreted.
                          Tournaments can be FIDE-rated without needing to be CFC-rated. At least according to the email I have from Bob Gillanders, sent to both EOCA President Aris Marghetis and myself when Bob was ED. However, all people playing in the event have to be CFC members.

The CFC can always add a surcharge/handling charge when receiving FIDE-rated events. They should just face facts: the CFC rating system has become zombulated.

Comment

Sorry, either I miswrote or you misinterpreted.
                            Tournaments can be FIDE-rated without needing to be CFC-rated. At least according to the email I have from Bob Gillanders, sent to both EOCA President Aris Marghetis and myself when Bob was ED. However, all people playing in the event have to be CFC members.

The CFC can always add a surcharge/handling charge when receiving FIDE-rated events. They should just face facts: the CFC rating system has become zombulated.
                            Nice Word !!!

Bob

Comment

The stats are now posted here:

http://www.chess.ca/MemStats.htm

At first blush, the numbers look good. Total membership went from 1811 to 1920. However, both the Junior and Adult memberships are down yet again. The statistics are "saved" by the rise in Junior Participating memberships. I wonder how many events the typical Junior Participating Member plays in. Also, why can juniors get participating memberships while adults cannot? Does anyone out there believe that the webzine (which has now been officially open for more than four months) has, say, more than $5/year per member of value?
                              I think they should have also included the Tournament memberships in this report. This will be especially interesting in 2010, one year after the rate changes this past May.

Comment

Working...
                              X