Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike rider?

Do you ride a bike?

I just got back into bike riding. I'll be doing a lot of off road riding so I bought a 2016 Kahuna:

http://www.konaworld.com/kahuna.cfm

Tonight was my first ride out! Did some smooth hard trail and some street. I thru on a pair of Conti 175s to get the feel of this amazing bike before I get to some wooded trails when I'll put back on the Maxxis. And this bike is awesome, super fast and responsive! Even on those fatty streets the bike feels like it is part of me. Gear changes are intuitive, incredibly smooth.

I did about 30 km including hard trail, Cateye Volt beaming, in what felt like a flash.

Of course my legs now feel like rubber. Wore my backpack with only a two pound weight inside probably not a good idea...

Re: Bike rider?

Play blindfold chess while you are bike riding. It is a good challenge. Ive been bike riding for years and years.

Comment

Did you get a green too? :)

While I ride a bike all year long but only 5 min in morning, 5 min back home in evening :)

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
        Do you ride a bike?

I just got back into bike riding. I'll be doing a lot of off road riding so I bought a 2016 Kahuna:

http://www.konaworld.com/kahuna.cfm

Tonight was my first ride out! Did some smooth hard trail and some street. I thru on a pair of Conti 175s to get the feel of this amazing bike before I get to some wooded trails when I'll put back on the Maxxis. And this bike is awesome, super fast and responsive! Even on those fatty streets the bike feels like it is part of me. Gear changes are intuitive, incredibly smooth.

I did about 30 km including hard trail, Cateye Volt beaming, in what felt like a flash.

Of course my legs now feel like rubber. Wore my backpack with only a two pound weight inside probably not a good idea...
        If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for? I'm looking for a new bike too.

Thank you

Comment

Great suggestion Hans, I'm mostly thinking about solving some sort of design problem anyways so trying that will be fun too!

I admire those who have stuck with human power, kudos to ya!

Comment

Yes I did that exact model!

Did another 20km this evening! This bike really loves to play. I'm having a difficult time coming up with a name for it. Green Flash, taken. Green Bolt, that's taken too...

Seems like your 5 min commute works perfect! Do you ride all seasons?
            Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 13th May, 2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Don't mind at all, just under 2k including taxes.

Kona is a legendary Canadian (now head quartered in the US) high quality company that's has been building quality frames since the earliest days of off road biking. Rocky Mountain the other. This bike's aluminum frame with all Shimano Deore components make for a durable long lasting high quality build.

I added a Cateye Volt, another set of tires and extra tube for the Maxxis and a repair kit including an amazing pump. I'd hate to blow a tire out in back woods and not be able ride back. I also grabbed a U lock & cable for city riding. From what I've heard from the bike shops 1 in 10 bike get stolen.

Forgot to mention that I also swapped the pedals for pair of Race Face. The crank is also by Race Face. Race Face is another great Canadian company tried and tested in our west coast!

Before letting go of dollar one I did a ton of research. Some of best advice I received was from mechanics who work in bike shops day-in and day-out. If you have any questions, talk to them and hope I can help too.

I found this site to be of great service:
              http://www.mtbr.com/
              Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 11th May, 2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

About 10 years ago I bought my first bike as an adult. It easily paid for itself in the gas money I saved going to work from time to time. The other day I purchased my second bike over the phone and am going to pick it up when I go to the city this weekend. They are actually going to do a professional fitting for me - so they will measure me and set the seat and handle bars perfectly. It's a Trek DS 8.2 and I'm pretty excited.

Comment

Seems like your 5 min commute works perfect! Do you ride all seasons?
                  Yep. Sidewalks are cleaned after snowstorms, and no pedestrians anyway. Though, I would not risk going on streets in winter :/

Comment

Don't mind at all, just under 2k including taxes.

Kona is a legendary Canadian (now head quartered in the US) high quality company that's has been building quality frames since the earliest days of off road biking. Rocky Mountain the other. This bike's aluminum frame with all Shimano Deore components make for a durable long lasting high quality build.

I added a Cateye Volt, another set of tires and extra tube for the Maxxis and a repair kit including an amazing pump. I'd hate to blow a tire out in back woods and not be able ride back. I also grabbed a U lock & cable for city riding. From what I've heard from the bike shops 1 in 10 bike get stolen.

Forgot to mention that I also swapped the pedals for pair of Race Face. The crank is also by Race Face. Race Face is another great Canadian company tried and tested in our west coast!

Before letting go of dollar one I did a ton of research. Some of best advice I received was from mechanics who work in bike shops day-in and day-out. If you have any questions, talk to them and hope I can help too.

I found this site to be of great service:
                    http://www.mtbr.com/
                    Great info. I found a dealer in my area and I'll check his pricing.

Thank you,

Comment

Nice bike that DS 8.2! Proper fitting makes a world of difference ...especially when buying a saddle and knowing your pressure points on the saddle and then locating correct post height.

Hope your bike is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                      X