Voting members of CFC and other matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voting members of CFC and other matters

I am new here and I have some questions about CFC. Please do not treat this thread as another post to criticize CFC as it is not my intention but to improve chess in Canada.

1. Voting members of CFC
    1.1 Where can I find the composition of voting members and the governors ?
    1.2 What are the job responsibility of them ?
    1.3 Any job that they are handling ?
    1.4 Will it be really effective to be a voting member to make things happen in CFC ?
    1.5 " Pending work " that CFC are not able to do without the volunteers ? Can we know the list so that maybe the members/public can help on this area. Thanks to Peter M who is willing to update the CFC handbook. If I can help in other areas, will gladly do so as well

2. Promote chess in school and public in Canada
    2.1 What are the plans of CFC to improve the number of memberships ?

3. National tournaments
    3.1 Canadian Closed
    3.2 Women's Canadian Closed
    3.3 Canadian Junior
    3.4 Are we able to hold the above tournaments on a consistent basis ?
    3.5 Is there an incentive or should I say " worthwhile " for an organizer to hold the above tournaments ?

Again, please do not treat this as something of an attack on CFC. Just want to see if I can help CFC in anyway I can.

I have organized a couple of tournaments ( and I know it is not easy ) and I also started up a chess club (again lots of work ) so I know probably what is CFC going through. Lots of work no doubt but I really hope CFC knows what needs to be done ( list of what needs to be done ) and most importantly how to improve the number of memberships in Canada.

Gary Hua

P/S Not sure if there is going to be any feedback on the above

Re: Voting members of CFC and other matters

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
    I am new here and I have some questions about CFC. Please do not treat this thread as another post to criticize CFC as it is not my intention but to improve chess in Canada.

1. Voting members of CFC
    You can't unless you are a voting member though it might be possible to find out who the voting members are for your region through the AGM of the province or appropriate chess league in the case of Ontario.

1.2 What are the job responsibility of them ?
    To vote according to their own conscience in the best interest of the CFC, chess and the members of the CFC.

1.3 Any job that they are handling ?
    They are handling every job that Bob Gillanders and John Upper are not doing.

1.4 Will it be really effective to be a voting member to make things happen in CFC ?
    That depends on what you put into it. People that put a lot into it can get a lot accomplished I would think.

1.5 " Pending work " that CFC are not able to do without the volunteers ?
    I need some administrators for Premium Chess. This will be the platform for FIDE's Chess In the Schools initiative.

Probably some help with updating other parts of the handbook.

Can we know the list so that maybe the members/public can help on this area. Thanks to Peter M who is willing to update the CFC handbook. If I can help in other areas, will gladly do so as well

2. Promote chess in school and public in Canada
    2.1 What are the plans of CFC to improve the number of memberships ?
    Its mainly to encourage people to hold more tournaments and bring more people into the chess family.

3. National tournaments
    3.1 Canadian Closed
    3.2 Women's Canadian Closed
    3.3 Canadian Junior
    3.4 Are we able to hold the above tournaments on a consistent basis ?
    3.5 Is there an incentive or should I say " worthwhile " for an organizer to hold the above tournaments ?
    That cannot be the way to proceed as the CFC would go bankrupt if we had to pay people to organize these tournaments. You have to be able to raise the money yourself and it is not that hard. After these summer tournaments I will probably write up how to approach sponsors. I have spent about two and a half hours talking to people and have raised about $16,000 in pledges and projected cash for the CFC youth fund ($5000) and these tournaments. If I didn't have to spend so much time fighting people who are trying to sabotage things I probably could raise a lot more.

Again, please do not treat this as something of an attack on CFC. Just want to see if I can help CFC in anyway I can.

I have organized a couple of tournaments ( and I know it is not easy ) and I also started up a chess club (again lots of work ) so I know probably what is CFC going through. Lots of work no doubt but I really hope CFC knows what needs to be done ( list of what needs to be done ) and most importantly how to improve the number of memberships in Canada.

Gary Hua

P/S Not sure if there is going to be any feedback on the above
    Hopefully the thread won't have to be deleted when certain individuals arrive.

Comment

1. Voting members of CFC
      Composition?
      I'll take as a simple " a list" - look at the CFC forum for Annual Incoming and Quarterly meetings Sign In: you'll get names who at least bother to sign in. Like this one: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/po...do=showresults

Comment

1. Voting members of CFC
        Pretty sure they're made of atoms. Mostly carbon, oxygen, hyrdogen, nitrogen and a little bit of phosphorus and sulfur.

As for your other questions, I have absolutely no idea and my safe guess would be to stay out of that.

Comment

Thanks Vlad and Egidijus for the answers. Appreciate that very much.

Next question - is there any more vacancy/position left to be a VM in Ontario ? I would be interested to be one.

Thanks

Comment

Next question - is there any more vacancy/position left to be a VM in Ontario ? I would be interested to be one.
            Where do you live? Do you belong to the GTCL or SWOCL?
            If GTCL - contact Michael Barron
            If SWOCL - read this one http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...4694-Swocl-agm

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Where do you live? Do you belong to the GTCL or SWOCL?
              If GTCL - contact Michael Barron
              If SWOCL - read this one http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...4694-Swocl-agm
              Thanks Egidijus. I will contact Garvin Nunes ( SWOCL )

Comment

Working...
              X