Poll: Will Kirsan be in NYC for the World Ch in November?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Will Kirsan be in NYC for the World Ch in November?

Question: Will Kirsan make it to NYC for the World Championship in November 2016?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. The venue will be changed to some other location.

Some explanatory remarks. I recently read a column by Gwynne Dyer in which he noted the following: " ... the U.S. State Department has finally abandoned the fantasy of a “moderate” rebel force that could defeat both the regime and the Islamist rebels in Syria, and instead is going along with the Russian strategy." While his evidence isn't very detailed, he has been pretty accurate in past analysis.

If he's correct, and the Merricans go "along" with the Russian strategy, then once they figure out a face-saving approach (Dyer is of the opinion that the Russians will have no interest in rubbing their noses in it) , it's not going to make much sense to continue with their "Syria supports terrorists" etc. approach. Which was always pretty block-headed IMHO.

The article is here for those interested: In the end, the Russians were right on Syria

The point is that they won't be able to promote two contradictory policies at the same time and Treasury would then likely drop their spurious claims. Time will tell, of course.
    Yes, and with a winning smile to boot.
    66.67%
    No, the personal sanctions will remain.
    33.33%
    Neither; the venue will be changed.
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Sunday, 22nd May, 2016, 02:24 AM. Reason: Dyer article link, etc.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: Poll: Will Kirsan be in NYC for the World Ch in November?

If that turns out to be the case who thinks that many of the same people who are complaining about us not getting the FIDE norm tournament money will then deride us for accepting the FIDE norm tournament money without skipping a beat?

Comment

the United States of Forget etc.

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      If that turns out to be the case who thinks that many of the same people who are complaining about us not getting the FIDE norm tournament money will then deride us for accepting the FIDE norm tournament money without skipping a beat?
      In describing his own country, the late, great Gore Vidal once wrote: "We live in the United States of Forget. Nobody remembers anything." There's a lot of that forgetting going around.

On Kirsan, despite Gwynn Dyer's prediction of a sea change in U.S. policy, which could lead to the dropping of sanctions against him, I have to admit that I don't see things the same way. Just this past week U.S. Sec of State John Kerry remarked that the U.S. still had "leverage" in Syria (i.e., they're still supporting the foreign-fighters, jihadists and just plain terrorists there) and that if Syria didn't agree to a "political transition" (that's code for 'Assad must go!') they would face many more years of war. So I don't have Dyer's confidence. But who knows? Stranger things have happened.

And it would be funny as hell to watch the haters scurry under their rocks were Kirsan the Amusing One to appear in NYC.

link here: Voice of America: US Still Has Leverage in Syria, Kerry Asserts

Originally posted by VOA
      Kerry said if Assad had reached the conclusion there was no “Plan B,” then he had come to a conclusion that was “totally without any foundation whatsoever.”

He said the greatest leverage was the fact that Assad and his backers would never be able to end the war in Syria if they declined to negotiate a political settlement.
      Many observers view those last remarks as a veiled threat.

Comment

Kirsan sacs a pawn for the initiative

Kirsan files a lawsuit against the US Treasury Department.

World Chess Federation (FIDE) President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov will file a lawsuit against the U.S. Treasury Department in response to sanctions imposed on him over accusations of cooperating with the Syrian leadership....

"I provided all information in response to all questions, including those concerning my movements from 2010 to 2015, and, on the basis of U.S. law, I was supposed to receive documents from the U.S. Treasury Department explaining on what basis these accusations had been made against me. These 90 days expired yesterday, on May 23, but I have not received any answers and explanations from the U.S. Treasury Department," he said.
        Get your popcorn. This could be entertaining.

Comment

Working...
        X