• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valuable research for Chess Talkers

I found this paper very interesting:

http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.pdf
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

related - agnotology as the cultural production of ignorance

Robert Proctor, a Stanford researcher, has also specialized in studying the cultural production of ignorance. He began by looking at the propaganda of the tobacco industry:

Proctor had found that the cigarette industry did not want consumers to know the harms of its product, and it spent billions obscuring the facts of the health effects of smoking. This search led him to create a word for the study of deliberate propagation of ignorance: agnotology.
    The practice of agnotology - the cultivation of ignorance - performs the "useful" task of silencing dissent. Every criticism, every expose of problems and injustice is countered by pseudo-scientific balderdash. The whole weight of the overwhelming majority opinion of the scientific community is countered by noisy and well-financed propaganda of spurious, but intelligent-sounding, nonsense.

Originally posted by NYT
    "Mr. Proctor, who describes his specialty as "agnotology, the study of ignorance," argues that the tobacco industry has tried to give the impression that the hazards of cigarette smoking are still an open question even when the scientific evidence is indisputable. "The tobacco industry is famous for having seen itself as a manufacturer of two different products," he said, "tobacco and doubt.""
    Says Lynn Schiebinger: " Ignorance is often not merely the absence of knowledge but an outcome of cultural and political struggle." Stupidity isn't just born. It is grown. (Imagine the voice of Laurence Fishburne from The Matrix here.)

The tobacco industry is perhaps the most famous example. There are plenty more.
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 7th June, 2016, 02:56 PM. Reason: imagine Laurence Fishburne
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: related - agnotology as the cultural production of ignorance

Awesome! Thanks for the share.

The Corporate B.S. Generator
      http://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

Comment

Re: related - agnotology as the cultural production of ignorance

My B. S. antennae are oscillating with a profound disconnectivity......???
        Fred Harvey

Comment

Re: Valuable research for Chess Talkers

Almost certainly the most interesting post I have seen on Chesstalk and the only one I will share with non-chess friends. Although I may be disappointed by my colleagues - most lawyers won't think anyone can teach them anything about bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Allan View Post
            Almost certainly the most interesting post I have seen on Chesstalk and the only one I will share with non-chess friends. Although I may be disappointed by my colleagues - most lawyers won't think anyone can teach them anything about bullshit.
            lol - my pleasure Denis! I remember watching your games back in the 60's and 70's ... I enjoyed that paper too! :)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Allan View Post
              I agree, I've saved it for study. It reminds me a bit of what we called "The Art of Obfuscation" when I worked at Nortel as it spiralled downwards. Thank you Kerry! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                I agree, I've saved it for study. It reminds me a bit of what we called "The Art of Obfuscation" when I worked at Nortel as it spiralled downwards. Thank you Kerry! ;)
                Almost invariably the workers are able to see the flaws (or most of them) in their 'superiors' administrative and policy decisions. Here's an oldie-but-goldie variation on the corporate BS theme:

The Plan

In the beginning was the plan.

And then came the assumptions.

And the assumptions were without form.

And the plan was without substance.

And darkness was upon the face of the workers.

And they spoke among themselves saying,

"The plan is a crock of shit and it stinketh."

And the workers went unto their supervisors and said,

"It is a pail of dung and none may abide the odor thereof."

And the supervisors went unto their managers and said,

"It is a container of excrement and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it."

And the managers went unto their directors, saying,

"It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide its strength."

And the directors spoke among themselves, saying to one another,

"It contains that which aids plant growth and it is very strong."

And the directors went unto the vice presidents, saying unto them,

"It promotes growth and is very powerful."

And the vice presidents went unto the president, saying unto him,

"The new plan will promote the growth and vigor of the company, with powerful effects."

And the president looked upon the plan and saw that it was good.

And the plan became policy.

This is how shit happens.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                X