X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korchnoi in Toronto, 1985

Korchnoi in Toronto, 1985

June 7, 2016

My friend Dale Brandreth would come up to Toronto from Delaware every year. He had done his post-doc in Chemical Engineering at U of T (1965) and he would visit old friends and, at least on one day of his vacation, we would get together and talk about chess books, collecting and publishing.

When he was here in 1985, he told me that Viktor Korchnoi was playing in a tournament over at Trinity College at U of T, so we walked over to Devonshire Place to see the tournament.

I have tried to look up details for that tournament and found them rather sparse. Fortunately, there was a write-up in the Toronto Star.

On Sunday July 28, 1985 on page A12 there is a photo with this caption:

Check or mate – Toronto Mayor Art Eggleton offers chess advice to legendary grandmaster Victor Korchnoi (right) during a match against Montreal’s Kevin Spraggett, the highest-ranked Canadian ever in international competition. The financially troubled Toronto International Chess Championship, which opened yesterday at U of T’s Trinity College, has attracted 350 competitors.

I give the main article as a piece of nostalgia:

Costs dampen Metro’s chess future

By Walter Stefaniuk

One of the most intense games at the Toronto International Chess Championship – finding financing for future tournaments – is being played off the boards.

The outcome could decide the future of world-class chess in metro and perhaps Canada.

“We can’t afford to do anything like this again,” said chess promoter David Lavin, organizer of the week-long tournament sanctioned by the international chess federation, FIDE.

“We are trying to enlist corporations.” Without that, “this is the last international tournament,” Lavin told The Star yesterday after the matches opened at the University of Toronto’s Trinity College.

World Players – In a move to boost prestige and attract sponsorship, organizers brought in legendary grandmaster Viktor Korchnoi the Soviet defector now living in Switzerland and three times a challenger for the world chess championship.

But grandmasters cost money, and the tournament’s financial problems are coming at a time when Canada is beginning to step on to the world board in a major way.

Kevin Spraggett, 30, of Montreal, the highest-ranked Canadian ever internationally will be designated a grandmaster – chess’s official equivalent of a baseball or football superstar – at the international federation’s congress in Austria next month.

And Canadian champion Igor Ivanov, a Soviet émigré, has become the most successful player in North America. An international master, one rank below grandmaster he is the only player representing Canada to defeat a reigning world champion, defeating Anatoly Karpov in 1970.

“For the first time, a Canadian (Spraggett) has qualified as a world championship candidate, but to give him an equal chance, we have to have people like Korchnoi to play him,” Lavin said.

High costs – “The cost of bringing international superstars to play the best of Canadians is beyond the reach of chess enthusiasts without corporate help,” Lavin said.

“We can’t afford to bring in more than one star,” he said.

He doubts that private groups would step into the void. “No one else is foolish enough,” he said.

An official international title tournament, with the three required grandmasters entered, would cost about $50,000, Lavin estimated.

This year’s week-long tournament – which includes only two grandmasters, Korchnoi and grandmaster-designate Spraggett – cost $11,500 in prize money and $20,000 in other expenses.

Three grandmasters must be entered before a competition can qualify as a title tournament in the official series leading to a shot at the world championship. A Yugoslav grandmaster, who would have completed the necessary title troika, cancelled out at the last moment.

Three of the top 10 U.S. players – John Fedorowicz, Maxim Dlugy and Joel Benjamin, all of New York City – are entered as well as top Canadians.

But although the three young Americans have defeated many of the world’s grandmasters (They’re ranked second, third and fourth after Korchnoi in the Toronto event), top ranking has eluded them because of the scarcity of international-calibre tournaments in North America.

“There’s not the chess education or chess awareness (in North American) like Europe has,” Spraggett said. In Europe, chess is “a tradition going back thousands of years.”

“The grandmaster designation," said Spraggett who gave up an engineering career for chess, means “more invitations in Europe and it’ll make it a little bit easier for me to make a living.”

Internationally sanctioned tournaments keep dreams alive for players further down the scale such as Andrei Moffat, 19 of Packard Blvd, Scarborough, Paul Burgess, 16, of Ottawa, and Charles Adelman, 20, of Hillsdale, N.J. – three of the 350 players entered here.

(to be concluded)

Re: Korchnoi in Toronto, 1985

(concluded)

June 7, 2016

Canadian ties for first in chess championship

By Paula Todd, Toronto Star, p. A5, August 5, 1985

Move over Russia – Canada proved yesterday that it’s ready and able to beat the best in international chess.
    Canadian chess champion Igor Ivanov tied for first place with grandmaster Viktor Korchnoi at the end of the week-long Toronto International Chess Championship at the University of Toronto’s Trinity College.

“Canada has reached new heights in international chess with a Canadian matching one of the strongest players in the world for the past 30 years. It says that our top players can play against anybody anywhere,” tournament organizer David Lavin said yesterday.

Even Korchnoi the 54-year-old Soviet defector now living in Switzerland and three times a challenger for the world chess championship, was predicting a rosy future for Canadians.

“He (Ivanov) is a very talented player. And I see Canada is growing up well in the chess world, “ said Korchnoi, who made his first trip to Canada to attend the tournament and was the favorite to win.

Ivanov, who was born in Leningrad, the same city as Korchnoi, defected five years ago while playing in a chess tournament in Newfoundland. An international master one rank below a grandmaster, he is the only Canadian ever to defeat a reigning world champion – Anatoly Karpov in 1970.

Now living in Montreal, Ivanov, 38, is the current Canadian champion and has won the U.S. Grand Prix three years in a row. He is considered the most successful tournament player in North American and won last year’s Toronto International with a score of 8 out of 10.
    “Both players won five games and tied four in the second annual tournament, the fourth most prestigious chess competition in North America this year,” Lavin said. They shared first- and second-place pots totaling $2,500.

But despite the chess celebrities who turned out in full force this week, Canadian chess is strapped for money.

This year’s tournament cost about $31,500 and Lavin said he needs corporate and government sponsorship to continue the world-class status.

“All we need is a little help – even just a free place to play,” he said.
    ________

Chess in Toronto 31 years ago!

Igor Ivanov passed away in November, 2005 and Viktor Korchnoi, in June, 2016.

Dale has published 16 chess books and 2 chemistry books since 1985.

I have only been able to find Korchnoi’s draw with Maxim Dlugy online. I don’t know if any of the other games are available.

Does any ChessTalk reader remember having played in the tournament?

Comment

The tournament report by D.Lavin was in En Passant 1985 December issue (#76). The picture of Korchnoi was on cover of the October issue.
      "Unfortunatly, we do not have any games or notes on the intermediate (6-8) rounds of the tournament yet."

Korchnoi-Dlugy (or D-K) was in R8.

M.Dlugy: "Korchnoi is a great player, one of the greatest ever, and everybody would take their games much more seriously when he was on the stage. Rarely would anyone get up and walk about."

Comment

Here are the Korchnoi games I have from the event - including the controversial Hébert game. Whether he got the correct paring or not led to appeals which upheld the pairing. I scored 5-4.

[Event "Toronto int."]
        [Site "Toronto CAN"]
        [Date "1985.07.28"]
        [Round "2"]
        [White "Amos, Bruce"]
        [Black "Korchnoi, Viktor"]
        [Result "1/2-1/2"]
        [ECO "D91"]
        [WhiteElo "2397"]
        [BlackElo "2630"]
        [PlyCount "127"]
        [EventDate "1985.07.27"]
        [EventType "swiss"]
        [EventRounds "9"]
        [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. Bg5 Ne4 6. cxd5 Nxg5 7. Nxg5 e6 8.
        Nf3 exd5 9. e3 a5 10. Be2 O-O 11. O-O Nc6 12. Rc1 Ne7 13. a3 Nf5 14. Bd3 Be6
        15. Bxf5 gxf5 16. Ne2 c6 17. Qd2 Kh8 18. Rc2 Bh6 19. Ne5 Qd6 20. Nd3 Rfe8 21.
        Nef4 a4 22. Rfc1 Re7 23. Qd1 Bd7 24. Rc3 Be8 25. Qh5 Qf6 26. Qf3 Qg5 27. Rc5
        Qg4 28. Qxg4 fxg4 29. h3 g3 30. R5c3 gxf2+ 31. Kxf2 f6 32. g3 Bd7 33. Kf3 Bf5
        34. Nf2 Kg8 35. Nh5 Kf7 36. Nf4 Bg5 37. Re1 Ra5 38. Rc5 Rxc5 39. dxc5 Be4+ 40.
        Nxe4 Rxe4 41. Rc1 f5 42. b3 Bxf4 43. gxf4 Ke6 44. Rb1 d4 45. exd4 Rxd4 46. Re1+
        Re4 47. Rb1 Kd5 48. bxa4 Rxa4 49. Rxb7 Rxa3+ 50. Kg2 Rc3 51. Rxh7 Ke4 52. h4
        Kxf4 53. h5 Kg5 54. h6 Rxc5 55. Rh8 Kg6 56. Kf3 Rc3+ 57. Kf2 Rd3 58. Ke2 Rd7
        59. Kf3 Re7 60. Kf4 Re4+ 61. Kf3 Re6 62. Kf4 Rf6 63. Rg8+ Kxh6 64. Rg5 1/2-1/2

[Event "Toronto int."]
        [Site "Toronto CAN"]
        [Date "1985.08.03"]
        [Round "8"]
        [White "Dlugy, Maxim"]
        [Result "1/2-1/2"]
        [ECO "E17"]
        [WhiteElo "2596"]
        [BlackElo "2630"]
        [PlyCount "31"]
        [EventDate "1985.07.27"]
        [EventType "swiss"]
        [EventRounds "9"]
        [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 b6 4. Bg2 Bb7 5. d4 Be7 6. Nc3 Ne4 7. Bd2 O-O 8. d5
        f5 9. Qc2 Nd6 10. b3 Bf6 11. Rd1 Na6 12. O-O Nb4 13. Qb1 exd5 14. Nb5 a5 15.
        Nxd6 cxd6 16. a3 1/2-1/2

[Event "Toronto int."]
        [Site "Toronto CAN"]
        [Date "1985.08.04"]
        [Round "9"]
        [White "Hebert, Jean"]
        [Result "0-1"]
        [ECO "A17"]
        [WhiteElo "2429"]
        [BlackElo "2630"]
        [PlyCount "76"]
        [EventDate "1985.07.27"]
        [EventType "swiss"]
        [EventRounds "9"]
        [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Qc2 O-O 5. a3 Bxc3 6. Qxc3 b6 7. b4 Bb7 8.
        Bb2 a5 9. e3 Qe7 10. d3 axb4 11. axb4 Na6 12. b5 Nc5 13. Ba3 Ra4 14. Bxc5 Rxa1+
        15. Qxa1 Qxc5 16. Qb2 Ra8 17. Be2 Qa3 18. Qxa3 Rxa3 19. O-O Bxf3 20. gxf3 Ra2
        21. Re1 e5 22. Kf1 Kf8 23. Rd1 Ke7 24. d4 exd4 25. Rxd4 Ra1+ 26. Kg2 Re1 27.
        Bd1 Ne8 28. Bc2 Nd6 29. f4 Rc1 30. Bd3 f5 31. e4 fxe4 32. Bxe4 Rxc4 33. Rxc4
        Nxc4 34. Bxh7 Na3 35. Bd3 c5 36. bxc6 dxc6 37. Kf3 b5 38. Ke3 b4 0-1

Comment

June 7, 2016

Since reading about David Lavin running the 1985 tournament, I wondered what he had gone on to.

The answer is running a lecture agency:

Nobody grows up thinking, "I can hardly wait to be a lecture agent," and I was no different. I didn't know what I wanted to be, and I didn't know what a speaking agent was. I spent my youth traveling around the world. I was Canada's youngest chess master. I took my college grant money and went to California. I lived in Paris, San Francisco, Vancouver, London and Berlin. Even Ibiza. I talked to a lot of people, learned a lot of things, and I read thousands of books.

Then what?

I came back to Toronto, and settled down. I started thinking about what I was going to do with my life. Then I started thinking, “What am I going to do tonight? "Do I want to go to The Horseshoe [a local club] and see a band? Not really. Is there a movie I want to see? There wasn't. I didn't own a TV. I refused to own a TV set until I was 30. So, I looked at my bookshelf and thought, "I want to go see Hunter S. Thompson give a speech." But he wasn't giving a speech. So I decided to make it happen. Somehow, I contacted Hunter S. Thompson to come to Toronto. He was here for a week, and a few hours before he was scheduled to go on, he left town. We were completely sold out. 1,200 seats! I was standing in front of the theatre, telling people it was sold out, that he was not here, but people were still trying to buy tickets. They wanted a souvenir!

Later, I managed to track Hunter down, and he came back three weeks later and did two shows. It was also the worst storm of the year, so he was an hour and a half late. As soon as he stepped onto the stage I collapsed in sheer joy. I was just so glad he was actually there. I swore I would never do something like that again. There was a journalist covering it, who came up to me and said, "You have no idea what you've pulled off. I've never seen anyone deal with pressure the way you have." I had no idea at the time that it was going to turn into a 20-year career. It's turned out okay, though.

http://www.thelavinagency.com/faq

And the chess?

A couple of years ago he had a party to give away some of his books:

I arrived at Lavin’s house at the same time as many people from the Lavin Agency’s Toronto office; we were there for a party, and to take home some books. Over oysters and white wine, Lavin was telling us all about his library, and inviting us to grab as many books as we could. He’d piled up a couple hundred right by the front door, free for the taking. Later this year, Lavin will be moving into publishing, with an ebook series of long essays from the agency’s speakers. In the meantime, he’s downsizing his physical library, making space for better reading, and putting some of his favourite books in the hands of people who will read them.

And is he giving away his chess books?

I’m keeping my chess books for a couple reasons. One is that I’ve read them, and I like them. If you want to spend fifteen minutes with Bobby Fischer, you can. Or fifteen minutes with Alexander Alekhine, fine. You can just dip in, rekindle something. That was a big part of my life—when I was a teenager, chess saved my life. I was fourteen years old when I learned to play chess, [and] when I was 18, 19, I was the youngest chess master in Canada. I played in the World Youth Team Championship twice for Canada.

http://hazlitt.net/blog/david-lavins...ishing-library
          ________

Maybe he will try his hand at running another international chess tournament some day!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
            Costs dampen Metro’s chess future By Walter Stefaniuk

World Players – In a move to boost prestige and attract sponsorship, organizers brought in legendary grandmaster Viktor Korchnoi the Soviet defector now living in Switzerland and three times a challenger for the world chess championship.
            The math is bad. He played two times against Karpov for the title (1978 & 1981), and several times to become a challenger (Curacao candidates tournament, candidates matches vs Spassky 1968, vs Karpov 1974).
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 9th June, 2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Some inaccuracies, to be sure.

GM Korchnoi was also a Candidate in the 1967-69 series (defeating GM Reshevsky and GM Tal, losing to GM Spassky). In the 1970-72 series, he lost to former World Champion GM Petrosian, whom he defeated in the next cycle. The 'three times a challenger' part is somewhat misleading, but this error is easy to understand, since World Champion GM Fischer didn't defend in 1975, so the first Korchnoi vs GM Karpov match in 1974, formally the Candidates' final, wound up as the 'de facto' title match. Korchnoi lost to GM Kasparov in round two in 1983. He also played in the Montpellier Candidates tournament 1985, where GM Kevin Spraggett became the first Canadian to reach Candidate status. Then, Korchnoi was a Candidate at Saint John 1988, and in the next cycle as well. I believe that makes him nine times a Candidate.

Korchnoi also played in the Quebec Open one year, winning that title, I believe.

There is excellent coverage on chessbase.com. No doubt about it, he was one of the greatest players of all time. I believe some historians consider him the sixth strongest player of all time.

I'll be interested to read GM Spraggett's tribute to Viktor! Rest in Peace, Viktor! :)

Comment

Sorry, should be TEN times a Candidate! :) [1962, 1968, 1971, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1985, 1988, and 1991]

Comment

Frank wrote:

He also played in the Montpellier Candidates tournament 1985, where GM Kevin Spraggett became the first Canadian to reach Candidate status.
                  Actually - Kevin finished last in the 1985 Candidates. For Saint John 1988: "Sokolov, Timman, Vaganian,and Yusupov were seeded from the 1985 Candidates matches. Spraggett was chosen by the organizing federation. The other players were seeded from the Interzonals." That's where the politics involving the May 1987 Spraggett-Ivanov match (tied 3-3) took place. This was to determine the winner of the 1986 Canadian Championship (in which Igor beat Kevin in their individual game).

Comment

Yes, Hugh, you are definitely right with what you wrote on Kevin's seeding into the 1988 Candidates, and all the controversy that generated, over whether it should have been him or IM Igor Ivanov, as representative for the host nation, Canada, which was a special dispensation in that instance for the Candidates level. No other nation hosting the Candidates tournament has ever received that privilege, to my knowledge. I think we swung it through the enormous financial outlay Canada was committing to that event, combined as it was with the other elements in the vastly successful World Chess Festival.

But Kevin did actually QUALIFY into the 1985 Candidates tournament through legitimate, required, high performance at the 1985 Taxco Interzonal. In so doing, he became the FIRST Canadian to qualify to that level (under the FIDE system), which is what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                    X