Weaver Warren Adams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaver Warren Adams

Chessgames.com today features a 1947 U.S. Open win with White by Weaver Warren Adams entitled 'White to Play and Win', the title of a 1939 book Adams penned in which he posited that the Vienna Game was a forced win for White. Adams didn't help book sales when he went +0, -3, =1 with White at the 1940 U.S. Open and +4, -0, =0 with Black. (:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1228743
    Last edited by Jack Maguire; Wednesday, 8th June, 2016, 08:25 AM.

Re: Weaver Warren Adams

Weaver W. Adams

June 8, 2016

When I had just started chess, a friend’s neighbor gave me several past years of Chess Review, which I devoured. Later, I subscribed to CR and to Chess Life, when it graduated from a newsletter to a magazine in 1961.

Especially interesting were the little ads at the bottom of the pages. They were often for books you couldn’t get in the stores. To a kid’s way of thinking, they were special – from a foreign land perhaps (England or Yugoslavia, for example) or by some unconventional genius, who was misunderstood by the world, or something bizarre (like hexagonal chess).

In Chess Life of April 1961 there was this ad:

SIMPLE CHESS
    1958 Edition
    with Additions and Corrections
    Send $1.00 to
    Weaver W. Adams
    247 N. Grove St
    E. Orange, New Jersey

In those days, if the book wasn’t in the local public library, you never got to read it. But here was a book from an exotic place named after a fruit, and you could order it by mail.

I was familiar with the work by an earlier advert. This from one of my Chess Reviews of 1949:

SIMPLE CHESS
    (New 1949 Edition)
    The Game of Chess Solved!!!
    11 pages of closely typed analysis showing more than one hundred winning variations for White against all standard defenses by Black to 1 P-K4. Also winning lines for Black against inaccurate opening play by White and a three-page summary of the Adams System.
    Price $1.00

Do not expect your friend who owns a copy of this analysis to tell you about it. He won’t, but he’ll play it against you!
    _________

I got a Canadian Postal Money Order for $1 and sent it to Weaver Adams and got the booklet in the mail. Unfortunately, my young friends usually deviated from the recommended lines after a few moves, so I cannot report that the work helped me very much.
    ________

A potted biography:

Weaver Warren Adams was born in Dedham, Massachusetts on April 28, 1901. He started playing chess around 1913 at the age of 12, taught by an older brother of a friend next door.

From 1919 through 1923, Weaver Adams attended Massachusetts Institute of Technology to be an engineer, but later dropped out to play chess.

He inherited a chicken farm and raised chickens (source: Chess Life, May 1954, p. 132). He was a beer salesman for a Massachusetts brewery.

In 1936, Adams played in the first U.S. Championship tournament (not match), due to the retirement of U.S. champion Frank Marshall (1877-1944). The tournament was won by Samuel Reshevsky. Adams tied for last place (15th-16th place) with Harold Morton.

In 1939, Weaver Adams wrote White to Play and Win, published by McKay. In his book, he advocated 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4, the Bishop’s Opening. He later gave up on the Bishop’s Opening and advocated 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3, the Vienna Opening.

In August 1940, he played in the U.S. Open Chess Championship, held in Dallas. Even though he advocated that White should win in his book, in the finals, he did not win a single game as White (3 losses and 1 draw), but won all 4 of his games as Black.

In 1946, he wrote Simple Chess and How to Play Chess. He advertised that the game of chess was solved and tried to show over a hundred winning variations for White against all standard Black defenses.

In July 1948, Weaver Adams won the 49th U.S. Open Chess Championship, held in Baltimore, Maryland. He received $500 for 1st prize. There were 74 players in the event. He then appeared on the August 1948 issue of Chess Review magazine, which dubbed him the “apostle of aggression.”

In 1950, the United States Chess Federation published their first rating list. Weaver Adams was rated 2383.

In 1950-51, he took 9th place at the 26th Hastings Chess Congress. The event was won by Wolfgang Unzicker. Adams won two, drew one, and lost six games.

Weaver Adams died on January 6, 1963 in Cedar Grove, New Jersey, age 61.

Adams authored:

White to Play and Win (1939)
    Simple Chess (1946)
    How to Play Chess (1959)
    Absolute Chess (1959)

The above taken from:

http://www.chessmaniac.com/weaver-adams/

Comment

Working...
    X