Hamilton Summer Open 2016 - August 27-28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hamilton Summer Open 2016 - August 27-28

'Top Guns' is just another name for the OPEN section. The fact that it's merely a name change doesn't decide whether it's an open tournament or not. If any players can join the tournament regardless of which section, then it is an open tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Gauthier View Post
      Sadly this is not a true open tournament.

Hi,

Does it really matter that much how it's labelled?
      The tournament is OPEN to anyone who wants to join. The sections are NOT.
      In a 9+ Round tournament, having one big happy open swiss section is not so bad. It's interesting, and players will likely have a third of the games played against comparable opposition.
      In a tournament with less rounds than that (any weekend tournament), having one big open section is not such a great idea, unless it's forced due to a terrible turn-out.

It's comments like those, from people who love knit-picking on the wording, that makes organizers change the name of the highest section from "Open" to "Top Guns" or "Crown".

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
        It's comments like those, from people who love knit-picking on the wording, that makes organizers change the name of the highest section from "Open" to "Top Guns" or "Crown".
        Alex F.
        I am considering changing all my future tournaments from "Open" to "Invitational".
        Of course, intending to invite almost everyone, but the flyer would read

"if you would like an invitation, send an email to"
        instead of
        "to preregister, send an email to"

Then you publish a list of invited players, not preregistered players. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          I am considering changing all my future tournaments from "Open" to "Invitational".

instead of

I'm sure the nitpickers would find some new complaint, like you are de-valuing 'true' invitational tournaments LOL
          University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Sorry Bob the the William F. Darch Memorial Touraments went 10 years as an Invitational long before you thought about it. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

instead of

Could we be witnesses to the birth of a new Canadian chess term?: 'The Gauthier' - as in 'The Hamilton Summer Gauthier' - to reflect a tournament that has open and closed characteristics!!
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                Could we be witnesses to the birth of a new Canadian chess term?: 'The Gauthier' - as in 'The Hamilton Summer Gauthier' - to reflect a tournament that has open and closed characteristics!!
                In a true open, there's always an open section.

Comment

[QUOTE=Denis Gauthier;106811]In a true open, there's always an open section.[/QUOTE/]

OPEN is a simple word but misinterpreted. For me, OPEN Section means that anyone can play regardless of rating without paying that Canadian term "play up fee of $$$".

Comment

Working...
                  X