Who knew? The case of the fallen piece.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knew? The case of the fallen piece.

An interesting piece on an esoteric rule in blitz chess. Apparently, if your piece falls down after you press the clock, you lose. Tell it to Kramnik!
    See http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-cas...-falling-queen

Re: Who knew? The case of the fallen piece.

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    An interesting piece on an esoteric rule in blitz chess. Apparently, if your piece falls down after you press the clock, you lose. Tell it to Kramnik!
    Actually, that rule does not exist. At least not in the FIDE Laws. This ruling is seen moreover in the A.S.E.A.N. region, and it seems was initiated at one event a few years ago, where they officially implemented a "house rule" for that event, to apply Article A.4.b to what they call "dropped pieces" in that part of the world. However, it SHOULD be Article 7.4 that is applied to such situations. I am currently writing an article about this for the next FIDE Arbiters' Magazine. Note this event might have had a "special" rule!

A.4.b
    An illegal move is completed once the player has pressed his clock. If the arbiter observes this he shall declare the game lost by the player, provided the opponent has not made his next move. If the arbiter does not intervene, the opponent is entitled to claim a win, provided the opponent has not made his next move. However, the game is drawn if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves. If the opponent does not claim and the arbiter does not intervene, the illegal move shall stand and the game shall continue. Once the opponent has made his next move, an illegal move cannot be corrected unless this is agreed by the players without intervention of the arbiter.

If a player displaces one or more pieces, he shall re-establish the correct position in his own time. If necessary, either the player or his opponent shall stop the chessclock and ask for the arbiter’s assistance. The arbiter may penalise the player who displaced the pieces.

Comment

This tournament does have a special rule. The question for the arbiter magazine is : "is such a rule permitted". When the Laws of Chess leaves the penalty to the discretion of the arbiter, as in 7.4, it is permitted to restrict the arbiter's choice in the rules of the competition? Can a national Federation restricts his arbiters discretion in this way with his own rules?

I am sure that you have noticed that in the actual preface, the FIDE member Federations has lost the right to introduce more detailed rules. In the previous rules we had

A member federation is free to introduce more detailed rules provided they:

a. do not conflict in any way with the official FIDE Laws of Chess, and
      b. are limited to the territory of the federation concerned, and
      c. are not valid for any FIDE match, championship or qualifying event, or for a FIDE title or rating tournament

It has been replaced by It is recommended that competitive games not rated by FIDE be played according to the FIDE Laws of Chess.

The interesting question is far more general then this case. Can arbiter discretion be limited by the rules of a competition, of a FIDE member Federation, of a CFC Provincial association, of a League? If arbiter's discretion can be limited, who can limit it?

Comment

In the latest NB Blitz championship, if a player knocked over a piece or pieces and did not replace them before hitting the clock, their opponent could claim a win.

Comment

Ken, this reminds of one of my all time favorite chess players ... Jack Loo (Sp?)

RACC player that played mostly on Sundays.

When in time trouble he would, on his move, knock over a good portion of pieces on the board. Reset them, usually incorrectly, hit his clock, I would politely point out that the pieces were incorrectly placed and he would say to me ... "Doesn't matter. Winning in all variations."

I just loved this guy.
          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 21st June, 2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
            Only in blitz? Hmm... I might use this against you Gordon to avoid blowing an ending in time pressure :)

Comment

So much talk on the falling piece.
              Let me tell you my experience.
              For sometime, i was running blitz tournaments in the Atrium in downtown Toronto. One of the players is the American Eddie Marks. In the time scramble, his opponent did not drop pieces. Instead, he dropped the clock on the floor. What is the rulling that a TD should make in this case, in accordance to the FIDE book?
              Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                So much talk on the falling piece.
                Let me tell you my experience.
                For sometime, i was running blitz tournaments in the Atrium in downtown Toronto. One of the players is the American Eddie Marks. In the time scramble, his opponent did not drop pieces. Instead, he dropped the clock on the floor. What is the rulling that a TD should make in this case, in accordance to the FIDE book?
                Thank you for your reply.
                Originally posted by FIDE Laws of Chess

Article 6.2

c. The players must handle the chessclock properly. It is forbidden to press it forcibly, to pick it up, to press the clock before moving or to knock it over. Improper clock handling shall be penalised in accordance with Article 12.9.
                The arbiter will impose one the penalties listed at Article 12.9

Options available to the arbiter concerning penalties:

warning
                increasing the remaining time of the opponent
                reducing the remaining time of the offending player
                increasing the points scored in the game by the opponent to the maximum available for that game
                reducing the points scored in the game by the offending person
                declaring the game to be lost by the offending player (the arbiter shall also decide the opponent’s score)
                a fine announced in advance
                expulsion from the competition.

Its normal that the penalty is left to the discretion of the arbiter. Accidentally knocking the clock while pressing it is an action, deliberately throwing the clock to the ground when the opponent has 2 seconds remaining and claiming a win is s different story.

Comment

Hello Pierce, thank you for your very enlightening response. Have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                  X