Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative (CLCC) CFC Member Stats Calculations

Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative (CLCC) CFC Member Stats Calculations

(Provides services as a chess consultant; much thanks to CFC & Bob Gillanders, CFC ED, for provision of the raw data)

Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) Full Membership (Excluding Life & Honourary) Rating Breakdown

Membership as of May 1, 2016.

822 Adult Members (Not counting “unrateds”)
    646 Junior Members (Including Family & not counting “unrateds”)

1,468 Total Rated Membership (Subject to exclusions above)

Rating Distribution

2200and over - 82 (57 Adult; 25 Junior)
    2000-2199 – 138 (115 Adult ; 23 Junior)
    1800-1999 - 187 (140 Adult; 47 Junior)
    1600-1799 - 229 (165 Adult; 64 Junior)
    1400-1599 - 227 (150 Adult; 77 Junior)
    1200-1399 - 171 (89 Adult; 82 Junior)
    1000-1199 - 155 (60 Adult; 95 Junior)
    under 1000 - 279 (46 Adult; 233 Junior)

Total – 1,468

Patzer Calculation

No of Members B Class & Under (1799 & Under) – 1061
    % Membership B Class & Under (Using 1,468) – 72%

CLCC Questions

Facts – Elite Membership – 1800 & Over – 28%; Patzer Membership – 72%

1. Does CFC apportion its time, effort and resources according to this breakdown?
    2. If not, and more than 28% of CFC’s time, effort and resources are spent serving the elite, is this justified given the general mission of CFC?
    3. If the general CFC mission supports CFC disproportionately serving the "elite", does the membership agree with the current CFC “Mission”?

Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative (CLCC)
    Bob Armstrong, Coordinator

Re: Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative (CLCC) CFC Member Stats Calculations

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    1. Does CFC apportion its time, effort and resources according to this breakdown?
    2. If not, and more than 28% of CFC’s time, effort and resources are spent serving the elite, is this justified given the general mission of CFC?
    3. If the general CFC mission supports CFC disproportionately serving the "elite", does the membership agree with the current CFC “Mission”?

Consulting
    Bob, if you're really in a consulting business you should not rise questions but answer them.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Bob, if you're really in a consulting business you should not rise questions but answer them.
      Hi Egis:

As many know, I often follow the road less traveled (sometimes for better; sometimes for worse).....so ..... so does our company!

Of course we will give our opinion on all this once members have had their say, and fully discussed it. If CLCC can help facilitate this discussion here, we would be pleased to try to help in that way as well.

Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative (CLCC)
      Bob Armstrong, Coordinator

Comment

Hey Bob, as general overview that's beautiful work and thanks for all contributors. Falls quite short of telling the whole story, and isn't on center target, but solid effort nonetheless, thx!

I'm inspired to create some info graphics & data vis (I own a graphic design firm), would love to a have ton more data to mine. Tell the whole story!

For instance:

Where are all those ratings located in Canada, not a bulk number (althought that's still valuable), but where is each rating located. Don't need names just need what is the rating and where is the rating located. Such as; 2305...Ottawa, 2301...Ottawa. And then ramp that up and deliver rating groups; where are the 2200+ ratings located in Canada would be of some benefit.

Breakdown regions by ratings. Ottawa region has this many 2200+, 2000-2199, etc..

Cross region travel, where are those ratings traveling and why; Montreal to Ottawa as an example, that sort of goodness. It would even be interesting to see how much prize money is pulled out of a region! Where do the 2200+ travel?

Data mining junior numbers is just as critical!

Where do they travel?
        How much money is spent?
        What's the result?
        Do they hire a chess coach?
        Rating performance before & after lessons?

To quote Yul Brenner ... etc., etc., etc..

Unfortunately all of that knowledge won't help. To move the CFC into mainstream Canada will come from understanding and developing our place within Canadian culture!

And speaking of graphics ... I just landed the LP cover art for a well known rapper!
        Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 28th June, 2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Neil, it sounds like you're being critical of Bob because he didn't attempt to tell the 'whole story'. That clearly wasn't Bob's intention - he was simply asking for feedback on the general question of how the CFC should allocate its resources with respect to playing strength.

The CFC's basic service is the rating - is it fair to say this? The CFC doesn't have the human or financial resources to be effective in living up to its mission statement of widely promoting chess in Canada (my opinion, of course). If you eliminate self-funded programs, like CYCC/WYCC, and if it is fair to say that the CFC's basic service is the rating, then, speaking as a patzer, I don't mind if the CFC disproportionately favours the elite crew with what little discretionary funding it has.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Bob, I'm not quite sure where you're trying to go with this. In general chess is arranged as a meritocracy. Thus you have a broad base of patzers and few "elite". It's like most sports that way.

There was recent controversy regarding the selection of the Olympiad team. Apparently they used a "rating list" (horrors!) which tended to favour the elite.

If you're suggesting that's unfair and just serving the elite then, umm, Meesa thinking much you crackum too smoking, betcha, betcha!

Steve

(You started this with Yoda.)

P.S. I hereby volunteer for the Canadian Mediocrity team for the next Olympiad.

P.P.S. IIRC the biggest complaint voiced about the CFC (whatever exactly "the CFC" is) is that they are now too much focused on junior (i.e. patzer) chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
              Such as; 2305...Ottawa, 2301...Ottawa. And then ramp that up and deliver rating groups; where are the 2200+ ratings located in Canada would be of some benefit.
              Breakdown regions by ratings. Ottawa region has this many 2200+, 2000-2199, etc..
              The CFC list has towns/cities but it is not great geographically. Current Toronto is presented with many subdivisions North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, Willowdale. Maybe some larger cities have same issues.

Geographical distribution of O2200 (take with a salt and pepper LOL

Toronto 39
              Ottawa 18
              Edmonton 14
              Calgary 12
              Vancouver 11
              Montreal 7
              Thornhill 7
              Kitchener 5
              North York 5
              Surrey 5
              Burnaby 4
              Markham 4
              Richmond Hill 4
              Winnipeg 4
              Etobicoke 3
              Hamilton 3
              Mississauga 3
              Victoria 3
              Windsor 3
              Burlington 2
              Fredericton 2
              Saskatoon 2
              Banff 1
              Brantford 1
              Caledonia 1
              Cambridge 1
              Chateauguay 1
              Chilliwack 1
              Don Mills 1
              Gatineau 1
              Gloucester 1
              Guelph 1
              Halifax 1
              Islington 1
              La Prairie 1
              Leduc 1
              Lively 1
              Lloydminster 1
              London 1
              Longueuil 1
              Maxville 1
              Milton 1
              Moncton 1
              Nanaimo 1
              Nepean 1
              Niagara Falls 1
              Oakville 1
              Outremont 1
              Pickering 1
              Prince Rupert 1
              Rexdale 1
              Richmond 1
              Saint John 1
              Sidney 1
              Vaughan 1
              Verdun 1
              Waterdown 1
              Waterloo 1

Comment

OMG, what have I done?
                Sorry folks. It just proves that good deeds never go unpunished. :(

Comment

Sorry Bob, I won't let you claim that.

My bad!

Sorry my comment was misinterpreted ...sorry it came off as a critique!!

As I mentioned ... beautiful effort! Good to see!

Comment

Thanks Egidijus!

Total from that list:

198 rated 2200+ ... or there abouts?

From Bob's work:

2200 and over - 82 (57 Adult; 25 Junior) excluding Life & Honourary

???
                    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 28th June, 2016, 04:16 PM.

Comment

198 rated 2200+ ... or there abouts?

From Bob's work:

2200 and over - 82 (57 Adult; 25 Junior) excluding Life & Honourary

???
                      My list is with Life and those who have a membership expiring date >= 2015 (and still don't use that for anything beyond this forum LOL

Comment

Chess Federation of Canada inflates its numbers?

Nah, tell me that isn't so!

LOL!

Comment

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but this thread strikes me as just hilarious. :D
                          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                            Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but this thread strikes me as just hilarious. :D
                            Most threads on Chess Talk turn into a laughing matter - some sooner than others... I'm just saying.
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Chess Federation of Canada inflates its numbers?

Nah, tell me that isn't so!
                              How did you make this conclusion? :) My numbers are not CFC ;) Though they are generated using a list from the CFC.

Comment

Working...
                              X