X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeachment?

Impeachment?

July 1, 2016

Everyone seems to be talking about this piece in chess-news.ru, which I give unedited. I would like a better translation, which will undoubtedly come tomorrow.

http://chess-news.ru/node/21722

Impeachment facing Ilyumzhinov?

Friday, 07/01/2016

The General Assembly of FIDE will have a surprise in Baku

As Chess-News has learned, at the next General Assembly of FIDE in Baku, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov can expect impeachment. To do this, you must collect 50 percent plus one vote of the delegates.

Recall that in December last year Ilyumzhinov " temporarily handed over legal, financial and business powers relating to the activities of FIDE” to Georgios Makropoulos. This happened due to the sanctions that were imposed on it by the United States of America. Since then, however, there was not a single case when Makropoulos represented FIDE in the position of acting president, and the Ilyumzhinov said repeatedly that he continues to be the head of the International Federation.

According to our information, the sanctions have dealt a serious blow to the financial activities of FIDE, since this activity is directly dependent on one person - Kirsan Ilyumzhinov. Since the outcome of litigation of Ilyumzhinov with the Ministry of Finance of the USA is far from obvious, people from the FIDE President environment hastily seeking ways out of the current crisis situation and sources of funding.

Impeachment, if it happens, it's unlikely to be limited: there, in Baku, during the Olympics the new president will be elected in September. According to the FIDE Statutes, the election procedure for the position is held every four years, which means that the next elections should be held in 2018. To hold elections now requires a change in the Constitution, which requires the consent of two thirds of the Congress delegates. Are there a sufficient number of supporters of a change in the Charter?

"Macro and friends preparing tp impeach Ilyumzhinov will be a great show during the Olympic Games. Guess which way my vote will go..?" - tweeted the former head of the European Chess Union, Silvio Danailov.

If, however, the Charter is to be changed, then the question arises: who will nominate the new president (read - sponsor)? According to our information, negotiations are underway with several candidates. Among them are two of the current FIDE official hierarchy: head of chess in Asia, Sheikh Sultan bin Khalifa Al Nai Han and the head of the Russian Chess Federation Andrey Filatov. However, there may be other surprises.

We asked Kirsan Ilyumzhinov for a comment, but at the time of publication of this piece, there has been no reply.

Re: Impeachment?

Interesting post Wayne - thank you!

The article has some inaccuracies but the picture painted is close enough. (Makro has definitely represented FIDE as acting President, for example, although not as forcefully as I would have liked.) And I would be surprised if impeachment occurs.

As of late March, I was told the Sheikh had not taken the necessary steps in house to seek the post. Filatov has denied that he is interested, time and again, but he is a possible candidate. I am wrong all the time but when I see Azerbaijan exceeding FIDE bid specs at the World Cup and now the Olympiad, despite a currency crisis, it makes me wonder if an Azeri candidate will emerge.

Comment

Working...
    X