An Example of Real Professional Officials Taking Advantage - (Non-Chess)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Example of Real Professional Officials Taking Advantage - (Non-Chess)

Sorry guys, but if you want to see an "arbiter" who is really abusing his powers of officiating - check out MLB umpire Vic Carapazza. Today he is the home plate umpire for the Jays - Indians game.

Just as in last year's game in October, Carapazza is calling a very wide an inconsistent strike zone. It seems to be against the Jays to some degree, since the calls generally are going in the favour of Cleveland. This could be examined with call vs. pitch trax location.

This is my idea of a terrible and abusive "arbiter" - 1) non-consistent and 2) biased. I think that Carapazza is playing around with his right to judge games. I hope that the MLB looks into this, but I doubt it. He is a repeat offender. And man he has no problems giving the hook to Jays players who dare complain about how unfair he is.

This type of bad judgement always brings to mind the possibility of paying off officials.

I don't think the CFC really has any arbiters in Canada who belong to this class. They are all trying to do the best job they know how and are bound to piss someone off on occasion. They are not as clearly "just wrong" as Carapazza!

Re: An Example of Real Professional Officials Taking Advantage - (Non-Chess)

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
    Sorry guys, but if you want to see an "arbiter" who is really abusing his powers of officiating - check out MLB umpire Vic Carapazza. Today he is the home plate umpire for the Jays - Indians game.

Just as in last year's game in October, Carapazza is calling a very wide an inconsistent strike zone. It seems to be against the Jays to some degree, since the calls generally are going in the favour of Cleveland. This could be examined with call vs. pitch trax location.

This is my idea of a terrible and abusive "arbiter" - 1) non-consistent and 2) biased. I think that Carapazza is playing around with his right to judge games. I hope that the MLB looks into this, but I doubt it. He is a repeat offender. And man he has no problems giving the hook to Jays players who dare complain about how unfair he is.

This type of bad judgement always brings to mind the possibility of paying off officials.

I don't think the CFC really has any arbiters in Canada who belong to this class. They are all trying to do the best job they know how and are bound to piss someone off on occasion. They are not as clearly "just wrong" as Carapazza!
    I can think of two arbiters in Canada like this though; not sure if they remain active or not. And yes, there were many who admired and respected those two individuals in Canadian chess.

Comment

A more objective way to determine balls and strikes needs to be created and used.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        A more objective way to determine balls and strikes needs to be created and used.
        That would be great, but ...

As someone who has umpired and whose son is a Nationally certified umpire now, I can tell you that all this video replay nonsense has ruined the game for me.

Sure, as a FAN, I am annoyed when a call doesn't go my team's way but I think the only thing that should be appealed *might be* the incorrect application of a rule. All judgement calls (including balls and strikes) are simply that: judgement - good or bad, you got it. If an umpire incorrectly interprets a rule, that might be subject to a challenge, but the whole concept of a challenge in baseball is silly because there are no sensible consequences to an overturned challenge, thus rendering the whole process moot.

Umpires have always been able to (and on occasion HAVE) reversed a call - usually when other umpire on the field brings some info to their attention. Part of the enjoyment of baseball is based on the fact that both teams have to play within the constraints imposed by the umpires and that means the good with the bad.

Having said all that, the plate umpire's strike zone was strange to say the least and I likely would have been tossed too if I was the manager or a player that was victimized by some of those apparently bad calls. :)
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Parenthetically, I used to umpire slo-pitch. The number of plays that have been overturned in MLB this year shows just how often umpires get it wrong. And why shouldn't they make mistakes, it is a fast paced game. I enjoy the game much more this year with the introduction of video replay.

Comment

Working...
          X