RIP Howard Streit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Howard Streit

Howard Streit passed away a couple of days ago in Vancouver of thyroid cancer. I had known him since we were both 5 or 6 years old and went to school together for many years. In grade 10 at Montreal West High School, a chess club was formed, and I went to check it out. Howard was there - and I never knew he played chess! We played in many Montreal tournaments together (as well as out of town events nearby) in the late 60's and early 70's - the highlight being the 1968 Canadian Open in Toronto when we stayed with Howard's aunt in the Beaches area. Look at any of the big databases and you will see the matches we played against each other - he got a chess clock before I did, so we had to use it.

After graduating Concordia with a degree in geography, he took up teaching - both in traditional schools (mostly English and history), as well as chess in the Montreal area. He started the Westmount chess club - mostly for kids in the area - but adults started trickling in as well. He ran that for a few years in the 80's and 90's before seeking a better life in BC after a recent marriage. They settled on Bowen Island - a short ferry ride from suburban Vancouver. He taught for many years at Collingwood - a private school in West Vancouver - which meant many 5:30 am ferry rides. He did play in a couple of tournaments in Europe in 2008 and 2009 - otherwise the extent of his chess was blitz on ICC.

I was last in touch with him Easter weekend when I tried unsuccessfully to meet up with him during or after the Grand Pacific Open.

He leaves behind Patricia and her children (grandchildren?), and his twin sister Virginia who was living in Edmonton the last I heard.

More details as I hear about them.

Re: RIP Howard Streit

So so sad!

Simply a great human being!

We spent thousands of hours together when he lived in Montreal, from trips to chess tournaments, to having breakfast together on a regular basis...he taught chess for us in the early days...one of the best!

No, life is simply not fair!

Another reason to complete my bucket list...this cancer thing is eating up so many of the people that have been a big part of my life :(

Larry

Comment

That is sad news. I met Howard Streit for the first time last year, at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal in West Vancouver. He was on his way home to Bowen Island. We struck up a conversation, quickly learned that we were both chessplayers, and recognized each other's names immediately. Nice man.

Comment

An obituary has appeared, with a memorial service to be held on Sunday, August 28, on Bowen Island, BC.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mon...&pid=181050291

Comment

Working...
        X