Funny story from the World Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny story from the World Open

I have some funny stories from the World Open. Here is one of them.

During World Open we had few side events. Two major side events were Rapid Championship (game/10 + 2 sec delay) and Blitz (game/5). Mark played in both tournaments. In Rapid he shared 1-st place with GM M.Dlugy with 4.5/5. The tournament wasn't extremely strong and Mark needed to play with 2 stronger opponents only. He beat IM Norowitz in round 3 and drew with Dlugy in round 5. I saw his last 2 games. In round 5, he got a very comfortable position with black and a big time advantage (like 8 min to 5 min). Dlugy offered a draw, which was accepted after some hesitation.

So far nothing special. Mark sometimes plays well in blitz or rapid tournaments. The most interesting thing happened in round 3 against Norowitz. Before the game, Norowitz asked Mark about his rating and ICC nick. Mark did not tell he is "littleplotkin" and mentioned some random nick. After the round, somebody else told Norowitz about Mark. He became angry. "I did not play seriously. I would have crushed you had I knew your real strength". After some interesting conversation, they decided to solve the conflict over the board. They agreed to play 6-games match after the tournament. The price was 10 USD per game. Mark got 1.5 min - 5 min time odds.

Mark asked my opinion about the deal. "OK, very few players can beat you 1.5 - 5. Norowitz is not one of them". Norowitz indeed strong in blitz and considers himself second best in States after Nakamura. Probably, he slightly overestimates himself. He used to be very active on ICC (nick YaacovN) and played more than 150.000 games total. I remember, we played a lot about 10 years ago. He was around 3100 in blitz and 2500 in bullet that time. Sure, he won majority of games, but I was able to score about 20-25%. In slow chess, he is a regular 2430 IM.

The match started around 1 at night in the lobby. 20-25 players come to see the show. Norowitz is really popular in USA, Mark also had his own fan-club. T.Sohal from BS was among the spectators. After 5 games, the score was 5-0. Reminds me a famous Russian song "What the pain, what the pain, Argentina - Jamaica 5-0". Only once Norowitz got absolutely winning position, but blundered a queen and lost. In other games he never had a real chance to score a point. In game 6, in slightly worse position he started the dialog again "It's just unfair. What do you think would be a fair deal? - I don't know. - Is it 3 on 5? - I don't know". After third or forth iteration, Norowitz smashed the board: "It's enough". He paid 50 USD immediately. Mark believes that Norowitz has to pay 10 USD more.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Wednesday, 6th July, 2016, 10:46 AM.

Re: Funny story from the World Open

Victor,

Can you share some tips on how to be good at blitz? I am terrible at blitz and have always wondered if it's because blitz is 99% chess skills whereas in slower chess you can hide behind non-chess skills.

Comment

Thnx for sharing a story. LOL

1.5 min for a OTB game is really a short period. That's a real hand sport :)

Comment

"It's just unfair. What do you think would be a fair deal? - I don't know. - Is it 3 on 5? "
        To which Mark should have said " I don't know, Norowitz, I don't think I can spot you 5 minutes to three."

Comment

I wonder if there is any other game or sport that, proportionately, is home to as many fragile egos as chess is? "Well done, Mark" is what this Norowitz dick should have said. :)
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Enjoyed the story ... what-a-go Mark! And congrats on your win over a gm in round 1.

Any more amusing stories, Victor?

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
              I have some funny stories from the World Open. Here is one of them....

"It's just unfair....".
              Great story!

I was wondering what Norowitz thought was "unfair".

Then I realized that he was complaining about being handicapped by having to carry around his big ego.

No way anyone can move fast with something like that weighing you down. :D

Comment

and the video proof LOL
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5oJKQxNb9I

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  Love the comments!

"He was googa"

"Yes, the man next to littleplotkin is Kasparov".

Comment

Working...
                  X