World Junior and Girls U-20 Chess Championship 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Junior and Girls U-20 Chess Championship 2017

After 4 years the U-20 World Junior will return to Europe at Tarvisio, Italy
    I'm wondering if CFC has any plans to do a Canadian Junior in 2016 or early 2017 like the one Chess'n Math did in 2012

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr8791...det=YES&wi=984

In my opinion a 10 players round robin will be the best format.
    Last edited by Rene Preotu; Thursday, 7th July, 2016, 11:26 AM.

Re: World Junior and Girls U-20 Chess Championship 2017

Anyone can make a bid to hold the Canadian Junior. The CFC itself does not generally organize tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      The CFC itself does not generally organize tournaments.
      Quote of the year right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
        Quote of the year right here.
        Hi Aman. I knew I was setting myself up there.

However, maybe I was wrong as generally, CFC MEMBERS organize tournaments and the CFC is really just the members that comprise it. I'm sure you have lot of contacts in Ontario and Quebec, you've been a Canadian coach at the WYCC and now a Captain at the Olympiad, maybe you can make a phone call or send an e-mail of encouragement to someone to come forward. I have wondered recently why it couldn't be held alongside the CYCC (although that would exclude those U18).

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          Anyone can make a bid to hold the Canadian Junior. The CFC itself does not generally organize tournaments.
          Fred,

I know, but the last Canadian Junior was done by Larry in a nice downtown Toronto venue. He did a great job sponsoring the whole event and gave a nice prize (flights for the winner and his coach).
          Since then no other organizer tried to do it because it won't generate enough money to cover the 1st place travel expenses. That's why CFC has to step in and do something.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
            Fred,

I know, but the last Canadian Junior was done by Larry in a nice downtown Toronto venue. He did a great job sponsoring the whole event and gave a nice prize (flights for the winner and his coach).
            Since then no other organizer tried to do it because it won't generate enough money to cover the 1st place travel expenses. That's why CFC has to step in and do something.
            Hi Rene,

Actually Francis Rodrigues did all the work and Chess'n Math picked up the bills. I submitted the bid :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              Hi Rene,

Actually Francis Rodrigues did all the work and Chess'n Math picked up the bills. I submitted the bid :)

Larry

Rene. A sponsor would have to be found to emulate Larry's event. While it would be nice to see the CFC "organization" sponsor this, we do not have that kind of money. However, it definitely should be put back in the list of events we are looking to have organized.

Comment

With larger revenue, the CFC could organize national events. This requires either more members, larger membership fees or sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  With larger revenue, the CFC could organize national events. This requires either more members, larger membership fees or sponsorship.
                  or a different business model.

Comment

Even if there were more disposable income, it's not a given that sponsoring National tournaments would be the proper place to spend it.

Comment

Fred, I wrote " could" not "would". Egidijus, what do suggest as a business model for the CFC?

Comment

Egidijus, what do suggest as a business model for the CFC?
                        To become more pro active generating income. (and one thing would be to keep a timely magazine LOL Were any attempts to attract advertising from chess publishing companies?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          To become more pro active generating income. (and one thing would be to keep a timely magazine LOL Were any attempts to attract advertising from chess publishing companies?
                          We cannot run advertising for any company that would be considered competition for Strategy Games (at least until the current contract expires).

Comment

Hi Fred,

At the present time the Chess'n Math Association gives the CFC $5,000 a year for this exclusivity. If you get a better offer, I am sure it will be easy to convince my board to step aside.

Just let me know.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                            X