Chess Canada News!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Canada News!!

Many thanks to John Upper for yet another outstanding Chess Canada News. When it was decided to switch to an electronic format, the hope was that it would become the magazine of record for Canadian chess. That has been achieved, and much more. No more vain attempts to compete with New In Chess with the latest (but very late) in global chess. The mag now focuses on Canadian achievements and Canadian events. I particularly enjoyed the excellent accounts of the triumphs and disasters of Krnan and Kovalyov in the latest rounds of world competition plus the review of local events. The photographs are simply outstanding, both the originals and the screen captures.
    This more than pays for my CFC membership.

Re: Chess Canada News!!

Very well said Gordon, I also love the Canadian angles, and the different player levels covered in analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      Many thanks to John Upper for yet another outstanding Chess Canada News. When it was decided to switch to an electronic format, the hope was that it would become the magazine of record for Canadian chess. That has been achieved, and much more. No more vain attempts to compete with New In Chess with the latest (but very late) in global chess. The mag now focuses on Canadian achievements and Canadian events. I particularly enjoyed the excellent accounts of the triumphs and disasters of Krnan and Kovalyov in the latest rounds of world competition plus the review of local events. The photographs are simply outstanding, both the originals and the screen captures.
      This more than pays for my CFC membership.
      I haven't got the email with the link to the October number

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
        I haven't got the email with the link to the October number
        OK. I got it.

Comment

Bilingual?

Any attempt at all?

Or is the publication exclusive to English Canada?

Just curious, not having read the pub in a long while...

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
            Bilingual?

Any attempt at all?
            Yes, but so far only one article in French.
            Contributors are free to write in English or French, and despite my encouragement, all the French-speaking annotators have (so far) chosen to write in English.

Or is the publication exclusive to English Canada?
            All CFC members can get it, no matter what language they speak or where in Canada -- or the world -- they are.

FQE members are also supposed to be able to get a link to it emailed from the FQE, but AFAIK that doesn't seem to happen very often: I was an FQE member from 2013-15 and I think I got only two email links to Chess Canada.

Just curious, not having read the pub in a long while...
            "curious" ...but not curious enough to read it?

PS: thanks to the first two posters for their kind words.
            You are both clearly unreliable judges of quality, and your errors will be identified and berated by future posters.
            Last edited by John Upper; Saturday, 9th July, 2016, 12:15 AM. Reason: PS

Comment

I'd love to read it! Is the pub free to non-members? From Gordos post I gathered it was membership only.

To bad the pub isn't fully Canadian ... French & English ... that day will come!

Comment

not in my inbox :/

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  not in my inbox :/
                  It takes a few days to send the emails to everyone.
                  Accounts are limited to 500 emails per day.
                  Be patient.

Comment

Re : Re: Chess Canada News!!

[QUOTE=John Upper;105558]FQE members are also supposed to be able to get a link to it emailed from the FQE, but AFAIK that doesn't seem to happen very often[/I].

There is one reason for that: the FQE does not get any link most of the time. Our email: info@fqechecs.qc.ca. Previous links would be appreciated too.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Chess Canada News!!

[QUOTE=Louis Morin;105566]
                      Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                      FQE members are also supposed to be able to get a link to it emailed from the FQE, but AFAIK that doesn't seem to happen very often[/I].

There is one reason for that: the FQE does not get any link most of the time. Our email: info@fqechecs.qc.ca. Previous links would be appreciated too.
                      I always send the link to Richard Berube, FQE Executive Director.
                      And if you haven't been getting them, why would you not complain?

Let me know which issues you need, and I will send them.
                      But please first check with Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        It takes a few days to send the emails to everyone.
                        Accounts are limited to 500 emails per day.
                        Be patient.
                        Got mine today. Over 70 pages.
                        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                        X