Canadian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Open

With respect to Neil Frarey's renewed interest in Canadian chess (as Halldor stated, Neil has been on the sidelines for almost a decade), and his wish to grow the membership levels, creating a new Membership Coordinator role would be ideal, affiliated with the Executive. And we wonder why CFC membership levels have fallen to historic lows?

Comment

Back on-topic (i.e. Canadian Open).

The publicity at http://windsorchess.org/canadian-open.php mentions "Prizes are guaranteed but based on paid entries. Prize structure is based on 160 fully paid entries." Does that mean "guaranteed" or not? Was the "guaranteed" $15,000 prize found all given out?

There were 126 entries. With the 25 U1200 entries each counting as 0.4 of an entry for calculating total entries for prize fund purposes, 101+(25*0.4) = 111 total entries for prize fund purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Back on-topic (i.e. Canadian Open).

"Prizes are guaranteed but based on paid entries. Prize structure is based on 160 fully paid entries." Does that mean "guaranteed" or not? Was the "guaranteed" $15,000 prize found all given out?"
        I asked the same question a month before the event, and received this not-very-clear reply from Vlad "Prizes are guaranteed. If we get more than 158 entries they go up."

I don't know how much was paid out.

Comment

$14,804 was paid out or at least cheques in that amount were filled out, paypal payments were made or in five cases cash was paid. There was no unrated player eligible for the $200 unrated prize which would have required playing in the under 1600 section. If there had been, the full $15,000 would have been paid out.

There are a few players who left without collecting their cheques. A mistake was made in filling out the cheques for one of the class prizes in the open section. It was reported that there were eight people tied for the prize but it turned out that one was not eligible and therefore the prize should have been split 7 ways instead of eight. This mistake was caught by the head organizer just before the presentation of prizes. For the people on site we gave the incorrect cheque plus cash to make up the difference.

We will probably void the cheques of those who did not collect their winnings and send via paypal for anyone who paid by paypal with the organizers absorbing any paypal fees. One player has made arrangements to collect his winnings at NAYCC. If it seems likely that there won't be a postal strike we will mail out cheques.

Ken Einarsson is owed $125 for his share of the under 1800 prize.
          IM Kaiqi Yang, Edward Song, Michael Humphries, Mike Ivanov are each owed $71.43
          All other prizes have been paid.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 19th July, 2016, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I for one was impressed that prizes were guaranteed. From the math, it seems they were almost 50 full registrations short, but the guarantees were never in doubt. Goodly.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
              I for one was impressed that prizes were guaranteed. From the math, it seems they were almost 50 full registrations short, but the guarantees were never in doubt. Goodly.
              There may be some additional costs that have yet to present themselves but the early analysis appears to indicate that we broke even when you take fundraising and late fees (which were much higher than expected) into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                There may be some additional costs that have yet to present themselves but the early analysis appears to indicate that we broke even when you take fundraising and late fees (which were much higher than expected) into consideration.
                As I understand it, a Prize Guarantee means that the organizing committee is taking on a financial risk, beyond just covering their expenses; they are adding any shortfall in prize fund.

As a player, I appreciate this risk-taking; the counter-hope is that the guaranteed prize fund makes the tournament more attractive, and will in the end attract enough registrants to not suffer any loss.

We players are truly indebted to our entrepreneur organizers. Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                X