Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wycc 2016

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
    Alex has a history of having a short temper and causing public disturbances in playing halls, so his selection is certainly a bit strange in that regard. I understand that he is cheaper for many reasons.

On May 5th, 2016 I have an email record to the CFC stating my interest in the position, so there is no if I submitted an application.

It's strange that after 3 years of coaching the WYCC in a row, that I'm not contacted or at least considered out of courtesy.
    I am not familiar with his history beyond the fact that he came to CYCC and worked very well with the kids of all levels there and also gave an outstanding 2 hour off the cuff lecture at the Canadian Open on chess history on the subject of Pillsbury.

I saw the email for the first time today. The request was in the P.S. of an email dealing with the Olympiad coaching position (which you were successful in applying for) and titled that way. If I or Frank Lee had seen it I am sure that you would have been asked to go to Batumi. When dealing with someone who gets a lot of email it is very easy for something to get lost in the shuffle. During the time of CYCC and the Canadian Open when the decisions were being made I know I had little spare time to even think about anything beyond answering the barrage of email that I was getting on two separate email accounts. A proper subject line and addressing things to the decision makers would have yielded a successful outcome. The ball was dropped unfortunately.

Comment

The USCF has a much better system for qualification. Rating requirements. No need to waste vacation time and money "qualifying" for the WYCC via the CYCC since it appears that even someone getting zero in the CYCC theoretically could still be eligible to play in the WYCC.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

If you put an application in you would have been accepted as you would have been the second most qualified applicant.
        Was there a call for applications? Did Alexander Cherniaev apply in written?

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
          On May 5th, 2016 I have an email record to the CFC stating my interest in the position, so there is no if I submitted an application.

It's strange that after 3 years of coaching the WYCC in a row, that I'm not contacted or at least considered out of courtesy.
          Aman, please accept my apology. I dropped the ball by not forwarding your email to Vlad and Frank immediately. Vlad called today and asked me about it. I found it and sent it to him.

The CFC office does receive a high volume of emails. Unfortunately, that means an email can get buried under a flurry of new emails. I would suggest to all that if you don't receive a timely response that a follow up email is recommended.

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 4th August, 2016, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Was there a call for applications? Did Alexander Cherniaev apply in written?
            The glaring fact that the CFC wouldn't think to contact the person who was the coach at the WYCC for the last 3 years and shown interest to do so again is so odd. Outsourcing a job when you have someone local and enthusiastic (also with documented success doing the job), someone who is familiar with almost all the players, and someone who has worked with more than 50% of them as a private coach seems a bit unnecessary.

At this point its partially that my email wasn't noticed but also that I can still be contacted, even if I don't display my interest in writing, just out of courtesy.

:D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Aman, please accept my apology. I dropped the ball by not forwarding your email to Vlad and Frank immediately. Vlad called today and asked me about it. I found it and sent it to him.

The CFC office does receive a high volume of emails. Unfortunately, that means an email can get buried under a flurry of new emails. I would suggest to all that if you don't receive a timely response that a follow up email is recommended.

Bob
              While I appreciate your apology, you're suggesting that I should have sent a follow-up email and because I did not, I should understand that things can be lost in a pile of emails. For a national organization to expect its members to be responsible for lost emails is quite funny to me.

The CFC has no structure in place about a formal application period, no advertising about when decisions will be made, the whole thing is disorganized. But if that's going to be the case you can at least contact the people who have shown a repeat interest in fulfilling this job.

Essentially what I'm saying is that your apology doesn't get me to the WYCC.

Comment

Thank you, Vlad, for explanation!
                Indeed, Qiyu has quite a busy schedule this year.
                Still, I think, it's make sense to ask her - as you pointed out, Maili-Jade also has busy schedule and is going to WYCC.
                If Qiyu declines, looking at NAYCC registrations we see other girls capable of representing Canada at WYCC, for example, Constance Wang.
                Maybe you could ask them at NAYCC about this opportunity?
                Sometimes people just don't aware about it...

Thanks,

Comment

Aman, you're right - the CFC has no structure in place for discussing such issues at the moment.
                  But few years ago such structure existed - it's the CFC Youth Committee.
                  At the coming CFC Annual Meeting we're going to revive the CFC Youth Committee.
                  Would you be interested in joining it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                    The USCF has a much better system for qualification. Rating requirements. No need to waste vacation time and money "qualifying" for the WYCC via the CYCC since it appears that even someone getting zero in the CYCC theoretically could still be eligible to play in the WYCC.

It sounds like the USCF is better, but only for the participants? The CFC system is "better" for the CFC.... why, because it's another "money milker". Hey, if the parents are willing to pay up, milk it for as much as you can get! These are desperate times for the CFC.

Perhaps there should be a CYCC.... qualifier....for the CYCC.... qualifier.... etc.
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      It sounds like the USCF is better, but only for the participants? The CFC system is "better" for the CFC.... why, because it's another "money milker". Hey, if the parents are willing to pay up, milk it for as much as you can get! These are desperate times for the CFC.

Perhaps there should be a CYCC.... qualifier....for the CYCC.... qualifier.... etc.
                      The CYCC generates funds to sends teams to the World Youth, World Cadet, Pan-Am Youth, North American Youth, U16 Olympiad, etc. None of the money goes to the general CFC funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                        The CYCC generates funds to sends teams to the World Youth, World Cadet, Pan-Am Youth, North American Youth, U16 Olympiad, etc. None of the money goes to the general CFC funds.
                        Well, Fred, I didn't say the funds were going into your bank account. Whatever they are going towards, it is still money that the CFC gets to use. Good for the CFC! No wonder there are so many bloody coaches and young people wanting to be coaches. See the world on the dime of rich chess parents!

It's still money that is milked from the chess parents and brought into the CFC ecosystem. And because it's successful -- that is, the resistance level of the chess parents does not seem to have yet been reached -- I suggested there should be more qualifiers... for the qualifiers.... for the qualifiers.... Silly USCF for not having discovered this yet, according to Tom O'Donnell.

And meanwhile, there is still a paucity of money for chess-playing adults in the CFC.....Nobody is sponsoring a trip overseas for them to play in the WMASCC....(World Middle-Aged Schmuck Chess Championship).... and in fact, it's like pulling teeth to try and get a Canadian Closed organized.....
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          Well, Fred, I didn't say the funds were going into your bank account. Whatever they are going towards, it is still money that the CFC gets to use. Good for the CFC! No wonder there are so many bloody coaches and young people wanting to be coaches. See the world on the dime of rich chess parents!

It's still money that is milked from the chess parents and brought into the CFC ecosystem. And because it's successful -- that is, the resistance level of the chess parents does not seem to have yet been reached -- I suggested there should be more qualifiers... for the qualifiers.... for the qualifiers.... Silly USCF for not having discovered this yet, according to Tom O'Donnell.

And meanwhile, there is still a paucity of money for chess-playing adults in the CFC.....Nobody is sponsoring a trip overseas for them to play in the WMASCC....(World Middle-Aged Schmuck Chess Championship).... and in fact, it's like pulling teeth to try and get a Canadian Closed organized.....
                          Unfortunately the CFC does not have the financial resources of the USCF. I imagine those Official reps (chosen by rating) are sponsored by the USCF or some foundation.

Comment

The US is flooded with kids' tournaments. I'm not sure if their profits go to international events or not, though.

http://www.uschess.org/content/view/10015/95

Comment

https://new.uschess.org/news/players...6-world-youth/

https://new.uschess.org/news/players...-world-cadets/

Most of these players qualified by rating alone and would have to pay out of their own pocket if they want to go to the WYCC. Still, from having taught a few players who qualified via the USCF system, this is a much preferable method.

Consider someone from BC has to fly to Windsor, taking time off work, then if their child "qualifies" (which is totally meaningless in this context) they pay again to fly to Europe and have to take more time off work.

To be clear: is there literally anyone who played in this year's CYCC who would NOT be eligible to play in this year's WYCC/WCCC regardless of their result as long as they paid their way?
                              Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Friday, 5th August, 2016, 10:18 AM.
                              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                                https://new.uschess.org/news/players...6-world-youth/

https://new.uschess.org/news/players...-world-cadets/

Most of these players qualified by rating alone and would have to pay out of their own pocket if they want to go to the WYCC. Still, from having taught a few players who qualified via the USCF system, this is a much preferable method.

Consider someone from BC has to fly to Windsor, taking time off work, then if their child "qualifies" (which is totally meaningless in this context) they pay again to fly to Europe and have to take more time off work.

To be clear: is there literally anyone who played in this year's CYCC who would NOT be eligible to play in this year's WYCC/WCCC regardless of their result as long as they paid their way?
                                The Top 3 (plus ties) qualify for the WYCC or WCCC. Any other CYCC participant can apply to the Executive for permission to be added to the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X