X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinquefield Cup 2016

Sinquefield Cup 2016

July 24, 2016

The tournament takes place at the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis from August 5 to 16, 2016. It is a 10-player round robin with a prize fund of $300,000.

Schedule

Fri Aug 5 – Round 1
    Sat Aug 6 – Round 2
    Sun Aug 7 – Round 3
    Mon Aug 8 – Round 4
    Tue Aug 9 – Round 5
    Wed Aug 10 – Rest Day
    Thu Aug 11 – Round 6
    Fri Aug 12 – Round 7
    Sat Aug 13 – Round 8
    Sun Aug 14 – Round 9
    Mon Aug 15 – Playoff, Closing Ceremony

Rounds start at 1:00 PM CDT/ 2:00 PM EDT

Individual Round Day Pass $10

Players

Viswanathan Anand
    Levon Aronian
    Fabiano Caruana
    Anish Giri
    Vladimir Kramnik
    Hikaru Nakamura,
    Wesley So
    Veselin Topalov
    Maxime Vachier-Lagrave
    Ding Liren

No Karjakin, no Carlsen. This is the third leg of the Grand Chess Tour that culminates in the London Chess Classic, December 8-19. Paris and Leuven took place in June.

Re: Sinquefield Cup 2016

Sinquefield Cup 2016

July 27, 2016

During the Second Sinquefield Cup, 2014 there was the ALS ice bucket challenge craze sweeping the nation. At the time, Caruana was playing sensationally and made a video that went:

Hi, I’m Fabiano Caruana - I am here in St. Louis about to play the Sinquefield Cup, the strongest tournament ever - this is my ALS ice bucket challenge - I was challenged by Anish Giri and I would like now to challenge Maurice Ashley, Yasser Seirawan and Levon Aronian (ice water dumped on his head).

Lady photographer: I didn’t get that, can we do it again?

- (Nigel Short) Will I start playing like a 3000+ player if I take the ice-bucket challenge?

Just a stunt or were there results?

Excerpts from the Toronto Star today:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...akthrough.html

Maybe you did it, pouring a bucket of ice water on your head in order to raise money for charity. Maybe you hated the viral phenomenon with a burning passion. But no matter how you felt about the “Ice Bucket Challenge” when it took over the Internet in the fall of 2014, the meme is actually getting results, according to the main charity that benefited from the campaign.

With the millions raised for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) research from the viral stunt, the ALS Association said it was able to fund research that identified a new gene, NEK1, that contributes to the disease, the non-profit announced on Monday. The breakthrough is the subject of a paper published in Nature Genetics.

The viral campaign raised more than $115 million for the ALS Association alone, in order to fund research into new treatments for the disease. ALS is also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, a progressive neurological condition that causes muscle weakness and atrophy from the deterioration of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.

Comment

Sinquefield Cup 2016

July 28, 2016

According to Peter Doggers at chess.com, Vladimir Kramnik has withdrawn form the Sinquefield Cup because of back pains:

https://www.chess.com/news/kramnik-w...-problems-1550

Due to health issues, GM Vladimir Kramnik has withdrawn from the Sinquefield Cup, which starts next week in St. Louis. GM Peter Svidler will replace Kramnik.

Kramnik, who was going to make his debut in St. Louis, told Chess.com: “I have had back problems for quite some time already. Since it is getting worse, I just want to use this month to cure it.”
      ________

There has been no official announcement yet because there may be visa problems in getting Svidler in.

Comments online

- Kramnik has reportedly suffered from ankylosing spondylitis, which is no laughing matter. He is wise for taking time off so he can get adequate rest and treat himself in positive, supportive ways.

- Back problem? No problem! (Remember Tony Miles playing Viktor Korchnoi on a stretcher).

- When Miles started using that massage table, he went on a big winning streak. As I recall, some of his opponents complained that it was distracting, and one prominent GM commented that being prone should help, since you'd get more blood to the brain. When asked about giving up the massage table, Miles said he'd withdraw if he couldn't use it, since his back pain was so bad. The organizers allowed him to continue using it. As a form of protest, one of Miles's opponents played their entire game standing up.

Chess Life had an article about this episode, amusingly titled "Was Miles just prone to win".

- Svidler vs Giri should be a good post-mortem if nothing else (assuming Mo Ashley or whoever lets them gab). If he were available (no idea if he was or not), I'd say Mamedyarov would be a good last-minute choice, as he plays about the same with or without preparation (only half-joking), and aggressively in either case (Svidler being a great draw master of old, of course). Obviously Rapport would have been another possible selection, though for his sake I'd hope he'd decline it (don't want to face the sharks with minimal prep at his age IMO).

- MVL is really hot right now and might be the slight favorite, although Nakamura probably has even odds with him.

Comment

Sinquefield Cup 2016

July 29, 2016

The official website has now removed the bio of Vladimir Kramnik and substituted that of Peter Svidler:

http://grandchesstour.org/2016-sinquefield-cup/field

The only problem is that Svidler has been given an ELO of 2801, whereas, I believe he is World Number 14 with a rating of 2754.

Peter Svidler

Title:
        Grandmaster
        Rating:
        Residence:
        Russia
        Accepted

Bio:
        Svidler is a 7 time Russian Chess Champion (1994, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2013.) He also has represented the Russian Olympiad team 10 times helping his team win the gold medal in his first five appearances. By winning the 2011 Chess World Cup, he qualified for Candidates stage of the 2013 World Championship cycle. In that event, Peter soundly defeated the eventual World Champion, Magnus Carlsen. Svidler is also world-renowned chess commentator.

Comment

Sinquefield Cup 2016

August 4, 2016

Pairings

Round One, Aug. 5, 2016
          Giri-MVL
          Anand-Caruana
          So-Nakamura
          Ding Liren-Aronian
          Topalov-Svidler

Round Two, Aug. 6, 2016
          Aronian-Svidler
          Caruana-Topalov
          MVL-Anand
          Nakamura-Giri
          Ding Liren-So

Round Three, Aug. 7, 2016
          So-Aronian
          Giri-Ding Liren
          Anand-Nakamura
          Topalov-MVL
          Svidler-Caruana

Round Four, Aug. 8, 2016
          Aronian-Caruana
          MVL-Svidler
          Nakamura-Topalov
          Ding Liren-Anand
          So-Giri

Round Five, Aug. 9, 2016
          Giri-Aronian
          Anand-So
          Topalov-Ding Liren
          Svidler-Nakamura
          Caruana-MVL

Round Six, Aug. 11, 2016
          Aronian-MVL
          Nakamura-Caruana
          Ding Liren-Svidler
          So-Topalov
          Giri-Anand

Round Seven, Aug. 12, 2016
          Anand-Aronian
          Topalov-Giri
          Svidler-So
          Caruana-Ding Liren
          MVL-Nakamura

Round Eight, Aug. 13, 2016
          Aronian-Nakamura
          Ding Liren-MVL
          So-Caruana
          Giri-Svidler
          Anand-Topalov

Round Nine, Aug. 14, 2016
          Topalov-Aronian
          Svidler-Anand
          Caruana-Giri
          MVL-So
          Nakamura-Ding Liren

Playoff, Aug. 15, 2016 (if necessary)

Comment

MVL's recent rise in ratings to the top player in the world not named Carlsen has not gone unnoticed in the betting world. He's co-favourite here with Caruana at 11/5 with Nakamura a very close 3rd at 13/5.

https://www.marathonbet.com/en/betting/Chess/

Oddly enough, Caruana is the longest shot on the board today in his R1 game with Anand at 34/5. That's largely because this is the game most likely to be drawn with 15 of their previous 19 classical encounters ending in such fashion. :(

There's little empirical evidence but in their brief history Ding Liren is a perfect +2 -0 =2 against Aronian.

Comment

Sinquefield Cup 2016

August 5, 2016

Round One

The commentators are Jennifer Shahade, Yasser Seirawan and Maurice Ashley.

It struck me that in the reporting of many chess events that the historical context is not given and would be interesting to know. For the present that is trivial but for five years hence, perhaps, looking back, I would put on record that during these two weeks - the Summer Olympic games have started in Rio. The Zika virus spread by mosquitoes is a danger there and elsewhere. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are the candidates for U.S. President with the election coming up in November. The Chess Olympiad in Baku is less than a month away. The Blue Jays are fighting with the Orioles for first place in the AL East. Have I missed anything important?
              ______

Getting serious now, the broadcast had the usual first-round hiccups - no transmission at first and then not being able to get the playback feature working until some time after the games were over. That makes it very difficult to check quotes.

Svidler is the first do go down after a blunder against Topalov (25...Rb4). Peter was pleasant at the postmortem with Maurice, saying that he associates the playing venue with his results and he will appreciate St. Louis better when his results are better.

Veselin said he had the impression that Peter was still suffering from jet lag, taking a huge amount of time on two simple moves. "He was still in Switzerland."

Ding Liren was satisfied with the draw in his first game. He did a lot of calculation in the first half. He thinks things will be better when he gains more confidence. He had his coach with him but gave the interview by himself.

Lev Aronian said that he likes a fighting game but when it is boring, you pray for it to end. He thought that Ding Liren was a little intimidated in his first Sinquefield Cup appearance.

On the question of Ding Liren's confidence, he said that in his first super-tournament, the Corus at Wijk aan Zee (2006), he had to meet Vassily Ivanchuk. He went all out, lost a couple of pawns and the game.

It is a game well-worth playing over, a King's Indian. Some comments at chessgames.com:

- Aronian played over-ambitiously today, while Ivanchuk conducted the game perfectly.

- Well, at least he tried to play for a win! I guess the inexperience leads to these things, but I hope Aronian recovers

- Awful start to the tournament for Aronian. A loss like this can really harm your confidence. Any game when you overlook straightforward tactics can not make you feel too good.

- A big cheer for both players! The game was very unbalanced and interesting. A pawn on the 7th rank is something to reckon with, but maybe Aronian put too much confidence in it. Time-trouble could also have been a factor.

Maurice asked Levon if he was going to pick on the Americans the way he did last year. Levon said, "I don't pick on anyone. I'm just like a doctor, waiting for my patients."

Wesley So destroyed Nakamura in their game and in the postmortem he said, "I would like to thank the Lord and my seconds for the victory and preparing this line."

Hikaru seemed to be in a good mood, despite his loss. He said he just wasn't seeing things today. He would calculate a line, play it and then see at the end something he hadn't foreseen. He just didn't deserve to win today.

Anish Giri outtalked Maurice, but in a nice way. Giri had a good game going but played 34.Ka2? and that game went to a draw. Maxime said the difference in his play from last year is that he is that his opening preparation is working much better and he is getting positions in which he feels very much at ease and that is giving him confidence.

Vishy said he was caught off-guard with this version of the French against Fabiano. What made the game interesting was that both players were unfamiliar with the opening and had to work things out at the board. It was a game rich in possibilities.

Vishy related that at one point he was a little short of time and then the condensate from the air conditioner started to drip on the board and they had to fix the situation.

The games:

Sinquefield Cup 2016
              Round 1, Aug. 5, 2016
              Giri, Anish - Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime
              B90 Sicilian, Najdorf

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be3 Ng4 7.Bc1 Nf6 8.f3 e5 9.Nb3 Be6 10.Be3 Be7 11.Qd2 O-O 12.O-O-O Nbd7 13.g4 b5 14.g5 b4 15.gxf6 bxc3 16.Qxc3 Nxf6 17.Na5 Rc8 18.Nc6 Qe8 19.Nxe7+ Qxe7 20.Qa5 Rc6 21.Kb1 Rfc8 22.Rd2 Nh5 23.Rg1 Qh4 24.Be2 Nf4 25.Bd1 f5 26.exf5 Bxf5 27.Ka1 d5 28.c3 Rg6 29.Rxg6 hxg6 30.Bxf4 Qxf4 31.Qxd5+ Kh7 32.Bb3 a5 33.a4 Re8 34.Ka2 Be6 35.Qc6 Bxb3+ 36.Kxb3 Rb8+ 37.Kc2 Rxb2+ 38.Kxb2 Qxd2+ 39.Kb3 Qxh2 40.Qd5 Qe2 41.Qxa5 Qd1+ 42.Kb2 Qd2+ 43.Kb3 Qd1+ 44.Kb2 Qd2+ 45.Ka3 Qc1+ 46.Kb4 Qb1+ 47.Ka3 1/2-1/2

Round 1, Aug. 5, 2016
              Anand, Vishy - Caruana, Fabiano
              C01 French, Exchange

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.exd5 exd5 5.Bd3 Nf6 6.Ne2 O-O 7.O-O c6 8.Bg5 h6 9.Bh4 Re8 10.f3 Nbd7 11.Qd2 Nf8 12.Rae1 Bd7 13.a3 Be7 14.Bf2 Ng6 15.Bg3 Nh5 16.Bxg6 fxg6 17.Be5 Bh4 18.Rd1 Bg5 19.f4 Be7 20.h3 Be6 21.Kh2 Nf6 22.Nc1 h5 23.Nd3 Bf5 24.Ne2 Ne4 25.Qe3 h4 26.Rc1 Rc8 27.c3 Qb6 28.b4 Bf6 29.Nc5 Nxc5 30.bxc5 Qb2 31.Ng1 b6 32.Nf3 bxc5 33.dxc5 Be4 34.Rce1 Re7 35.Bxf6 gxf6 36.Nxh4 Rce8 37.Qg3 Rg7 38.Ra1 g5 39.fxg5 Rxg5 40.Qf2 Qxc3 41.Qxf6 Qg3+ 42.Kg1 Qxg2+ 43.Nxg2 Rxg2+ 44.Kh1 Rf2+ 45.Kg1 1/2-1/2

Round 1, Aug. 5, 2016
              So, Wesley - Nakamura, Hikaru
              E05 Catalan, Open, Classical Line

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.g3 Be7 5.Bg2 O-O 6.O-O dxc4 7.Ne5 Nc6 8.Nxc6 bxc6 9.Na3 Bxa3 10.bxa3 Ba6 11.Qd2 Rb8 12.Qa5 Qc8 13.a4 Rd8 14.Ba3 Rxd4 15.Rfb1 Rb6 16.Bc5 Rd7 17.Rd1 h6 18.Rxd7 Nxd7 19.Bxb6 cxb6 20.Qd2 c5 21.Rd1 Nf6 22.Kf1 Kh7 23.Qc2+ Kg8 24.Qd2 Kh7 25.Qd8 Qxd8 26.Rxd8 c3 27.Ke1 Bc4 28.Kd1 Bxa2 29.Kc2 Bc4 30.e3 b5 31.Kxc3 a6 32.Ra8 Nd5+ 33.Bxd5 exd5 34.a5 b4+ 35.Kd2 Bf1 36.Rc8 c4 37.Rb8 b3 38.Kc3 1-0

Round 1, Aug. 5, 2016
              Ding Liren - Aronian, Levon
              E10 Queen's Pawn Game

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.Nc3 Nbd7 5.Bg5 h6 6.Bh4 Be7 7.e3 O-O 8.Rc1 c5 9.dxc5 dxc4 10.Bxc4 Nxc5 11.O-O a6 12.Nd4 Nce4 13.Nxe4 Nxe4 14.Bxe7 Qxe7 15.Qc2 Nf6 16.Bb3 Rb8 17.e4 Rd8 18.Rfd1 e5 19.Nf5 Bxf5 20.exf5 Rxd1+ 21.Rxd1 e4 22.Qc3 Rd8 23.Rxd8+ Qxd8 24.h3 h5 25.Qe5 b5 26.g3 Qd7 27.g4 hxg4 28.hxg4 Nxg4 29.Qxe4 Nf6 30.Qa8+ Kh7 31.Qh1+ 1/2-1/2

Round 1, Aug. 5, 2016
              Topalov, Veselin - Svidler, Peter
              C88 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Anti-Marshall

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 O-O 8.a4 b4 9.d3 d6 10.a5 Be6 11.Bxe6 fxe6 12.Nbd2 d5 13.c3 Bd6 14.d4 bxc3 15.bxc3 exd4 16.cxd4 dxe4 17.Nxe4 Bb4 18.Bd2 Nxe4 19.Rxe4 Qd5 20.Bxb4 Qxe4 21.Bxf8 Rxf8 22.Rc1 h6 23.Qd2 Rb8 24.Qe3 Qd5 25.h3 Rb4 26.Qc3 Nxd4 27.Qxb4 Ne2+ 28.Kh1 1-0
              Last edited by Wayne Komer; Friday, 5th August, 2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

The 2 big betting favourites tomorrow are Caruana and Aronian.

https://www.marathonbet.com/en/betting/Chess/

While I fully understand the Caruana odds given his empirical domination of Topalov, +5 -1 =7 (and an additional +6 -1 =1 at quicker time controls), the Aronian odds are a bit mystifying. They stand +4 -4 =23 at classical time controls (with Svidler having a +6 -4 =3 edge at quicker time controls). Given 3 of Svidler's 4 wins have come with Black I rather like both the draw odds and the Svidler win odds. :)

Comment

Sinquefield Cup 2016

August 6, 2016

Round Two

I thought I saw white earbuds in Wesley So’s ears yesterday. That would be illegal but evidently they are yellow earplugs, which I suppose are legal. I must keep an eye on them.

There were a lot of comments online about Wesley thanking the Lord and his seconds for his win yesterday. This is quite common in other sports such as pro football. One kibitzer has no problem with this:

- To all those commenting negatively about Wesley's religious beliefs in relation to chess, are you yourself religious? I am not religious myself but if Wesley believes something divine helped him to victory, then he can by all means thank the Lord. It is part of his great character and I love him for it!

Others have said that God isn't interested in ELO points.

Ding Liren went wrong in his game against So today (19. Nxb7) and allowed him to draw it.
                  ________

There has been some discussion about streaks without losing a game. MVL’s record prior to his game with Anish Giri yesterday was this:

The FIDE calculations are 6 at Euro Club Cup, 9 at Euro Team Champ, 9 in London, 10 in Gibraltar, 1 Spanish Team game, 9 in Norway Chess, 1 in 4NCL, 10 in French teams, 7 in Dortmund, 4 in Biel), for a total of 66 prior to the Giri game.

Anand said something went wrong in the opening of his game with MVL and he was just hanging on for many moves. Vachier-Lagrave really liked his position early, and rightly so. Even a few of his competitors remarked that it was a pity he blew such a well-played game. 30. Nxe6 allowed Anand to get out from under. He finally broke MVL’s unbeaten streak at 67 games.
                  ________
                  Maurice interviewing Fabiano said that he looked dead in the water. Fabi admitted that his play today was shaky but he did save the game. Veselin said that he didn’t see a way to make any progress in the endgame no matter what the computer says. Some games are too complex with fortresses etc for the computer to evaluate properly. He was happy with his result.

Mike Klein has a great line about this game in his chess.com writeup:

Instead Caruana somehow got his Faraday cage past the metal detectors, offering his queen for a collection of pieces and living to tell the story.
                  ________

Svidler said that he was spending a lot of time on moves today not because he was day-dreaming but because the positions were complex. Losing today was unnecessary but he cannot blame jetlag and he is not dying!

Aronian gave his usual amusing interview causing the commentators all to laugh. This quote:

Winning, not losing, is the secret of chess.

Anish was quite charming, well-behaved and modest in his interview. Probably because Maurice has stopped saying that he is the youngest player there.

Anish said that he made five horrible moves in a row and then he got Hikaru confused.

Nakamura said that they both missed tactics in this game but he enjoyed the game thoroughly, because it was chess in its purest form.

The games:

Sinquefield Cup 2016
                  St. Louis, Mo.
                  Round 2, Aug. 6, 2016
                  Caruana, Fabiano – Topalov, Veselin
                  C84 Ruy Lopez, Closed

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.d3 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.a4 Bd7 9.c3 Na5 10.Ba2 c5 11.Bg5 O-O 12.axb5 axb5 13.Na3 Qb8 14.Nc2 h6 15.Bh4 c4 16.Nb4 Be6 17.Re1 Qb7 18.d4 Bg4 19.Bb1 Nb3 20.Rxa8 Rxa8 21.Ba2 Nxe4 22.Bxe7 Ned2 23.Bxb3 Nxf3+ 24.gxf3 Bxf3 25.Bxd6 Bxd1 26.Bxd1 exd4 27.cxd4 Qd7 28.Bg3 Qxd4 29.Bf3 Qd2 30.Rd1 Qxd1+ 31.Bxd1 Ra1 32.Kg2 Rxd1 33.Be5 f6 34.Bc3 Kf7 35.Nc2 g5 36.h3 Kg6 37.Na3 Rd5 38.Kf3 f5 39.Kg3 f4+ 40.Kg2 Kf5 41.f3 h5 1/2-1/2

Round 2, Aug. 6, 2016
                  Ding, Liren – So, Wesley
                  E10 Queen’s Pawn Game

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.Nc3 Nbd7 5.Bg5 h6 6.Bh4 Be7 7.e3 O-O 8.Be2 dxc4 9.Bxc4 c5 10.O-O cxd4 11.Nxd4 Nb6 12.Bb3 Nbd5 13.Nxd5 Nxd5 14.Bg3 Bf6 15.Rc1 Nb6 16.Qe2 Bd7 17.Nb5 a6 18.Nd6 Bc6 19.Nxb7 Bxb7 20.Bc7 Qe7 21.Bxb6 Bxg2 22.Kxg2 Qb7+ 23.Qf3 Qxb6 24.Rc6 Qb7 25.Rc2 Qxf3+ 26.Kxf3 Rfc8 27.Rfc1 Rxc2 28.Rxc2 Rb8 29.Rc6 a5 30.Rc5 Ra8 31.Rb5 Ra7 32.Bc2 Kf8 33.a4 Ke7 34.b4 Bc3 35.bxa5 Rxa5 1/2-1/2

Round 2, Aug. 6, 2016
                  Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime – Anand, Vishy
                  B10 Caro-Kann, Two Knights Variation

1.e4 c6 2.Nf3 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e5 Ne4 5.Ne2 Qb6 6.d4 e6 7.Nfg1 f6 8.f3 Ng5 9.exf6 gxf6 10.f4 Ne4 11.Ng3 Bd7 12.Nxe4 dxe4 13.c3 Na6 14.Qh5+ Kd8 15.Bc4 Kc7 16.a4 c5 17.Ne2 Rd8 18.Be3 f5 19.O-O Kb8 20.Qf7 Nc7 21.a5 Qc6 22.Qf6 Bd6 23.dxc5 Bxc5 24.Nd4 Qd6 25.b4 Qe7 26.Qh6 Bd6 27.Rad1 Rhf8 28.Bf2 Rf6 29.Qh4 Nd5 30.Nxe6 Bxe6 31.Bxd5 e3 32.Bxe3 Bxd5 33.Bxa7+ Kxa7 34.Qf2+ Bc5 35.Qxc5+ Qxc5+ 36.bxc5 Rd7 37.Rfe1 h6 38.Kf2 Kb8 39.c4 Bc6 40.Rxd7 Bxd7 41.Rb1 Ra6 42.Rb6 Rxa5 43.Rxh6 Rxc5 44.h4 Rxc4 45.g3 Kc7 46.h5 b5 0-1

Round 2, Aug. 6, 2016
                  Nakamura, Hikaru – Giri, Anish
                  D44 QGD, Simi-Slav

1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 Nf6 3.c4 e6 4.Nc3 c6 5.Bg5 dxc4 6.a4 Bb4 7.e4 Qa5 8.Bd2 c5 9.Bxc4 cxd4 10.Nxd4 O-O 11.Nc2 Nc6 12.Nxb4 Qxb4 13.b3 Qe7 14.O-O Rd8 15.Re1 Ne5 16.Bf1 Bd7 17.Qe2 Bc6 18.Bg5 h6 19.Bh4 Ng6 20.Bg3 Rd7 21.f3 Rad8 22.Qe3 a6 23.Rab1 Qb4 24.Rec1 e5 25.Be1 Qe7 26.Na2 Rd4 27.Ba5 R8d7 28.Bc3 Bxe4 29.fxe4 Rxe4 30.Qa7 b5 31.Qxa6 Ng4 32.h3 Qc5+ 33.Kh1 Nf2+ 34.Kh2 Qe3 35.Re1 Qf4+ 36.g3 Qf5 37.Bg2 Rh4 38.Qa8+ Kh7 39.Qf3 Rxh3+ 40.Kg1 Qxf3 41.Bxf3 Nd3 42.Re3 Rxg3+ 43.Kh2 Rxf3 44.Rxf3 bxa4 45.bxa4 e4 46.Rf5 Nh4 47.Rfb5 Nf4 48.R5b4 Rd3 49.Rxe4 g5 50.Rxf4 gxf4 51.Rf1 Nf3+ 52.Kh1 Kg6 53.a5 Kf5 54.a6 Ng5 55.a7 Rh3+ 56.Kg1 Rg3+ 57.Kf2 Ne4+ 58.Ke1 Rg8 59.Bd4 Kg4 60.Be5 1-0

Round 2, Aug. 6, 2016
                  Aronian, Levon – Svidler, Peter
                  D15 QGD Slav Accepted

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e3 a6 5.Nf3 b5 6.b3 Bg4 7.Qd2 Nbd7 8.Ne5 Nxe5 9.dxe5 Nd7 10.cxd5 cxd5 11.Qxd5 e6 12.Qd4 h5 13.Bd2 Qb8 14.Ne4 Qxe5 15.a4 Bf5 16.Ng3 Bc2 17.axb5 h4 18.Ne2 Qxb5 19.Qc3 Bh7 20.Nd4 Qb7 21.h3 Be7 22.Be2 O-O 23.Bf3 Be4 24.Bxe4 Qxe4 25.Qc6 Nc5 26.Qxe4 Nxe4 27.Nc6 Bc5 28.Ra4 Nxd2 29.Kxd2 Rfc8 30.Na5 Be7 31.Rc1 Rxc1 32.Kxc1 Rc8+ 33.Rc4 Rxc4+ 34.Nxc4 g5 35.Kd2 f5 36.Ne5 Bd6 37.Nf3 Be7 38.Ne5 Bd6 39.Nf3 Be7 40.Kd3 Kg7 41.Ne5 Bb4 42.Kc4 a5 43.Kb5 Kf6 44.Nc4 Be1 45.f3 g4 46.Nxa5 gxh3 47.gxh3 Ke5 48.Nc4+ Kd5 49.Nb6+ Kd6 50.Kc4 Kc6 51.Na4 Bf2 52.e4 fxe4 53.fxe4 Kd6 54.Nb2 1-0

Standings After Round Two

1. Aronian 1.5/2
                  2. So 1.5/2
                  3. Anand 1.5/2
                  4. Topalov 1.5/2
                  5. Nakamura 1.0/2
                  6. Caruana 1.0/2
                  7. Ding 1.0/2
                  8. MVL 0.5/2
                  9. Giri 0.5/2
                  10. Svidler 0/2

Comment

I'm not sure where Tarjei J. Svensen got his 70 number from, but his tweets use that number, not 66.

Tarjei J. Svensen ‏@TarjeiJS 17h17 hours ago
                    MVL with a great position vs Anand, and will likely be 71 games straight without a loss. Crazy! https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...cup-2016/2/1/3 … #SinquefieldCup

Tarjei J. Svensen ‏@TarjeiJS 14h14 hours ago
                    Vachier-Lagrave's incredible streak of 70 games without a loss comes to an end, as he's beaten by Anand. #SinquefieldCup

Comment

Whatever that MVL number was, it was still well short of Tal's two longest streaks. From Wikipedia:

Consecutive games without a loss

Between October 23, 1973, when he lost a game in a Soviet championship, and October 16, 1974, when he lost to Kirov at the Novi Sad tournament, Mikhail Tal had a string of 95 tournament games without a loss (46 wins and 49 draws).[84][85] Tal also has the second-longest unbeaten run in top-level competition. He went unbeaten in 86 games from July 1972, when he lost to Gunnar Uusi in the tenth round at Viljandi, until April 1973, when he lost to Balashov in round two of the USSR Team Championship in Moscow. This streak included 47 wins and 39 draws.[86]

José Raúl Capablanca went eight years without a loss (1916 to 1924, including his World Chess Championship 1921 victory over Emanuel Lasker), but this was "only" 63 games.[87]

Comment

This is shaping up to be an amazing Sinquefield cup, lots of fantastic games (Najdorfs and MVL are always an entertaining combination).
                        University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Sinquefield Cup 2016

August 7, 2016

Round Three

Watching the commentary today, I was reminded of one of the first chess commentators. WNET, the public broadcasting channel in New York City, aired the world championship between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky. The match itself wasn’t shown, instead, a 35-year-old sociology professor and chess master, Shelby Lyman, would replay the moves in the Albany, N.Y. studio.

Lyman (b. 1936), the host, became an instant sensation. People watched in bars, played hooky from work, shut off the baseball game and tuned into Lyman as he rushed around the set, explaining the game.

When it was over, Lyman was nearly as much a celebrity as Fischer. He got a syndicated chess column, which, the last I had heard, is still going.
                          _______

Eric Hansen has an amusing spot with pictures of him dressed as a hockey player and a Mountie. It is called Chess, eh? He had an interview with Women’s GM Tatev Abrahamyan and at one point asked her whom she thought would be the first lady player at the Sinquefield. Her answer was Hou Yifan now and Ju Wenjun in the future.

Levon said that he had looked at the opening line in today’s game with Wesley So a year ago. It is a good playable game for Black and easier for him to play than White. Maurice asked, “Is this draw what the doctor ordered?” and Levon replied, “Yes, a doctor waiting for his patient.” Yasser and Jennifer agree that Levon will make a good commentator some day.

Another online kibitzer has noticed Wesley’s earplug:

- Hey, anyone knows what kind of earplug Wesley has put in his right ear??? He is still wearing that earplug while playing. Anyone knows anything about it?

- Foam construction earplugs. 25 cents on music night at your local bar
                          ______

Vishy said that he was very optimistic about his game but Hikaru defended well and it was hard to get anything practical going. Nakamura agreed: I was always OK, I think. It was all very tricky for both of us. One wrong move by me and I think I am losing on the spot, and one for Vishy and it can all turn around.

Maurice was asking the players about starting off in the Classical Chess Era and then going to one where the computer often finds positions that are good despite being against practical principles.

Hikaru said that he grew up playing in New York and the prevailing culture was to win at all costs. He did get some classical training and considers that modern chess started with Capablanca.
                          _________

The game that all the grandmasters were looking at was Giri-Ding Liren. Ding could have won by walking his black king to e4 with queens still on the board but chickened out.

Ding played 35…Rxc2? instead of Ke4.

“In the end I was not so brave – I just saw it was a draw and went for it”.

Later when Maurice Ashley mentioned that Giri was “quite a good player”, Anish shot back, “I used to be!”
                          ________

Veselin blundered badly and nearly had to resign in the first half hour, yet still survived. He played 27.Rd3 and fortunately MVL answered with Rxc2 rather than d5. MVL wasn’t happy that he had just drawn.

“It was a blunder, but at the same time this endgame felt like a draw, so I was actually looking for ways to avoid queen exchanges, and in the circumstances not finding 27…d5, but only thinking about it when we were well into the endgame, showed unnecessary stupidity.”

The big stories of this round were MVL and Ding Liren letting wins get away from them.
                          ________

Peter Svidler finally got half a point.

At the time control, all eyes were on Fabiano’s clock. He had 9 seconds to make it and at 1 second he punched the clock and got his additional ration of time. “I think I was very lucky after the time control that he (Peter) wasn’t winning, or close to winning.”

He said that his opening play was pretty bad but he survived. He was told that his manager, Lawrence Trent, said it would be a draw and was seen playing bullet chess outside!

The games:

Sinquefield Cup 2016
                          St. Louis, Mo
                          Round 3, Aug. 7, 2016
                          So, Wesley – Aronian, Levon
                          C53 Giuoco Piano

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.c3 Nf6 5.d3 O-O 6.O-O h6 7.d4 Bb6 8.dxe5 Nxe4 9.Bd5 Nxf2 10.Rxf2 d6 11.exd6 Qxd6 12.Bb3 Bxf2+ 13.Kxf2 Qf6 14.Qd2 g5 15.Kg1 Bg4 16.Qf2 Rfe8 17.Be3 Bxf3 18.Nd2 Rxe3 19.Qxe3 Bh5 20.Qh3 Be2 21.Re1 Re8 22.Bc4 Qd8 23.Qxh6 Bxc4 24.Rxe8+ Qxe8 25.Qxg5+ Kf8 26.Qc5+ Kg8 27.Qg5+ Kf8 28.Qh6+ Kg8 29.Qg5+ 1/2-1/2

Round 3, Aug.7, 2016
                          Anand, Vishy – Nakamura, Hikaru
                          B90 Sicilian, Najdorf, Adams Attack

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.h3 e5 7.Nde2 h5 8.Nd5 Nxd5 9.Qxd5 Nc6 10.Qd1 Be6 11.Nc3 Ne7 12.Bd3 d5 13.exd5 Nxd5 14.O-O Nb4 15.Qe2 Qc7 16.f4 Bc5+ 17.Kh1 Nxd3 18.cxd3 Bd4 19.f5 Bd7 20.f6 g6 21.Nd5 Qd6 22.Ne7 Rd8 23.a4 Bc6 24.Be3 Bxe3 25.Nxc6 bxc6 26.Qxe3 Qd4 27.Rae1 Qxe3 28.Rxe3 O-O 29.Rxe5 Rxd3 30.Rc5 1/2-1/2

Round 3, Aug. 7, 2016
                          Topalov, Veselin – Vachier Lagrave, Maxime
                          B90 Sicilian, Najdorf

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be3 Ng4 7.Bc1 Nf6 8.f3 e5 9.Nb3 Be6 10.Be3 Be7 11.Qd2 O-O 12.O-O-O Nbd7 13.g4 b5 14.g5 b4 15.gxf6 bxc3 16.Qxc3 Nxf6 17.Na5 Rc8 18.Nc6 Qe8 19.Nxe7+ Qxe7 20.Qa5 Rc6 21.Rg1 Rfc8 22.Rg2 Bh3 23.Rgd2 Bxf1 24.Rxf1 Qe6 25.Rff2 h6 26.Kb1 Qh3 27.Rd3 Rxc2 28.Rxc2 Qf1+ 29.Bc1 Qxd3 30.Qd2 Qxc2+ 31.Qxc2 Rxc2 32.Kxc2 Kf8 33.Kb3 Ke7 34.Kc4 Ke6 35.b4 d5+ 36.exd5+ Nxd5 37.Bd2 f5 38.b5 axb5+ 39.Kxb5 Kd6 40.a4 g5 41.a5 f4 42.Kc4 Nc7 43.Bb4+ Ke6 44.h3 h5 45.Bc5 e4 46.fxe4 g4 47.hxg4 hxg4 48.Kd3 Na6 49.Bd4 Nb4+ 50.Ke2 Na6 51.Kf2 Kd6 52.Kg2 Ke6 53.Kf2 Kd6 54.Kg2 Ke6 1/2-1/2

Round 3, Aug. 7, 2016
                          Svidler, Peter – Caruana, Fabiano
                          D56 QGD, Lasker Defence

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 d5 4.d4 Be7 5.Bg5 h6 6.Bh4 O-O 7.e3 Ne4 8.Bxe7 Qxe7 9.Rc1 c6 10.Bd3 Nxc3 11.Rxc3 dxc4 12.Bxc4 Nd7 13.O-O b6 14.Bd3 c5 15.Be4 Rb8 16.Qa4 Nf6 17.Bc6 cxd4 18.Nxd4 e5 19.Nf3 Rd8 20.h3 a6 21.Rfc1 b5 22.Qa5 Be6 23.Qxa6 Nd5 24.Bxd5 Bxd5 25.Rc7 Qb4 26.Qa3 Qxa3 27.bxa3 Bxf3 28.gxf3 Ra8 29.R7c5 Rxa3 30.Rxe5 Rxa2 31.Rxb5 Rdd2 32.Rf1 Rdb2 33.Re5 Rb6 34.f4 Rab2 35.Kg2 g6 36.h4 h5 37.f5 Kg7 38.fxg6 Rxg6+ 39.Kh3 Rf6 40.Rg1+ Rg6 41.Rf1 Rf6 42.f4 Re2 43.Kg3 Re6 44.Kf3 Rh2 1/2-1/2

Round 3, Aug. 7, 2016
                          Giri, Anish – Ding Liren
                          C84 Ruy Lopez, Closed

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.d3 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.a3 Na5 9.Ba2 c5 10.Nc3 Be6 11.Nh4 O-O 12.Nf5 Rc8 13.Bg5 Bxf5 14.exf5 Ne8 15.Be3 Bg5 16.Bd5 Bxe3 17.fxe3 Nf6 18.Qf3 Re8 19.b3 h6 20.Be4 c4 21.dxc4 Nxc4 22.bxc4 Rxc4 23.Bc6 Rxc3 24.Bxe8 Qxe8 25.Qb7 Ng4 26.f6 Nxf6 27.Qxa6 Qd7 28.Rab1 Rc5 29.a4 bxa4 30.Rb8+ Kh7 31.Rxf6 gxf6 32.Qa8 Qc6 33.Rh8+ Kg6 34.Qg8+ Kf5 35.Qxf7 Rxc2 36.Qh7+ Ke6 37.Qg8+ Kf5 38.Qh7+ Ke6 1/2-1/2

Standings After Round Three

1. Aronian 2.0/3
                          2. So 2.0/3
                          3. Anand 2.0/3
                          4. Topalov 2.0/3
                          5. Nakamura 1.5/3
                          6. Caruana 1.5/3
                          7. Ding Liren 1.5/3
                          8. MVL 1.0/3
                          9. Giri 1.0/3
                          10. Svidler 0.5/3

In Round Four, Svidler plays his most frequent opponent of the last month, as Black, MVL.

Other pairings are Aronian-Caruana, Nakamura-Topalov, Ding Liren-Anand and So-Giri.

Comment

Sinquefield Cup 2016

August 8, 2016

Round Four

I see that Jan Gustafsson is on the German channel. I am used to him and his German is clear, so that I could follow his commentary if it were necessary. During his commentary for Biel he mentioned he was going to watch The Lobster on Netflix and I want to know what he thought about it. It is a dystopian drama in the Greek Theatre of the Absurd that takes place in Ireland. Guidance is obviously needed here.

A couple of chat room comments are amusing:

- What's the name of Caruana's Defense vs Aronian's d4 opener?

- c5 looks like an invitation to some kind of benoni

- Ohhhh the Benoni, thanks Sana!

[Is the Benoni played that infrequently now? I can remember when there were books and books on that opening]

And this exchange:

- Are competitors allowed to speak to their opponents during the match? For instance could one tell his opponent "Good move!"

- It's not usual
                            _______

Aronian and Caruana talk to Maurice after drawing their game.

Levon said that he wasn’t feeling well – something that he ate or drunk last night. He knows it was cowardly but he had to make a draw.

Someone says, “Yasser’s seafood paella, perhaps?”

Fabiano says that he has tried to play the Benoni twenty times in the past but only had it accepted once, by Aronian in the Candidates. He says it is a terrible opening and amateurs shouldn’t play it. Then why does he? "I get bad positions in the QGD, how much worse can the Benoni be?"

The game he cites is in Round Five of the Moscow Candidates, March 16, 2016. It was a draw after 30 moves.
                            _______

All attention is on the game Nakamura-Topalov. Veselin has sacrificed his queen for bishop and rook.

Then, in response to a caller, Yasser tells two Botvinnik-Olympiad stories: For one Olympiad the team decided that Botvinnik was now too weak a player and left him off the team. Botvinnik complained to the Communist Party and they put him back on.

For another, Botvinnik told the team that they must play together and win as a team and not as a collection of individuals and then, turning to David Bronstein, “That means no King’s Gambits!”

I have heard the first story as Botvinnik not playing first board, which had been given to Paul Keres.

Yasser later on says that early in his chess career, he read the two volumes of Alekhine’s best games several times and that accelerated his chess learning. The second book that he read at least four times was Tal-Botvinnik, 1960 by Mikhail Tal.

(Andy Soltis) - This is simply the best book written about a world championship match by a contestant.
                            _______

Peter Svidler has drawn again and thanks Alexey Kuzman for his book on the opening (The Zaitsev System. Fresh Ideas and New Weapons for Black in the Ruy Lopez, New in Chess 2016). He may have seen an advance copy because it has yet to be published.

Peter says that without those initial two losses, his outlook would be much rosier. And in reply to Maurice’s question as to why there are suddenly so many drawn games, Peter says, “The playing field is now level since I have stopped losing”. The twinkle is back in his eye.

The Topalov-Nakamura game was the big topic during the analyses. As I said earlier, this was the sacrifice of a queen for bishop and rook.

One kibitzer wrote: Topa calls Naka’s play dubious and Naka uses the same term for Top's play.

Hikaru said that with Topalov, you aren’t sure if he is playing poker or chess – whether he is prepared or whether it is just bluff.

Giri said that So’s plan was slow equalization by trading off material. He makes fun of the draws by saying that they have been two beautiful days. Caruana is continuing his legacy of draws now that he can’t get them. He also warns that the day before the rest day, the players usually are desperate to finish quickly and draw. Tomorrow could be another day with split points.

The games:

Sinquefield Cup 2016
                            St. Louis Mo.
                            Round 4, Aug. 8, 2016
                            Aronian, Levon – Caruana, Fabiano
                            E10 Queen’s Pawn

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 c5 4.e3 a6 5.Nc3 d5 6.cxd5 exd5 7.g3 Nc6 8.Bg2 Bd6 9.dxc5 Bxc5 10.O-O O-O 11.Nd4 Nxd4 12.exd4 Ba7 13.Bg5 Be6 14.Rc1 Rc8 15.Bxf6 Qxf6 16.Nxd5 Bxd5 17.Bxd5 Rxc1 18.Qxc1 b5 19.Qc6 Bxd4 20.Qxf6 Bxf6 21.b3 Rd8 22.Rd1 Kf8 23.Kf1 a5 24.Bf3 Rxd1+ 25.Bxd1 Ke7 26.a4 bxa4 27.bxa4 Bc3 28.Bb3 Bb4 29.Ke2 Kf8 30.Bc4 1/2-1/2

Round 4, Aug. 8, 2016
                            Nakamura, Hikaru – Topalov, Veselin
                            D37 QGD Hastings Variation

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.Nc3 Be7 5.Bf4 O-O 6.Qc2 c5 7.dxc5 Na6 8.Rd1 Nxc5 9.cxd5 Nxd5 10.e4 Nxf4 11.Rxd8 Rxd8 12.Ne5 Bf6 13.Nb5 b6 14.b4 Bxe5 15.bxc5 a6 16.Nd6 bxc5 17.Nc4 Bd4 18.g3 Ng6 19.Be2 Bd7 20.O-O Bb5 21.Na5 Ne5 22.Rd1 Rab8 23.Kg2 Bxe2 24.Qxe2 Rb5 25.Nb3 h6 26.Rd2 Nc6 27.Qc4 e5 28.a4 Rb4 29.Qxa6 Rxb3 30.Qxc6 Ra3 31.Qa6 Rb8 32.a5 c4 33.Qxc4 Rxa5 34.Kh3 Rc5 35.Qe2 Rcb5 36.f4 Rb4 37.Qd1 Rb1 38.Qh5 R1b5 39.Qe2 Rb4 40.Qd1 Rb1 41.Qh5 R1b5 42.Qd1 1/2-1/2

Round 4, Aug. 8, 2016
                            Ding Liren – Anand, Vishy
                            D41 QGD, Semi-Tarrasch, Modern Line

1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.g3 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.Bg2 e6 7.O-O Be7 8.d4 O-O 9.Nxd5 exd5 10.dxc5 Bxc5 11.Bg5 Qd7 12.Rc1 Bb6 13.Bd2 Qe7 14.Bc3 Rd8 15.e3 Bf5 16.Re1 Be4 17.Re2 Rd7 18.Rd2 Rad8 19.Qe2 Rd6 20.Rcd1 h6 21.h4 Qe6 22.Nd4 Nxd4 23.Bxd4 Ba5 24.Bc3 Bxc3 25.bxc3 Bxg2 26.Kxg2 Rc8 27.Qf3 Rxc3 28.Rxd5 Rxd5 29.Rxd5 Rc8 30.Ra5 Qb6 31.Re5 Kf8 32.Qf5 Re8 33.Rxe8+ Kxe8 34.Qe5+ Kf8 35.Qb8+ Ke7 36.Qe5+ Kf8 1/2-1/2

Round 4, Aug. 8, 2016
                            So, Wesley – Giri, Anish
                            E11 Bogo-Indian Defence

1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 Nf6 3.c4 e6 4.g3 Bb4+ 5.Bd2 Be7 6.Bg2 O-O 7.O-O c6 8.Qc2 Nbd7 9.Rd1 b6 10.b3 a5 11.Bc3 Ne4 12.Bb2 f5 13.e3 Ba6 14.Ba3 Bxa3 15.Nxa3 b5 16.Rac1 Qe7 17.cxb5 cxb5 18.Nb1 b4 19.Qb2 Rfc8 20.Ne1 h5 21.Rxc8+ Rxc8 22.Rc1 Qd8 23.Bf1 Bxf1 24.Kxf1 h4 25.Rxc8 Qxc8 26.Qc2 Qxc2 27.Nxc2 hxg3 28.hxg3 g5 29.Ke2 Kf7 30.a3 bxa3 31.Nbxa3 Nc3+ 32.Kd2 Ne4+ 33.Ke2 Ndf6 34.b4 a4 35.Ne1 Ke7 36.Nd3 Nd7 37.Kd1 Nb6 38.Kc2 Nc4 39.Nxc4 dxc4 40.Nb2 Nxf2 41.Nxa4 Ne4 42.Nb6 c3 43.Na4 Nxg3 44.Kxc3 f4 1/2-1/2

Round 4, Aug. 8, 2016
                            Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime – Svidler, Peter
                            C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 O-O 9.h3 Re8 10.d4 Bb7 11.Nbd2 Bf8 12.d5 Nb8 13.Nf1 Nbd7 14.N3h2 c6 15.dxc6 Bxc6 16.Bg5 Qc7 17.Qf3 a5 18.Rad1 Qb7 19.Ng3 a4 20.Bc2 b4 21.Nf5 Re6 22.Bxf6 Nxf6 23.Ng4 Nxg4 24.hxg4 g6 25.Ne3 bxc3 26.bxc3 Bh6 27.Rb1 Qa7 28.Rb4 Bg5 29.Qe2 Ree8 30.Qd3 Red8 31.Nd5 Rab8 32.Reb1 a3 33.Nb6 Kg7 34.g3 Rb7 35.Kg2 1/2-1/2

Standings After Round Four

1. Aronian 2.5/4
                            2. So 2.5/4
                            3. Anand 2.5/4
                            4. Topalov 2.5/4
                            5. Nakamura 2.0/4
                            6. Caruana 2.0/4
                            7. Ding Liren 2.0/4
                            8. Vachier-Lagrave 1.5/4
                            9. Giri 1.5/4
                            10. Svidler 1.0/4
                            Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 10th August, 2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Sinquefield Cup 2016

August 9, 2016

Round Five

This is half way through the tournament, so to speak. Tomorrow is a free day and Yasser is asked what there is to see in St. Louis within walking distance of the Chess Hall of Fame. He says the world-famous St. Louis Zoo, which is free; the Botanical Garden, the Art Museum, the City Museum, old Union Station and the Gateway Arch. At some time the players are going to see a baseball game with the Cardinals at Busch Stadium. They are playing the Cincinnati Reds both today and tomorrow.
                              A note on the Botanical Garden - The so-called Corpse Flower is expected to bloom this week.

Maurice saw Anand, Giri, Robin and Eric at the gym last night, so he asks him about what exercise he does. He says “planking” for 1.5 minutes. I am informed that this is what it consists of:

You lie flat on the floor, then raise yourself on your tiptoes and elbows — keeping your forearms on the ground and your back flat, so you look like a coffee table. Then you hold that position for as long as you can.

It sounds vaguely like a yoga-type pursuit, which involves stamina and concentration. Perhaps the perfect exercise for the professional chess player?

Wesley So thinks that he will walk to the Zoo tomorrow. Maurice presents him with the new book Eugenio Torre by Tibor Karolyi, a book in the series of legendary chess careers. Wesley says that he is the player who has played in the most consecutive chess Olympiads (19), a legend of Philippine chess, who taught Wesley how to use computers to analyze chess and who showed him the importance of the endgame.

Torre was a close friend of Bobby Fischer and Eugenio’s Wikipedia entry gives this anecdote:

When Torre and Fischer boarded a taxi in Buenos Aires, the driver immediately recognized Torre as a chess player. As both were about to leave the taxi, the driver, not knowing who the other distinguished passenger was, asked Torre: "Whatever happened to that crazy guy Fischer?"
                              ________

For a time, it looked like White was better in most games but in the end, only one game was not a draw. Anish Giri, to get himself out of the rut of draws was forced to work out in the gym. As he explained it “Desperate times call for desperate measures”.

Levon Aronian looked none the worse for his food poisoning yesterday. He said that he had so many short games to conserve energy that now he has energy to spare. Maurice said the public values the fact that chess players exercise. Aronian laughed and replied, “And chess players value the fact that the public thinks they value exercise!”

Fabiano said that has been experiencing some time trouble in the endings because he has had very difficult decisions to make in the opening.

MVL is finding things are not going his way. He will use the rest day to just sleep and try to overcome his jetlag. But of course, he does have to go to that baseball game.

Peter Svidler wanted to keep all the pieces on the board. He said that Hikaru made a number of moves he just couldn’t figure out and in the end he was the one looking for a forced draw. He is looking forward to the baseball too.

Topalov-Ding Liren was a fighting game; many called it a roller coaster game. Ding sacrificed a pawn in the opening for little gain. Topalov ground away like Carlsen hour after hour and finally Topalov won. The endgame will appear in all the magazines next month.

Thus, Veselin is the sole leader.

The games:

Sinquefield Cup 2016
                              St. Louis, Mo.
                              Round 5, Aug. 9, 2016
                              Anand, Vishy – So, Wesley
                              C50 Giuoco Piano

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.O-O Nf6 5.d3 O-O 6.c3 d5 7.exd5 Nxd5 8.a4 Nb6 9.Bb5 Ne7 10.a5 c6 11.axb6 cxb5 12.Rxa7 Rxa7 13.bxa7 Bxa7 14.Nxe5 Bf5 15.Re1 Bb8 16.Na3 b4 17.cxb4 Qd5 18.Nec4 Bxd3 19.Rxe7 Bxc4 20.Qxd5 Bxd5 21.Rd7 Bc6 22.Rd1 Ba4 23.Rd3 Bc7 24.b3 Bc6 25.f3 Rd8 26.Rxd8+ Bxd8 27.b5 Bd7 1/2-1/2

Round 5, Aug. 9, 2016
                              Topalov, Veselin – Ding Liren
                              C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 O-O 9.h3 Re8 10.d4 Bb7 11.Nbd2 Bf8 12.a3 h6 13.Bc2 Nb8 14.b3 Nbd7 15.Bb2 Rc8 16.a4 b4 17.cxb4 exd4 18.Bxd4 c5 19.bxc5 Nxc5 20.Qb1 a5 21.b4 axb4 22.Qxb4 Ba8 23.a5 d5 24.Bxf6 Qxf6 25.e5 Qa6 26.Qg4 Ne6 27.Bf5 Rc5 28.Bxe6 Rxe6 29.Nb3 Rc4 30.Nfd4 Bb7 31.Qf5 Re7 32.e6 Bc8 33.exf7+ Rxf7 34.Qxd5 Bb7 35.Qe6 Rb4 36.Re3 Qa8 37.Rc1 Bd5 38.Rc8 Bxe6 39.Rxa8 Bc4 40.Rc8 Kh7 41.Rc3 Ba6 42.Rd8 Ra4 43.Ne6 Bb4 44.Rc6 Bb5 45.Rc1 Ra2 46.f3 Ba4 47.Nbd4 Bxa5 48.Ra8 Bb6 49.Kh1 Bb3 50.Rb8 Bxe6 51.Rxb6 Bf5 52.Rd6 Bg6 53.Rd8 Bf5 54.Rd6 Bg6 55.Rc8 Rb7 56.Rdd8 Bd3 57.Ne6 Bf1 58.Nf8+ Kg8 59.Ng6+ Kh7 60.Nf8+ Kg8 61.Ne6+ Kh7 62.Rh8+ Kg6 63.Nf4+ Kg5 64.Rhf8 Rbb2 65.Rc7 g6 66.g3 1-0

Round 5, Aug. 9, 2016
                              Giri, Anish – Aronian, Levon
                              A29 English, Bremen, Reverse Dragon

1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 e5 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.g3 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.Bg2 Nb6 7.O-O Be7 8.Rb1 a5 9.d3 O-O 10.Be3 Be6 11.d4 exd4 12.Nxd4 Nxd4 13.Bxd4 c6 14.f4 f5 15.e4 Rf7 16.Bh3 Bb4 17.Bxf5 Bxf5 18.exf5 Nc4 19.Qd3 c5 20.Qxc4 Qxd4+ 21.Qxd4 cxd4 22.Ne4 Re8 23.a3 Rxe4 24.axb4 axb4 25.Rbe1 Rxe1 26.Rxe1 Rxf5 27.Rd1 Rc5 28.Rxd4 Rc1+ 29.Kg2 Rc2+ 30.Kh3 1/2-1/2

Round 5, Aug. 9, 2016
                              Caruana, Fabiano – Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime
                              B55 Sicilian, Prins Variation

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.f3 Nc6 6.Nc3 e5 7.Nb3 Be7 8.Be3 Be6 9.Nd5 Bxd5 10.exd5 Nb4 11.c4 a5 12.Be2 Na6 13.Nd2 O-O 14.Nb1 Nd7 15.Qd2 f5 16.Nc3 Bh4+ 17.g3 f4 18.Bf2 Bg5 19.Qc2 Nac5 20.Kf1 Qe8 21.Re1 e4 22.Bxc5 Nxc5 23.Nxe4 Nxe4 24.Bd3 fxg3 25.Bxe4 Qh5 26.Kg2 gxh2 27.Rxh2 Bh4 28.Bxh7+ Kh8 29.Be4 Rf4 30.Kh1 Qe5 31.Rg1 g5 32.Qc3 Qxc3 33.bxc3 Kg7 34.Rb1 Rf7 35.Rb6 Ra6 36.Rhb2 Rxb6 37.Rxb6 Bf2 38.Rxd6 Rf6 39.Rd8 Rf8 40.Rd6 Rf6 41.Rd8 Rf8 42.Rxf8 Kxf8 43.d6 Bc5 44.d7 Ke7 45.Bf5 Be3 46.Kg2 Bd2 47.Kf2 1/2-1/2

Round 5, Aug. 9, 2016
                              Svidler, Peter – Nakamura, Hikaru
                              E63 King’s Indian, Fianchetto, Panno System

1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 g6 3.Nf3 Bg7 4.g3 O-O 5.Bg2 d6 6.O-O Nc6 7.d4 a6 8.Re1 Rb8 9.Rb1 b5 10.cxb5 axb5 11.b4 e6 12.e4 Ne7 13.Bf4 h6 14.h3 Bb7 15.g4 g5 16.Bg3 Ng6 17.Nd2 Nd7 18.Nb3 Ba6 19.Na5 Rb6 20.a4 Nb8 21.axb5 Bxb5 22.Nxb5 Rxb5 23.Bf1 Rb6 24.b5 c6 25.Nc4 Rxb5 26.Rxb5 cxb5 27.Nxd6 b4 28.e5 Nc6 29.Bc4 Qb6 30.d5 Bxe5 31.Bxe5 Ncxe5 32.dxe6 fxe6 33.Bxe6+ Kh8 34.Bf5 b3 35.Qd5 b2 36.Rb1 Qc7 37.Bxg6 Qc1+ 38.Kg2 Nxg6 39.Qd4+ Kg8 40.Qd5+ Kh8 41.Qd4+ Kg8 1/2-1/2

Standings after Round Five

1. Topalov 3.5/5
                              2. Aronian 3.0/5
                              3. So 3.0/5
                              4. Anand 3.0/5
                              5. Nakamura 2.5/5
                              6. Caruana 2.5/5
                              7. MVL 2.0/5
                              8. Giri 2.0/5
                              9. Ding Liren 2.0/5
                              10. Svidler 1.5/5

Tomorrow is a rest day with these pairings the following day for Round Six:

Aronian-MVL, Nakamura-Caruana, Ding Liren-Svidler, So-Topalov and Giri-Anand.
                              Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 9th August, 2016, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X