Regular rated tournament in Toronto/GTA and surrounding area - Summer and Fall 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular rated tournament in Toronto/GTA and surrounding area - Summer and Fall 2016

Tournaments coming up next will be

1. Hamilton Open - Aug 27-28
    2. Labour Day - NONE
    3. Kitchener - Sep 24-25 ( if I am not mistaken )
    4. Aurora - Oct 1-2
    5. Thanksgiving - NONE again
    6. Guelph - end Oct or beginning Nov
    7. Hart House - before X-Mas ( still within fall )

Seems like there are slightly fewer tournaments than before.

Bryan Lamb's tournament - Easter / Labour and Thanksgiving day tournament has been out of the picture for awhile now.
    Mississauga and Campbelville are not likely as well this year unless something happen.

Total 5 tournaments out.....not really good for chess

Re: Regular rated tournament in Toronto/GTA and surrounding area - Summer and Fall 20

Hi Gary,

I do agree that not having the Labour Day is a huge loss for Toronto. Thanksgiving in comparison was normally a tough sell. Hart House did Easter earlier this year with a turn-out of 97 players, which is very sub-par for us. Bryan's trademark tournament was definitely Labour Day. He occasionally picked up the others because nobody else would, although a couple of years, they took place at Annex.

However, I don't think the picture is all that grim. If anymore tournaments around the GTA start popping up, the calendar will be pretty saturated. One time a different organizer asked me "Why don't you do a tournament at Hart House every month?" -- apart from logistics, my answer was in so many words that... individual tournament turn-outs would suffer greatly. Many people will all of a sudden be fed up with chess, or know that "oh if I miss this one, there's another one next month". Some years the GTA and SWOCL areas calendar was so saturated, that organizers would have to jump hoops to avoid conflicts, and there would be 3 tournaments a month.

I think the important thing is to maintain a tradition, and people will go to tournaments as they are looking forward to them, based on their past experiences. Guelph, Hamilton, Kitchener, Niagara Falls and more recently Hart House, Aurora, Annex ... have been developing traditions and people know what to expect. Some of us do 1 tournament, others do 3 or 4 a year. Kitchener was reduced to only Chess Festival for a couple years while substituting the long-time-control tournaments for rapids, but it's nice to be coming back.

Considering we don't have a proper circuit, coordinated by a larger organization, amateur chess is not doing so poorly.
    One challenge several existing and potential new organizers would face, is renting a site. Costs in and around Toronto are prohibitive, through there are still lots of options to be explored (ie community centres).

Hart House tournaments, mark your calendars:

Holidays Open: December 16-17-18 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) - 5 rounds
    Reading Week Open: February 18-19-20 (Saturday, Sunday, Monday) - 6 Rounds

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Working...
    X