X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joel Lautier

Joel Lautier

August 10, 2016

Joel Lautier (b. 1973) was born in Scarborough, Ont., of a French father and a Japanese mother. A grandmaster, he retired from chess ten years ago. He is a former president of the Association of Chess Professionals and is currently the CEO of RGG Capital, a company that specializes in Mergers and Acquisitions.

He has a plus score against Garry Kasparov – two wins against one from their ten encounters. He was one of the people instrumental in Kramnik winning the World Championships in 2000 against Kasparov by preparing the Berlin Wall.

He is smart and articulate and gives a good interview.

At the Candidates in Moscow, ChessBase feature writer, Sagar Shah introduced himself to Lautier and asked for an interview. The first part has just been published at the ChessBase site:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/a-schoo...-and-a-ceo-1-2

We have the happy union here of a first-class interviewer interviewing a first-class interviewee. Make a cup of coffee, relax in a comfortable armchair and enjoy the article.

I have excerpted three paragraphs to give you an idea of the material:

Sagar Shah: Joel, let’s start from the beginning. Tell us about your initial years in chess?

Joel Lautier: I started playing chess when I was three and a half years old. My father was the one who introduced me to the game. My mother taught me the moves but my father made me understand how to play. He was a pretty decent player – rated around 2200, which was a fairly rare thing in France at that time. France was not a particularly strong country chess wise. We didn’t have any grandmasters, not counting Spassky, only a couple of International Masters. I was playing chess at home in the initial years, not realizing the advantage that I had over other kids – I had a strong player in the house to practice with. I progressed quite quickly. My father gave me interesting puzzles and quizzes and kept me interested in the game.

I gradually managed to get a hold of good books on the endgame. The one by Smyslov and Levenfish on rook endgames is brilliant. Back then there was only one publishing house that was churning out the best chess books in English and that was Batsford. So whenever I had some money I would go and buy a chess book. My father was also assembling a pretty reasonable collection of books, including Russian chess books, and that was what got me really intrigued about the Russian language.

SS: And your connection with the Russian language didn’t end there, right?

JL: Not at all! All these books by famous Soviet players were lying in my father’s library but I couldn’t understand the language. I could play through the moves and variations, but what about the commentary? It was quite frustrating. At the age of 12 I decided that I should learn Russian! I organized a small class of Russian students in my school and asked my parents to speak with the head of the school. The Russian teacher had left the job and we needed six students to get her back. I managed to convince five other classmates who had absolutely no idea what they were doing in the Russian class! (laughs) So we got the Russian teacher back and I started learning Russian. After the first year half of the class dropped out and after the second year I was the only one left. But the school didn’t mind it anymore and I had private lessons in Russian for nearly three years! I was able to learn only the basics. Without practice you cannot really master a complicated language like Russian. From the age of 19 I started travelling to Russia, which was no longer the Soviet Union, because the borders had opened up. By that time I was above 2600 in rating and number one in France. The only person in France with whom it would have made sense to talk about chess was Boris Spassky, but he was already half retired. I had the experience of working with some Russian coaches. For example, Polugaevsky was a wonderful coach I must say. I also worked intermittently with Viktor Kortchnoi for several years in the early nineties, which also shaped my play and significantly deepened my understanding of several key openings in my repertoire. From 1992 onwards I started travelling to Russia on a regular basis. This is when I really picked up the language and made friends like Kramnik, Bareev, etc.

Re: Joel Lautier

Joel Lautier

August 16, 2016

The final part of the interview of Joel Lautier by Sagar Shah is now at the ChessBase website:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/a-schoo...-and-a-ceo-2-2

As before, a couple of excerpts.

Joel was Vladimir Kramnik’s second in 2000. This is how he described how he became part of the team:

Our serious training regime began with each other when he got the match against Garry. And I remember, the match was confirmed somewhere in March of 2000. We were both finishing the Amber tournament in Monaco. He said to me, "Look I am going to have this match. It's just been decided and I would like you to help me." Of course, I was happy to accept. It was a unique experience. And so there were three of us. Apart from me there was Miguel Illescas and Evgeny Bareev.

SS: Did you think at that time that the Berlin would be so popular even after 15 years?

JL: I had no idea this would happen! We thought it would be a good surprise weapon. Initially Vladimir stumbled upon it because he had a few criteria that he wanted to take into account for building his repertoire for the match. One of them was to play something that Garry had never played before. This would help to build some kind of a preparation advantage because the match was only a few months away. The other was to play something that didn't suit Garry's style. If possible it should suit Vladimir's. What sets Vladimir apart from others is that when he has a clear plan in mind he is very systematic. So he was really looking at every possible opening, because you don't think of the Berlin Defense naturally. I don't even remember what gave him the idea – maybe some game which he saw or someone played recently, maybe some blitz game. And he said let's take a look at it more seriously. Initially we didn't think this was a serious enough opening to play more than a couple of times. But then he dove into it deeper. It was also an interesting period because he had just come back from several training sessions with Dolmatov, who was a master of defence. Basically the training session taught him how to hold inferior positions. So, for him it was sort of a familiar territory in the match. For a normal player it is disgusting to play the Berlin Defence [laughs]. Unfortunately Vladimir appointed me as the person in charge of this defence. I had to suffer with that miserable opening for months!

SS: Tell us something about Vishy and what you think about him as a player.

JL: Vishy, he is an entire period of chess by himself! He has been incredibly consistent in all these years. I find that truly amazing. And he still manages that at an honourable age [laughs]. I think that's what is truly admirable about him. Without having a complicated character like Korchnoi, or without doing anything artificial he is able to maintain a very high level of play. I think he simply enjoys the process of playing chess, he still relishes the joy of the game, no matter how competitive it is.
    …..
    A second story (about Vishy Anand) took place a few years later, in 1992. Vishy was visiting Moscow, and Evgeny Bareev invited him to join us for a day, at one of our training camps in a Moscow suburb, out in the woods. When you put several grandmasters together in the same room, it often ends up in a blitz contest, and this time was no exception. Vishy was in brilliant form, and he beat the hell out of both Evgeny and me. I was no mean blitz player myself, so this was both a shock and a painful experience, which I still remember today. As Vishy saw our dispirited looks during the ensuing dinner, he said with a smile: “Don’t worry guys, what I did to you today in blitz, Chucky (Vassily Ivanchuk) normally does to me”. The funny thing is, I don’t think he was joking!

Reposted September 23, 2016

Comment

Working...
    X