The lost month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lost month

Good to see chesstalk back up. But we lost a month of posts! All the discussion of the chess olympiad - gone!

Re: The lost month

yup, after only one week of lost materials, now a complete month...

Larry, have you sold CT to demons? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      yup, after only one week of lost materials, now a complete month...

Larry, have you sold CT to demons? LOL
      I have no real information, but it looks like the posts database was restored from a backup... I believe this was done to remove a post (one of mine, actually) but since I didn't know that was being done, I reposted my item as soon as CT came back up...

I was then contacted and asked to remove the post - which I *did* by using my "admin" login to simply delete the thread where my reposted message appeared (that is what should have been done instead of restoring a backup or whatever techniques were used.

CT is now sort of running but the various optional thread views are not working (hybrid view) and a bunch of icons are missing and, as you and others have noted, some other threads are missing. Larry was/is on vacation and probably will deal with this when he returns... Anyone who knows more (or actually knows) can jump in and add to this note.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        I have no real information, but it looks like the posts database was restored from a backup... I believe this was done to remove a post (one of mine, actually) but since I didn't know that was being done, I reposted my item as soon as CT came back up...

I was then contacted and asked to remove the post - which I *did* by using my "admin" login to simply delete the thread where my reposted message appeared (that is what should have been done instead of restoring a backup or whatever techniques were used.

CT is now sort of running but the various optional thread views are not working (hybrid view) and a bunch of icons are missing and, as you and others have noted, some other threads are missing. Larry was/is on vacation and probably will deal with this when he returns... Anyone who knows more (or actually knows) can jump in and add to this note.
        Hi Kerry:

The only thing I remember seeing you re-post was one particular thread which I didn't think was out of line since it referenced mainstream news sources.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
          Hi Kerry:

The only thing I remember seeing you re-post was one particular thread which I didn't think was out of line since it referenced mainstream news sources.

Steve
          That is correct.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

From my perspective, many of the posts that are now gone were infected with a humongous phishing virus. I don't think it was a nasty one, but it took some careful work to clear out my computer. I am guessing that after quite a bit of down-time, the only way to clear the decks was to lose all those posts. I hope all users are checking very carefully so as not to re-infect??

After the recent discussion about archiving all the historical stuff, could this be divine intervention?
            Fred Harvey

Comment

Working...
            X