CFC Rules Question - Playing Via Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Rules Question - Playing Via Relay

As we begin to prepare for the annual Sudbury CH, an interesting question came up.

For those unfamiliar with Ontario's geography, the drive from Toronto to Sudbury is about 4 hours. I drive down south for tournaments all the time and it's not a big deal. On the other hand, the drive from Thunder Bay to Sudbury is 13ish hours. Needless to say we don't see each other... ever.

That said, I'm sure some of you remember me complaining that Thunder Bay is allowed to call their championship the "Northern Ontario Championship" when in reality their strongest player would only be #5 here in Sudbury, and yet we call our tournament the "Sudbury Championship" like normal civilized humans.

Okay so here's the question. It was suggested that perhaps a small group of Thunder Bay players (minimum 2) would play via internet relay to Sudbury. They would play at the same location in Thunder Bay and somebody in Sudbury would be responsible for playing their moves OTB. The players tied in by internet would agree to absorb all the risks associated with internet transmission, most notably the inability to see the clock at all times and the risk of disconnection.

Does the CFC have rules about this? If not, would the CFC be willing to consider a trial at the Sudbury Ch? I would be happy to prepare a more detailed proposal over the weekend, as long as I knew the CFC would seriously consider it in time for the Sudbury CH in November (I'd need to know by mid October).

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Re: CFC Rules Question - Playing Via Relay

In the CFC handbook http://chess.ca/handbook#section-4

"440. Rating Internet Games [Motion 2012-T Leblanc/McKim]

Events played over the internet may be submitted for CFC rating provided that:

i) Conditions of play are advertised ahead of the event and agreed to by all participants

ii) A non-playing TD must be present at each playing site to ensure that normal tournament regulations and playing conditions are upheld.

iii) Along with all the information that is usually sent to CFC, an event that has games played on the internet shall also provide the following information:

a) moves from games played over the internet

b) The names of TDs present at each site,

c) provide the website where the games took place.

d) provide the internet handles of the participants."

Comment

Working...
    X