Chess to Remember pairings and results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess to Remember pairings and results

136 players came to make this event even larger than last year. Because of that it has been quite hectic.

After one round, I have a little time to update. Please follow live games from the second round here:

http://homenetmentoronto.com/chess-t...ivechess/2016/

or follow on twitter #ChessToRemember hashtag

2nd round pairings and results to follow

Re: Chess to Remember pairings and results

Sorry for the lack of communication, but it has been quite busy here. I fully intended to post results, but time was working against me. I will post a comprehensive tournament report in the next day or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Gashgarian View Post
      Sorry for the lack of communication, but it has been quite busy here. I fully intended to post results, but time was working against me. I will post a comprehensive tournament report in the next day or so.
      Can you create PGNs of all games? Now only the last (?) round is accessible.

Comment

Good luck at getting PGN's of games from an "Active" tournament (unless DGT boards were supplied). Are players even obliged to record their moves? In FQE active events, keeping score is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          Good luck at getting PGN's of games from an "Active" tournament (unless DGT boards were supplied). Are players even obliged to record their moves? In FQE active events, keeping score is optional.
          Ups, no need for "all" LOL Just those what were online, and probably they all were top boards :)

Comment

136 players came to make this event even larger than last year.
            Good stuff, congrats!

Comment

On Sunday, the second annual "Chess to Remember" active tournament was held at the Armenian Community Centre of Toronto.
              Contrary to what I posted yesterday, there were a total of 127 players in the rated and non-rated sections.
              This year a permanent plaque was created to have on display at the centre.

In the Open section, Evgeny Bareev played strongly against all opposition and scored 5/5 to take first prize. This is the second win at this event for Evgeny. Joseph Bellissimo took clear second place with an undefeated 4/5.

In the U2100 section, Ranel Lauron held off Wenlen Yu in the final round to take the first prize with 5/5. This put Wenlu in a 3-way tie for second.

The U1600 section was won by Vadim Khachaturov with 5/5, ahead of Johnathan Zhao with 4.5

The Unrated section had a 2-way tie for first with 5/5 Gurgen Hakobyan and Jatinder Dhaliwal.
              See below for the entire prize list.

I have some thoughts and would like to fill in the results with some details.
              First, events of this size don't happen by themselves and the organizing committe put many hours of work and thought into making it come off smoothly.
              Thanks to:
              Aram Ettibaryan, Arto & Siran Hacherian, Stepan Tonakanian, Ari Keskinian, Vahe Magarian, Natalie Aghavelyan, Garni Tatikian and Varak Khachturian. Many other volunteers helped on the Sunday as well.
              Sponsors were also integral to ensuring the $3000 guaranteed prize fund (cash and medals). Thank you to all the sponsors, big and small:
              Artine Terzian of ATT Developers,
              Arto & Siranus Hacherian,
              Anto & Nadia Purutoglu,
              Chessagain.com
              Levon Gyulinyan, ReMax realtor
              Gem Lab and
              New-Tech Services.

The honourable, His Excellency Armen Yeganian, Armenian ambassador to Canada, came to see our event and spoke a few words about chess in Armenia and how proud he was to see so many diverse people at our event. This leads me to my impressions from yesterday. As a 3rd generation Armenian, that doesn't speak the language (something I want to address in retirement), this event helps me connect with my heritage and to help commemorate the genocide.
              At the opening ceremony, Karina Nagiar, from the Sara Corning Centre of Genocide Education gave a short speech to touch on some of the events that began over 100 years ago in Turkey. One of the more poignant moments of her speech for me was when she said
              "When the terms of the Genocide Convention were passed by the United Nations in 1948, the world said, "Never again." But the history of the twentieth century instead proved that "never again" became "again and again." The promise the United Nations made was broken, as again and again, genocides and other forms of mass murder killed more than all the international wars of the twentieth century combined.
              It is our collective duty to make sure the Armenian Genocide and other acts of genocide are remembered and condemned. In the words of the great George Santayana, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” Remembering the events of the past and paying tribute to those who perished will strengthen our resolve to prevent such events from ever happening again."

In my nearly 40 years of playing competitive events, I've met hundreds of different players with widely diverse backgrounds. Some I would like to call close friends, but mostly what we share is a love of chess. Conversations usually revolve around chess. Yesterday, I had many players that I know closely and casually, tell me that they were there for more than just the chess and the prizes. They came because this event has a purpose beyond the game itself. It helps to shine a light on areas that thrive in darkness and we need the light to prevent our 'tripping' into the darkness. It gave me quite a feeling of great pride and has given me a greater perspective and respect for my fellow chess players. For this, thank you all very much for making this event the success that it was. I look forward to next year's event.
              Thank you all who participated, whether through playing, parenting/driving, sponsoring, volunteering or organizing. Congratulations on a job well done.

Prize winners were:

HTML Code:
              Open Section	Prize Winner	Prize	Points
              1	Evgeny Bareev	$400	5
              2	Joseph Bellissimo	$250	4
              3rd-5th	Razvan Preotu	$157	3.5
              	Shiyam Thavandiram	$157	3.5
              	Yuanchen Zhang	$157	3.5
              HTML Code:
              U2100 Section			
              1	Ranel Lauron	$250	5
              2nd-4th	Wenlu Yu	$157	4
              	Benjamin Fradkin	$157	4
              	Sergey Noritsyn	$157	4
              5th-6th	Dorian Kang	$40	3
              	Nika Akophyan	$40	3
              HTML Code:
              U1600 Section			
              1	Vadim Khachaturov	$190	5
              2	Jonathan Zhao	$120	4.5
              3rd-8th	Arhant Washimkar	$37	4
              	Austin Xie	$37	4
              	Jeffery R Zhao	$37	4
              	Atharva Srinivas	$37	4
              	Edward Xiao	$37	4
              	Lucas Yunkun Lu	$37	4
              HTML Code:
              Unrated Section			
              1st-2nd	Gurgen Hakobyan	$40	5
              	Jatinder Dhaliwal	$40	5
              3rd-6th	Allan Sl Zhang	$5	4
              	Pierluigi Sanzani	$5	4
              	David Wang	$5	4
              	Matthew Baghdadlian	$5	4

Comment

Good morning Hugh:
                I'm trying to get an answer for you. The top 5 boards were broadcast live, but our IT guru, is now in Belgium. I'm waiting to hear from him whether the previous rounds' games were kept or not. I hope so, but make no promises right now.

Yes, there is no recording obligation in these actives.
                Thank you for doing the ground work for the national database--even though my games are conspicuously absent :)

Comment

Rob - you should have something like 61 games in CanBase. :-)

Comment

DGT games available--pgns to follow

Hello again Hugh. The games are now all here http://www.homenetmentoronto.com/che...remember/2016/. Choose "Top 5" option in the middle of the page.
                    The pgns will be available, but I'm not sure when.
                    Last edited by Rob Gashgarian; Tuesday, 27th September, 2016, 08:00 PM. Reason: malformed link and more detail

Comment

The complete results for all sectionscan be found here http://www.homenetmentoronto.com/che...hp?cnt=8&sub=4

Comment

PGN's now available online

The PGN's for all 5 DGT boards for all 5 rounds are now available online here http://homenetmentoronto.com/chess-to-remember/2016/

Comment

Re: PGN's now available online

Check out more pictures in this tournament link:

http://homenetmentoronto.com/chess-to-remember/2016/

Comment

Working...
                          X