• Show
Clear All

• Burlington Active Chess tourney Nov 19th 2016

Hi all,

Here are the details:

WHEN: Saturday, Nov 19th 2016
    Check-in and payment on Sat 9:00-9:45 am
    Registration on site after 9:45am may not be guaranteed first round pairing
    Rounds approx. start times: 10:00am, 11:15pm, Lunch, 1:30pm, 2:45pm, 4pm or ASAP

WHERE: Hilton Garden Inn Burlington
    985 Syscon Road, Burlington, ON, L7L 5S3

SECTIONS ELITE UNDER 2000 UNDER 1600 & UNRATED

PRIZES CASH CASH & TROPHIES TROPHIES

ENTRY FEE
    by NOV12th $50 $50 $50

CFC RATED YES YES YES
    Note: Can play up next section for $10 extra if within 100 rating points

TIME CONTROL: 30min SD

ORGANIZERS: Bob Gillanders (TD) and Gordon Gooding

BONUS: PREREGISTER BY NOV 12TH AND GET A FREE SOUP AND SANDWICH LUNCH ON SITE!
    Registration fee after Nov 12th is $60 and does not include free lunch
    Additional lunches for non-participants can be purchased in advance for $20 by Nov 12th

for preregistration and enquiries.

Re: Burlington Active Chess tourney Nov 19th 2016

Who doesnt like free food? I realize there are lots of other tourneys between now and Nov 19th but please dont forget about this one day active in Burlington.

Comment

Someone asked me what rating i would use. I said since this is an active tournament, I am using active ratings.

Comment

Just a few more weeks to the Burlington Active tourney, Nov 19th. Please remember the early bird registration lunch offer as stated above. Have a good one and play well. Active ratings will be used.

Comment

Count me in
          University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

You are in Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
              Here are the details:

TIME CONTROL: 30min SD
              Why the SD time control?

IMO they're a bad hold-over from the analog clock era.
              1. when both players are under 30 sec the games degenerate into whack-a-mole;
              2. they require the TDs and players to understand FIDE's "Appendix G. Quickplay Finishes" and the "normal means" clause.
                https://www.fide.com/component/handb...1&view=article

Why put anyone through that when you can just choose option 18 on the DGT North American clock (the blue one) and get 25min + 5 sec delay?

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                Why the SD time control?

IMO they're a bad hold-over from the analog clock era.
                1. when both players are under 30 sec the games degenerate into whack-a-mole;
                2. they require the TDs and players to understand FIDE's "Appendix G. Quickplay Finishes" and the "normal means" clause.
                  https://www.fide.com/component/handb...1&view=article

Why put anyone through that when you can just choose option 18 on the DGT North American clock (the blue one) and get 25min + 5 sec delay?
                Yes it is a little old school and it may make messy ends of games. Notice though the arbiter has the right to not use quickplay finishes rules by announcing at the start of the tourney. I wanted to keep a tighter schedule in the hopes of freeing up time for either, another chess tournament ! (BLitz) or having a lecture after the tourney. By the way, do you know anyone who is interested in doing a lecture at my tournament in the evening?

Comment

There is also the option of not getting into a whack a mole situation in the first place. Could it not be considered a little bit of a finesse in active play to be practical with your time and chess abilities. The cream rises to the top, most of the time :).

Comment

Eleven days before the free lunch offer expires for playing in the Burlington lunch active tournament, November 19th. Active ratings will be used.

Tick Tick, as the analog clocks would say.

Comment

Hi there, 8 days for the free lunch offer included in the entry fee to the Burlington Active Chess Tournament on November 19th. I might be selling off more of my chess books. Some players got a sweet deal at the hamilton tourney in August for some of my books. Who knows, you may get one too. Hope to see you then.

Comment

Hi all,

The entries are coming in but still just a reminder to register by this Saturday, Nov12th, for the Burlington Active chess tournament, Nov 19th, if you want to get a free lunch on game day at no extra charge. Notice how I was being redundant with 'free' and 'at no extra charge'. Pretty spiffy marketing right?! Okay maybe ?? in chess notation but I did get your attention! After Nov 12th, the entry is $60 and no lunch included, period. Time is ticking. I would like a shot at revenge for my stumblings at Guelph. Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
                          ... do you know anyone who is interested in doing a lecture at my tournament in the evening?
                          You might ask Razvan.
                          He's doing one this week in Toronto (with Micheal Song), so he'll have some practice.

...and I just happen to know that he has recently very carefully annotated 6 of his games from his successful summer run to the GM title.

Comment

Got three FMs registered to play so far. Free lunch offer slipping away.

Comment

Hi all. Three/ or is it four? Fide Masters and one Grandmaster have signed on to the Burlington Active Tournament. The free lunch offer expires tomorrow and I am working on another special offer for those who register before 12:00am Nov 13th. Want to know what it is? You will have to wait till about 8:30 tomorrow night to find out. But remember, this offer will also be gone Nov 13th onwards. Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X