Accepted ratings Differences and Similarities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepted ratings Differences and Similarities

The subject of the relative strength of different countries' rating systems came up as part of another post a few weeks back. While trolling through the 2009 US Open site I discovered the formula to be used for determining a player's strength and eligibility for prizes.

"Foreign player ratings: usually 100 points added to FIDE or FQE, 200+ added to most foreign national ratings, no points added to CFC. Highest of multiple ratings generally used."

Any thoughts on the fairness, or lack thereof, of this system?

Re: Accepted ratings Differences and Similarities

Hello,

In US (Miami 2007 & Dallas 2008), we (University of Toronto students) were added 50 points to our CFC ratings and these new ratings were mixed with their own for seeding purposes, at the Pan-American Intercollegiate Championships. December 2007 was about a year after the rating boon, and December 2008 was about 4-5 months after participation points came into effect, here in Canada. TD Jon Haskel in both events felt CFC ratings were deflated compared to USCF. Overall, our top players (~1900+) underperformed, whereas our class players surpassed expectations.

Alex Ferreira
    Last edited by Alex Ferreira; Monday, 8th June, 2009, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Streit View Post
      "Foreign player ratings: usually 100 points added to FIDE or FQE, 200+ added to most foreign national ratings, no points added to CFC. Highest of multiple ratings generally used."

Any thoughts on the fairness, or lack thereof, of this system?
      I once did comparison: CFC - FIDE for 2008 October lists. (http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=151).

Results:
      Code:
      Diff  +-deviation
      68.17	+-42.77 for >2200 CFC
      42.38	+-44.01 for 2200-2000 CFC
      -1.24	+-90.75 for <2000 CFC
      I.e., in average, Canadian players with CFC >2000 have higher rating than their FIDE. For <2000, it is very similar. Hoverer, the very large deviations mean that a conversion (+68 or +42) should not be used for particular cases.

For 2009 April listings, you may compare yourself: (http://members.chess.ca/index.php?op...=201&Itemid=26).

Comment

In my case, I started playing in chess tournaments with a 1600+ rating both here and in the US. As I grew stronger, my Canadian rating matched my increasing strength, eventually settling at my present CFC rating of 2137. In the States, however, my rating is 1995. There are several reasons for this disparity:

1) Playing in US rated events occurred quite infrequently so my USCF rating increased, but not fast enough to keep up with my increasing strength or CFC rating.
        2) Going to the US to play in a week-end event usually meant tiring conditions. My first US event involved a 9 hour drive in a Volkswagon, in a snowstorm, down to Hartford, Connecticut, sleeping in a strange bed, bathroom down the hall, YMCA, etc. Always under difficult circumstances with an aura of sleep deprivation.

My point being that playing in a foreign country :-) means a discrepancy in rating points, vis-a-vis strength, that is not solely about the two systems.
        Last edited by Howard Streit; Tuesday, 9th June, 2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X