Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Agenda for CFC voting member meeting Fall 2016 November 20 to 27

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
    If they are constructive criticism, they are most welcome. There are many issues not really right with CFC which I want to highlight and highlighted before. But to talk so much negativism about chess in general and attacking CFC President in such a way is such a shame.
    I am used to it and occasionally respond in my own snarky way. I will respond to criticism if it is valid or I feel like responding but the job of a director of the CFC is mostly thankless. You just have to do as good a job as is possible under the circumstances and with the resources available to you until you can't take it anymore and then you step aside.

If everyone has a more positive attitude towards chess and contribute to Chess in Canada, that will be awesome but somehow it is not. There are so many people being so negative about everything....

Just my view only
    The nattering nabobs of negativity we will have with us always. If someone shows that this is their only gear then the best response is to ignore them. They are unimportant. Answering them will only bog you down in more minutia and distract you from what you are trying to accomplish.

Comment

Seriously, if you have nothing good to say about chess and also CFC, I think it's better to keep you mouth shut.

So sorry to have people like this around the chess circle
      Gary,

Please don't waste your time and energy with PB. I stopped reading his posts long time ago.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fred McKim;109140]
        Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

We had charitable status at one time, but it was annulled by the Government of Canada.
        I believe that we could have fought on and perhaps reversed the decision but the cost of doing so was deemed more than the benefits of continuing to be a charity. Even when we were a charity we did not receive very many charitable donations. Being a charity also imposes certain costs on a corporation which can outweigh the benefits unless you have a significant flow of donations.

Being a charity probably would add $5000 a year to our costs. If we don't exceed that in fundraising by a significant margin then it is smarter to simply avoid the complications.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          Just check in with Vlad. I'm sure he's aware you are maintaining those sections
          Yes. I think I mentioned it from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
            So what parts are legal with Not For Profit rules? Right now.
            Maybe you can inform the members so we can read what has been changed.
            Can someone list those parts here?
            When I have six months to go over the issues line by line I will do so but all my other activities will have to come to a halt. The executive (directors) deal with and adjudicate all inconsistencies usually by looking at what the handbook says and then deciding how it applies to whatever situation that we have to come up with a response to.

Olympiad rules are okay because they have been largely rewritten by the voting members since the NFP continuation.

We need to do the same thing for everything else which is still relevant. I think CYCC rules can be kept as they are with a simple gathering of all relevant rules into a single section so that you don't have to read the entire handbook to understand all the rules that apply to the CYCC.

Some things are clearly not relevant any longer. For example, the section on smoking rules within the tournament hall is clearly dated. The laws do not allow smoking in public places anymore.

Comment

[QUOTE=Egidijus Zeromskis;109137]
              Originally posted by fred harvey View Post

What is a problem with the NFP designation for the CFC? It was the NFP before as well. It had a charitable status. Now itworks to become a "sport organization" to have a similar feature.
              The problem was that the law changed and we had to restructure in order to be compliant with the new law. Not for profits who chose not to comply went out of business on that day in October 2014. We chose to continue under the new law and we did so.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                Gary,

Please don't waste your time and energy with PB. I stopped reading his posts long time ago.

Yes, you can all go back to your safe make-believe world, and resume your own criticisms as to why nothing ever changes.
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                  Gary,

I just dont understand why do they have to be so negative and to discourage people in the forum. Stay away from the forum will be the best way. It's already not easy to encourage kids and adults to play more competitive chess and then you have these people who always say negative things but CANNOT come up with some solutions.

And then they thought they are the one who is genius !!! and others PLAIN STUPID !!!

OMG....Are they stupid or we stupid ?

Comment

Seriously, if you have nothing good to say about chess and also CFC, I think it's better to keep you mouth shut.

So sorry to have people like this around the chess circle
                    On the other side of the coin, Gary, I liked Paul's post because it's a good example of his trenchant wit and clearly sets out some of the most basic challenges facing organized chess.
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      [B] All is not well with chess: it is dying the slow death of a thousand cuts.
                      WCC: The most popular sporting event on in the world at that time:http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...-a7436211.html

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        WCC: The most popular sporting event on in the world at that time:http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...-a7436211.html

Bob A

"Hey, Mr. Trump, we got a live one here! He read a biased media article and believes every word of it!"

Really, Bob....didn't you learn ANYTHING from Trump's political rise?
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          "Hey, Mr. Trump, we got a live one here! He read a biased media article and believes every word of it!"

Really, Bob....didn't you learn ANYTHING from Trump's political rise?
                          Are there others who agree with Paul, that the "Independent" media source in the UK is unreliable, and has published here "a biased media article"? I have dealt already a couple of times with the issue of "unreliable media sources" on my personal FB account. It is a difficult factual question sometimes.

I am unsure whether there is any evidence that supports Paul's unilateral allegation. At least he has provided here no source for his allegation.

I would be open to hearing other credible evidence, beyond Paul's bald assertion, on either side of this issue.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Are there others who agree with Paul, that the "Independent" media source in the UK is unreliable, and has published here "a biased media article"? I have dealt already a couple of times with the issue of "unreliable media sources" on my personal FB account. It is a difficult factual question sometimes.

I am unsure whether there is any evidence that supports Paul's unilateral allegation. At least he has provided here no source for his allegation.

I would be open to hearing other credible evidence, beyond Paul's bald assertion, on either side of this issue.

Bob A

Speaking of "providing no source" and "bald assertion".... read the VERY FIRST PARAGRAPH of the article in question:

"Never mind football’s Champions League, the Test match cricket or the Formula 1 - the most exciting sporting event on the planet right now is the World
                            Chess Championship match in New York."

Now read through the rest of the article and see if you find any "source" for that.

It's the author's opinion, and that's all it is. And you, Bob Armstrong, are quoting it like it's fact.

There are 2 blatant assertions in that opening statement. First, that chess is a sporting event. That alone is a debate that will never end. Chess players believe it hook, line and sinker. Anyone outside of organized chess merely chuckles.

The second assertion is "most exciting". Not most POPULAR which is something that could be argued statistically for or against, but most EXCITING which is a non-deterministic quality subject to pure opinion.

And nothing from the author to back up either assertion.

Now..... you were saying, Bob?
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              The mess in the handbook is being addressed, finally, I believe. Once we have everything in there we will have to decide what to do with it. I am not entirely comfortable with the ambiguity of our current handbook which is clearly not NFP act compliant in large measure.
                              The CFC should really become an organization - with all records in organized folder. You write about imaginary offenses, however you most likely on the hook even now with not satisfying some clauses of the Act:

21 (1) A corporation shall prepare and maintain, at its registered office or at any other place in Canada designated by the directors, records containing
                              (a) the articles and the by-laws, and amendments to them, and a copy of any unanimous member agreement;
                              That should be the current "Handbook" (not the mess on the website + motions scattered over the forum)

(b) the minutes of meetings of members and any committee of members;
                              Do you have Olympiad selection meeting minutes? LOL A member can ask to see them.

Access to corporate records
                              22 (1) A member, a member’s personal representative and a creditor of a corporation may examine and, on payment of any reasonable fee, take extracts from the records referred to in paragraphs 21(1)(a) to (f) during the corporation’s usual business hours.

(3) A member of a corporation is entitled on request and free of charge to one copy of the articles and by-laws, any amendments to them, and any unanimous member agreement.
                              Would the CFC able to provide one within a reasonable time?

Form of records
                              26 (1) All registers and other records required by this Act to be prepared and maintained may be in any form, provided that the records are capable of being reproduced in intelligible written form within a reasonable time.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                                The CFC should really become an organization - with all records in organized folder. You write about imaginary offenses, however you most likely on the hook even now with not satisfying some clauses of the Act:

That should be the current "Handbook" (not the mess on the website + motions scattered over the forum)
                                It is not surprising when the critics on chesstalk betray a complete lack of understanding in their criticisms.

http://chess.ca/handbook

If someone want to see the articles and bylaws they need only look at the above link. The current articles and bylaws are contained in the first part of the above web page before the historical handbook.

Do you have Olympiad selection meeting minutes? LOL A member can ask to see them.
                                Olympiad selection meetings are confidential personnel meetings. They are also not member committee meetings. Not even I have access to the committee's deliberations.

Would the CFC able to provide one within a reasonable time?
                                http://chess.ca/handbook

How is one second for a reasonable time?
                                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 8th December, 2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X