• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 7 Most Amazing World Championship Moves

The 7 Most Amazing World Championship Moves

November 4, 2016

Writing under the above title Sam Copeland says:

In chess, the pinnacle of competition is the world championship. While inspiring chess moves have been unleashed in all manner of settings, there's something special about a brilliancy played in the world championship.

Here are seven moves that dazzled the world, and in some cases, altered the course of chess history.

https://www.chess.com/article/view/t...pionship-moves
    ________

The article should be read in its entirety. There is a full discussion of the combinations. I give the spectacular moves in the article and some suggested by online readers just to archive this piece of chess history:

7: 25...Qd3!! from Kramnik vs Leko 2004, Game 8

6: 18...a6!! from Spassky vs Petrosian 1966, Game 7

5: 11...Nh5!? from Fischer vs Spassky 1972, Game 3

4: 47.Ng2!! from Karpov vs Kasparov 1984, Game 9

3: 41.Nd7!! from Kasparov vs Karpov 1986, Game 22

2: 15.Nb3!! from Kasparov vs Anand 1995, Game 10

1: 21...Nf4!!? from Botvinnik vs Tal 1960, Game 6

Reader's Choice

- Being from the Netherlands, I'd like to remind you of Euwe-Alekhine 1935, Game 26, move 32. Ng5! But I am biased.

- Sorry, but what about Smyslov's 22...Bxa8, sacrificing the Queen, in Game 14 of his 1954 WC match against Botvirnnik?

- One more beauty...in Game 19 of their 1960 WC match (Tal-Botvinnik), the move 35.Bc7! by Tal was quite awesome...it killed Black's counterplea!

- I have one. Anand-Kramnik world championship match 2008. Vishy played 34.Ne3!! in Game 5 to win the game and go up 2-0 in the match.

- Kasparov, in his WC match against Karpov in 1990 in Game 20, the move 34.Qxh6+, sacrificing the Queen, was very exciting!
    _______

Any other favorite great moves from WCC matches?
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Friday, 4th November, 2016, 12:47 AM.

Re: The 7 Most Amazing World Championship Moves

Very good list.

I remember quite clearly 25...Qd3!! from Leko in 2004. I was watching the game live and back then, automated computer analysis wasn't contaminating our enjoyement of the games. So everyone thought that Leko had just been caught in a prepared variation. Turns out OTB work of the human mind could still trump home analysis with a computer.

If I remember correctly, Leko played 25...Qd3!! with 5 min. left on his clock, while Kramnik was still in his preparation and had taken something like 2 or 3 minutes to play the game up till then.

Comment

Curious. Why no amazing moves prior to 1960? Steintz, Lasker, Capablanca, Alekine didn't play any amazing moves in their championship matches?

Comment

8...d5! from Karpov - Kasparov, Game 16, Moscow 1985
        and a generation of youngsters started to play all kinds of Sicilian variations :-)

Comment

Working...
        X