WCC commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCC commentary

I very much enjoyed the commentary by Peter Svidler and Eric Hansen - very good rapport between the two and some very interesting ideas.

I have listened to some of Jan and Peter as well and I don't find that quite as good a combination.

I have not listened to any of Judit Polgar's commentary (nor any commentary other than that on chess24.com so I cannot comment on that, but I would imagine that Judit knows what she is talking about).

I must say I really enjoy Peter Svidler's wit and his command of English is remarkable and admirable.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: WCC commentary

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    I very much enjoyed the commentary by Peter Svidler and Eric Hansen - very good rapport between the two and some very interesting ideas.

I have listened to some of Jan and Peter as well and I don't find that quite as good a combination.

I have not listened to any of Judit Polgar's commentary (nor any commentary other than that on chess24.com so I cannot comment on that, but I would imagine that Judit knows what she is talking about).

I must say I really enjoy Peter Svidler's wit and his command of English is remarkable and admirable.
    Svidler goes way too fast for ordinary players to follow at all. It's as if he's speaking to and for, masters only.

Comment

Originally posted by David Bowers View Post
      Svidler goes way too fast for ordinary players to follow at all. It's as if he's speaking to and for, masters only.
      That is quite a valid point David. I am not sure how much benefit ordinary players (eg: beginners?) might get from the commentary in any case... I noticed when Jan and Peter were discusssing variations yesterday afternoon (9th game) Jan would even play through the variation showing the actual mate in many cases - at first I thought that was kind of silly but in light of your observation, it would be very useful for less skilled viewers. (caveat: I am not a skilled viewer) but I sometimes DO see a mate in 3. I nearly laughed out loud when Svidler said to Jan: you cannot move the Knight - it leads to mate in 7. Yikes.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Does anyone know how the "virtual reality" presentations are working out?

Comment

If Svidler moves to fast for some, the World Chess commentary is a curious blend of insightful observations from Polgar and other GMs and a bizarre attempt to popularize the broadcast with infantile observations from social media. I guess you can't please everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X