Cascla (K+|K'-), or (<<+|<<'-): Charbonneau vs Anand, Calvia Olympiad 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cascla (K+|K'-), or (<<+|<<'-): Charbonneau vs Anand, Calvia Olympiad 2006

The next Cascla is also illustrated by one of the most famous and dramatic games played by any Canadian.
    GM Pascal Charbonneau was on top board for Canada at the 2006 Calvia Olympiad, facing GM Viswanathan Anand, who had defeated him in the previous Olympiad. Pascal won an astonishing game with a beautiful tactical onslaught!

Cascla (K+|K'-), or (<<+|<<'-), White castles second on the Kingside, Black castles first on the Kingside, White wins.

Pascal Carbonneau vs Viswanathan Anand
    Calvia Olympiad 2006
    Sicilian, B44

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1417848

Re: Cascla (K+|K'-), or (&lt;&lt;+|&lt;&lt;'-): Charbonneau vs Anand, Calvia Olympiad 2006

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    The next Cascla is also illustrated by one of the most famous and dramatic games played by any Canadian.
    GM Pascal Charbonneau was on top board for Canada at the 2006 Calvia Olympiad, facing GM Viswanathan Anand, who had defeated him in the previous Olympiad. Pascal won an astonishing game with a beautiful tactical onslaught!

Cascla (K+|K'-), or (<<+|<<'-), White castles second on the Kingside, Black castles first on the Kingside, White wins.

Pascal Carbonneau vs Viswanathan Anand
    Calvia Olympiad 2006
    Sicilian, B44

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1417848
    The Olympiad was in Turin Italy in 2006.

Comment

Re: Cascla (K+|K'-), or (&lt;&lt;+|&lt;&lt;'-): Charbonneau vs Anand, Calvia Olympiad 2006

Am I the only one bemused by all this? Normally I wouldn't bother with it, but as it seems that it will become a staple of future chesstalk postings, I have to ask.

I am guessing that there is some hope of finding a correlation between castling patterns and results? Given that castling is but one of many possible moves, I think the chances are slight, which means that the whole exercise is an academic project of absolutely no value whatsoever!

Nothing wrong with academic exercises, but tell me if I'm out to lunch once more.....
      Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
        Am I the only one bemused by all this? Normally I wouldn't bother with it, but as it seems that it will become a staple of future chesstalk postings, I have to ask.

I am guessing that there is some hope of finding a correlation between castling patterns and results? Given that castling is but one of many possible moves, I think the chances are slight, which means that the whole exercise is an academic project of absolutely no value whatsoever!

Nothing wrong with academic exercises, but tell me if I'm out to lunch once more.....

I do agree that there are some properties of chess games that would be more influential to outcomes than castling. For example, occurrence for each side of doubled pawns, backward pawns, isolated pawns, and passed pawns. But those things all require one to actually PLAY OUT the moves of the pgn games and determine from the positions whether these things are present.

Whereas what Frank is proposing can be done manually, just by looking at the pgn gamescore. Will any patterns be found? I think nothing dramatic will be found, but some minor tendencies of individual players might be found. For example, it might be found that Anand has his worst results with Black when both sides castle Queenside. Nothing Earth-shattering, but for individual matches this information might be useful.

Although interesting question: in that Anand example I just gave, if you knew his worst results with Black were both sides castling Queenside, could you somehow make him castle Queenside (while castling Queenside yourself)? If you resorted on extreme measures to do so (i.e. advancing your Kingside pawns very early), that might actually backfire on you if it overrides the tendency.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post

I can think of some specific situations where this may prove useful. An example might be in a popular variation where both players have the ability to castle either side or not castle at all, say in the Classical French.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
          X