Cascla (N+|N-): Day vs Morovic Fernandez, Buenos Aires Olympiad 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cascla (N+|N-): Day vs Morovic Fernandez, Buenos Aires Olympiad 1978

Cascla (N+|N-): Neither side castles, White wins. Casclas for games where neither side castles are identical in the two alternate forms of notations I am using.

IM Lawrence Day was into his career's peak form years (1978-1982) when he met Chilean IM Ivan Morovic Fernandez in Buenos Aires. Day is known for his successful use of the King's Gambit, rarely seen among strong players in the modern era. Here, facing the Fischer Defence (3...d6), recommended by many as the best for Black, Day plays one of his most interesting new ideas in an old opening, sacrificing a piece in the early middlegame and dismantling Black's position in just 24 moves! :)

Lawrence Day vs Ivan Morovic Fernandez
    Buenos Aires Olympiad 1978
    King's Gambit, C34
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1037508

Re: Cascla (N+|N-): Day vs Morovic Fernandez, Buenos Aires Olympiad 1978

I admire Mr. Day and will look at this game. His article in EP in the early 90.s on the modern defence inspired me to give it a go. One of his games I keep returning to is Franzoni - Day, Luzern 1982. There is no commentary on this game, but I keep working out the ramifications of 27...Ra4 instead of 27...Ke7. This is an endgame study in playing a win.

Comment

Working...
    X