My 50 years of chess...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 50 years of chess...

December 26 was the 50th anniversary of my first rated game. It was in a Montreal Interscholastic event run by Dudley Ledain. I had White against S. Rapaport, and I won a Queen's Gambit in which he tried to hold onto the pawn. I then won three more games in a row , before losing three of my last four. S. Rapaport never played another tournament game.

At least three other players that played are still active (Leon Piasetski, Jerry Kobalenko, and Leo Williams). Joseph Katz was active within the last 15-20 years in Louisiana as was Robert Muskat in the UK. Unfortunately - several others are deceased. The tournament winner - Gabor Lantos - was of master strength by the age of 15 or 16. After getting an Engineering degree at McGill (and giving up chess after organizing the 1969 North America Intercollegiate - which McGill won), he switched to Medicine and as far as I know, is still a practicing MD in the Toronto area.

I run into others now and again on the street, and am still in contact with others via the Internet.

The players list can be found here - scroll over to the chess column on page 15 and zoom in.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

Re: My 50 years of chess...

Thanks Hugh for your many years contributing to the chess fiber of this country!

I started playing organized chess around 1969 and Hugh was already a staple of the chess scene in Montreal. With an IT background and working at McGill after graduating from that University, Hugh was in charge of the Quebec Chess Federation rating system for a number of years. He also compiled ratings for blitz tournaments for decades. He was recognized in 2008 as the Canadian Chess Volunteer of the year for his many contributions over the years. Today he maintains Canbase which is a compilation of games played by Canadians and has made a number of contributions to chess tournament prize funds. Thank you Hugh for being a big part of our chess community!

A very fine gentleman!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      Thanks Hugh for your many years contributing to the chess fiber of this country!

I started playing organized chess around 1969 and Hugh was already a staple of the chess scene in Montreal. With an IT background and working at McGill after graduating from that University, Hugh was in charge of the Quebec Chess Federation rating system for a number of years. He also compiled ratings for blitz tournaments for decades. He was recognized in 2008 as the Canadian Chess Volunteer of the year for his many contributions over the years. Today he maintains Canbase which is a compilation of games played by Canadians and has made a number of contributions to chess tournament prize funds. Thank you Hugh for being a big part of our chess community!

A very fine gentleman!

Larry
      People like Hugh Brodie are the unsung heroes of Chess in Canada. Thank You

Comment

Congrats Hugh!!

How many consecutive Canadian Open Chess Championships did you play in?

Comment

Congratulations Mr. Brodie!

Comment

I played in every Canadian Open from 1974 to 2002. I also played in those of 1968, 2005, and 2009.

Comment

Mr. Brodie, In your wild game Hugh Brodie vs Padjen Zdenko Saint John 1988, did your opponent resign after ...g5 or run out of time on the move? What was going to be your answer to his last move? In case you are wondering, I am always on the lookout for copy for our local production The Saint John Chess Player. I keep on pumping out end game studies but, this is the type of game that our readers love.

Comment

Bxh4 is simply winning. If ...gxh4, Rg1+ forces mate. Otherwise, I'm up a piece. He probably just resigned.

[Event "Saint John op"]
                [Site "Saint John CAN"]
                [Date "1988.01.30"]
                [Round "2"]
                [White "Brodie, Hugh"]
                [Black "Padjen, Zdenko"]
                [Result "1-0"]
                [ECO "C25"]
                [WhiteElo "2015"]
                [BlackElo "2085"]
                [PlyCount "44"]
                [EventDate "1988.01.30"]
                [EventType "swiss"]
                [EventRounds "5"]
                [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Bc5 3. Bc4 Ne7 4. Nf3 Ng6 5. d4 exd4 6. Nxd4 O-O 7. O-O d6 8.
                Be3 c6 9. Bb3 Qf6 10. f4 b5 11. Ncxb5 Ba6 12. Nc7 Bxf1 13. f5 Na6 14. Nxa8 Bxg2
                15. Kxg2 Nh4+ 16. Kh1 Rxa8 17. c3 Re8 18. Qg4 h5 19. Qxh5 Qe7 20. Bc2 Bxd4 21.
                Bxd4 c5 22. Bf2 g5 1-0

Comment

Time to publish a book :)

Comment

Mad props Hugh!

Have you styled any playing quirks along the way?

Comment

Thanks for the note. After 23.Bxh4 f6 it makes a good "White to play and mate" study. I see that you are a Montreal chess historian. Are you familiar with the Q sac game, DeSoyres vs. Pollock 1895 played in Montreal? Is there a site for the history of chess in Montreal?

Comment

John wrote:

DeSoyres vs. Pollock 1895 played in Montreal?
                        I'm not familiar with that game - I don't see it in any of the usual databases. Postal game, perhaps? What is your source?

My web page has Montreal chess history from 1911 to 1979: http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/history1x.htm

Comment

My original source is C.F.Stubb,s Saint John Globe Chess Column where the full game with some analysis is given. Also online: The British Chess Magazine 1895 Vol. 15 p.301 “The Rev. J. de Soyres, of St. John, N.B., recently paid one of his flying visits to this city, and spent the evening of May 14th at the Montreal Chess Club. Mr. de Soyres ….proposed to the writer to contest a Scotch gambit on the old lines, specially for publication in Mr. C. F. Stubb’s chess column …. the result was fortunately a very interesting game.” There follows a diagram with the critical position and Pollock’s analysis.
                          The game had to wait almost a hundred years to the day before De Soyres’ intuitive sacrifice of the queen was proven sound by local master Jonathan MacDonald in Chess Monthly, Saint John, 1995 May issue.
                          I was hoping that you would be able to tell me where in Montreal the chess club was located in 1895.

Comment

From Pollock Memories edited by Mrs. F.F. Rowland (Dublin 1899, reprinted by Moravian Publishing House)

[Event "Game"]
                            [Site "Montreal"]
                            [Date "1895.05.14"]
                            [Round "?"]
                            [White "de Soyres, John"]
                            [Black "Pollock, William Henry Kraus"]
                            [Result "0-1"]
                            [ECO "C44"]
                            [PlyCount "76"]
                            [EventDate "1895.05.14"]
                            [SourceTitle "Rowland #139"]
                            [SourceDate "2009.10.26"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Bc5 5. O-O d6 6. Ng5 Nh6 7. h3 Qe7 8. c3
                            Bd7 9. Bf4 O-O-O 10. Nd2 f6 11. Ngf3 g5 12. Bh2 dxc3 13. bxc3 g4 14. Nd4 Nxd4
                            15. cxd4 Bxd4 16. Rb1 gxh3 17. Qb3 Bb6 18. Bd5 hxg2 19. Rfc1 Ng4 20. Bg3 Ne5
                            21. Nc4 Kb8 22. a4 Nc6 23. a5 Nd4 24. axb6 Nxb3 25. bxc7+ Kxc7 26. Rxb3 Bc6 27.
                            Na5 Rb8 28. Nxc6 bxc6 29. Rxc6+ Kd7 30. Ra3 Rb7 31. Rc1 Rhb8 32. Bc6+ Kd8 33.
                            Rd3 Rb1 34. Rxb1 Rxb1+ 35. Kxg2 Kc7 36. Bd5 Rb4 37. Rc3+ Kb8 38. Rc6 Rb6 {
                            "and Black won after a few moves."} 0-1

Comment

Thanks and congratulations, Hugh, for all you have done, and continue to do, furthering the cause of chess in Canada!! :)

Comment

Working...
                              X