Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sandbagging

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
    In general, I think the problem of sandbagging is overstated - something to be aware of the possibility but not overly concerned with over reacting to that possibility.
    Thanks Roger, now that you mentioned it perhaps I am a bit overly concerned. This summer I want to organize a U1600 tournament with a substantial prize fund and I don't want to regret my effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Simple solution - no class prizes.
      Absolutely correct.

Comment

I don't really see sandbagging as a major issue. I mean, I'm sure some marginal cases happen - like a guy is 2150, then goes on a bad run for a few months and drops below 2000, then deliberately keeps his rating low, maybe by not playing tournaments for a while, to try to qualify for a class prize at the Canadian Open.

But guys deliberately shedding hundreds of points? It's not something I've seen in my years of playing chess. And logically speaking, it would be hundreds of hours of work to lose all those tournament games. It seems doubtful that anyone would put in that kind of effort for the potential payoff involved. Not to mention that it would be quite easy to detect - the tournament chess scene is a pretty tight-knit community, it wouldn't be so easy to fly under the radar. Maybe some tournament organizers out there will correct me, but for me I don't think it's a big concern.

Comment

I agree that it's likely not a big issue in our Canadian tournaments. Also, the players, in our internet age, help with the policing.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
            Is there a method of preventing sandbagging for CFC chess?

Perhaps one method might be by stating in the tournament advertisement that players must have played at least 5 CFC games in the past 12 months? And, no UNRs are eligible to win prize money?

Thanks in advance.
            Maybe cash for overall winners and future entry fees for class prizes with the winner having to play up next tournament

Comment

Working...
            X