Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Chess Title Category

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    Educate me, what is meant by "the left coast"? I believe Paul Bonham once lived in New England somewhere. I guess that's "left" if you are looking south. Or have I missed something, as usual.
    "Left coast" is a term applied to the US (and I suppose Canada and Mexico?) west coast because it is on the left side when viewing a map of N.America. Perhaps it also is meant to imply the inhabitants tend to be left-leaning in politics too (again, whatever that means). All news is fake.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      Wow, I nailed it! I predicted exactly this reaction from exactly this person...

...and so their reactions tell me I hit a sensitive nerve.
      Was this a part of your motivation? Or was your only motivation to be satirical?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
        I didn't find the first post funny, probably something crucial is missing from the satire, and its too long indeed..but I also don't find how it is offensive, perhaps the insults are camouflaged too well.
        The use of the word "midget" in Paul Bonham's original post is offensive. His post is insulting of the transgender community and the the aboriginal community.

You don't have to take my word for it, lets ask someone who suffers from the condition of dwarfism.

"To a person with dwarfism, the word “midget” can be as painful as someone using the R-word to describe a person with an intellectual disability. These words are derogatory because they label a group of individuals by their differences, typically in a negative light.

I am not my label. I’m a person who was born with achondroplasia. To call me a midget puts a label on me that denigrates my individual nature."

Kate Braun who writes about dwarfism

https://themighty.com/2016/04/why-mi...with-dwarfism/

Lets see some of these though:

"..and typical of the fake news of left wing websites which Paul Bonham is addicted to" - a shot at left wing websites
        Left wing snowflakes like Paul Bonham are in fact a majority of the dominant left wing media and are not protected under human rights legislation like people with dwarfism, those who are transgendered and those who are aboriginal are. His bashing of these minority groups through his misplaced and aggressive "satire" is appalling.

"Like most Paul Bonham posts it makes me reconsider my recent decision to remove him.." , "No one ever missed anything of importance by ignoring Paul Bonham." "Paul is simply that guy that tells off colour jokes in the most embarrassing manner possible and instantly causes everyone to regret that he was invited to the party."- personal insults with no evidence provided (the last one is an attempt at being funny too)
        "..typical of the racism of left wing elites as revealed in the Podesta emails.." As if Podesta is the only left wing person out there, chosen to represent them all
        "Bonham lives on the left coast where people still haven't got the memo about the norms of acceptable human discourse." Is that another joke, or I am missing some sacred knowledge about left coast people?

Comment

"The use of the word "midget" in Paul Bonham's original post is offensive. His post is insulting of the transgender community and the the aboriginal community."

Read Paul's post about this. He meant no harm to any of the communities you mention. You, however, used your keyboard to create personal insults.

"Left wing snowflakes like Paul Bonham are in fact a majority of the dominant left wing media"

Sounds like some more mud throwing..and, as often happens, you have an opinion (this time about left wing media), and state it as if its a fact without providing the readers anything to analyze.

Comment

"The use of the word "midget" in Paul Bonham's original post is offensive. His post is insulting of the transgender community and the the aboriginal community." - Vlad Drkulec

Read Paul's post about this. He meant no harm to any of the communities you mention. You, however, used your keyboard to create personal insults.

"Left wing snowflakes like Paul Bonham are in fact a majority of the dominant left wing media" - Vlad Drkulec

Sounds like some more mud throwing..and, as often happens, you have an opinion (this time about left wing media), and state it as if its a fact without providing the readers anything to analyze.

Nikolay, you are much more astute than the usual ChessTalk reader. I think Vlad Drkulec posts here because he knows (or thinks) he can pull the wool over everyone's eyes. His favorite targets are people who think left of the political center, especially if they believe in global warming caused partially by man's activities.

The word midget is in many English dictionaries and defines "unusually small person". Other words are synonyms, such as dwarf. The quote Vlad provided is from some hyper sensitive person named Kate Braun, and the quote included this statement: "To call me a midget puts a label on me that denigrates my individual nature."

I would tell Kate Braun to her face that the word "dwarf" also puts a label on her. I myself am called a "caucasian", that puts a label on me! It is all a totally superfluous and illogical argument. The word midget does not denigrate anything. Period. I am appreciative that someone on ChessTalk is intelligent enough to realize that, as you apparently are Nikolay.

So my first point on that is that I'm not going to pander to super-sensitive groups or individuals. I'm going to use the word midget if I want to. I could just use dwarf, but then I'd be succumbing to illogical arguments. So no, I will use midget. If a few individuals are insulted, I simply do not care.

My second point on this is that Vlad Drkulec doesn't care diddly about midgets. Nor transgenders. Nor Eskimos. He's yakking because he thinks he will look good to the ChessTalk community. Which maybe he will..... doesn't impress me a bit.

Let's just take transgenders as an example of Vlad's ridiculous "fake news" that I was "bashing" them. If you read my original post in this thread, I wrote NOTHING that was ABOUT transgenders. I simply used the word "transgender" as one of the nouns describing the new fictional category of chess title.

DOES THAT MEAN NO ONE CAN USE THE WORD TRANSGENDER IN ANY POST OR ARTICLE OR ESSAY OR.... IN ANY WRITTEN DOCUMENT AT ALL? Apparenty this is what Vlad Drkulec believes. Vlad Drkulec is appointing himself the overseer of all that is written, and no one should use the word "transgender" or that is bashing transgenders.

Having proved that point beyond a doubt, you can see that Vlad is not caring about logical truth. He is only caring about HIS OWN HYPERBOLE PASSING AS TRUTH. He has been doing that for years on this site. Good for you, Nikolay, for standing up to him. Not many do that.

The truth is that Vlad Drkulec is completely biased and simply believes he cannot be wrong in any of his biases. That is a very undesirable kind of person to have around children.

Now Vlad, this is to you: go ahead and sue me for those above 2 statements. I will, in a court of law, prove the second statement first. The law will agree with me that a biased person who ignores all facts and believes none of his or her biases can be wrong is undesirable to have around children. And then I will prove the second statement, that you are such a person. There is rich material here on this site that will back me up on that.

You will be embarrassed and humiliated. I look forward to it.

But I know you won't do it, because you prefer to make your hyperbole here on this site where there is no law and where you think most readers judge you favourably.

Brad Thomson asked if my motivation was to get the reaction I got from Vlad. I wrote the piece with one motivation -- the same motivation (aside from making money) that I believe drove Monty Python to do the two movies I mentioned in this thread, "Life of Brian" and "The Meaning of Life": to showcase how silly we humans can become.

It was only as I was completing it (it only took me 15 minutes to write the whole thing, in case anyone thought I spend hours on it) that I realized "someone is going to accuse me of racism" because of the references to albinos and Eskimos. And immediately when I thought who would be so stupid, I thought of Vlad Drkulec. And lo and behold, he surpassed even that, going on about transgenders and aboriginals (his term).

Well, I got news for Vlad Drkulec:

FOR SOME NATIVE PEOPLES, ABORIGINAL IS AN OFFENSIVE TERM!

"The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs (AMC) has been joined by Anishinabek of Ontario, representing 42 First Nations, in rejecting the name 'Aboriginal.'"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...nous-1.2784518

Vlad, you should be ashamed for BASHING the First Nation people of Canada! LOL!!!!

And by the way, news for Neil Frarey who critiques the use of the word Eskimo:

"You will notice that I use the term Eskimo in this blog. No, it’s not because I’m an insensitive jerk who prefers to use derogatory terms for people. It is because in Alaska, where I grew up and where the languages that fascinate me reside, Inuit is not preferred over Eskimo. In Canada, the term Inuit is preferred over Eskimo, which is considered offensive. What many people do not know is that using the term Inuit as a blanket term for all arctic people in Alaska is offensive – the opposite of the situation in Canada."

https://tulugaq.wordpress.com/inuit-vs-eskimo/

Any other mental midgets want to take me on? (Oh, the irony -- I used the word "midget" again!!!!)

Kudos to Nikolay Noritsyn who has the balls to speak up against Vlad's histrionics.

As anyone with a brain can see, this nonsense can be taken to extremes and this is exactly what is happening. To any one or any group who decides that a certain non-pejorative term is offensive to you, I have this to say:

I DON'T GIVE A SHIT!
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Brad Thomson asked if my motivation was to get the reaction I got from Vlad. I wrote the piece with one motivation -- the same motivation (aside from making money) that I believe drove Monty Python to do the two movies I mentioned in this thread, "Life of Brian" and "The Meaning of Life": to showcase how silly we humans can become.

It was only as I was completing it (it only took me 15 minutes to write the whole thing, in case anyone thought I spend hours on it) that I realized "someone is going to accuse me of racism" because of the references to albinos and Eskimos. And immediately when I thought who would be so stupid, I thought of Vlad Drkulec. And lo and behold, he surpassed even that, going on about transgenders and aboriginals (his term).
              Paul, I believe I have called you an idiot, an imbecile and a moron. But I have never said that I thought you were stupid. In fact, you strike me as a fairly intelligent fellow. And it is for this reason that I do not believe you when you say you only realized AFTER beginning to write your satire that someone might accuse you of racism. Only a very stupid person would fail to realize this in advance, and you are not that stupid. No, Paul, it is clear you knew in advance what to expect, and it is clear that this was your motivation in the first place.

So, I am now calling you a LIAR.

I shall never read one of your posts again, I think that you should be permanently banned from this board, and I am astonished that you have been allowed to continue this long.

Comment

I'm right handed, so I stopped reading at 'left handed'.

Comment

I didn't find the first post funny, probably something crucial is missing from the satire, and its too long indeed..but I also don't find how it is offensive, perhaps the insults are camouflaged too well.
                  I am mentioned in the satire. This is because I think it is wrong to tell someone they cannot play in a chess tournament simply because they are female, or male. I believe that males and females are equally capable of playing chess, therefore, to me a tournament is sexist if it excludes people based solely upon gender. Sexism, in my view, is wrong.

Now, this satire suggests a tournament where Asians are excluded, where Blacks are excluded, where Jews are excluded, where Caucasians are excluded, and so on. This satire suggests a chess tournament where they will tell you that you cannot play because of your race. This is racism.

Therefore, it is easy to see how this satire could be offensive to some.

But, Nikolay, all of us who have followed the author of this satire on this board know full well that his intent was not just satire. It is clear by the author's further discussion on this thread that he is actually delighted that he was able to provoke an emotional response out of others. He even goes so far as to pat himself on the back!

I agree with you fully that the proper response is to simply ignore the author, rather than to throw insults back at him. This only fuels his compulsion. All of us need to utterly ignore this author if the board administrators are not willing to take care of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                    ... Now, this satire suggests a tournament where Asians are excluded, where Blacks are excluded, where Jews are excluded, where Caucasians are excluded, and so on. This satire suggests a chess tournament where they will tell you that you cannot play because of your race. This is racism.

Therefore, it is easy to see how this satire could be offensive to some.
                    And what you just wrote is a diatribe against free speech. Are we to suppose that the political party that you were affiliated with is against free speech? That if elected into power, the leader of that party will legislate against anyone ever writing any article, play, TV script, movie script, etc. where it is portrayed that some group or other is being excluded from something?

All of this only makes the satire of my piece MORE TELLING. This stuff is real, folks. There are actually thought police wannabes out there, running for office even.

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                    But, Nikolay, all of us who have followed the author of this satire on this board know full well that his intent was not just satire. It is clear by the author's further discussion on this thread that he is actually delighted that he was able to provoke an emotional response out of others. He even goes so far as to pat himself on the back!

I agree with you fully that the proper response is to simply ignore the author, rather than to throw insults back at him. This only fuels his compulsion. All of us need to utterly ignore this author if the board administrators are not willing to take care of the problem.

Anyone who writes anything (other than announcements) on this board is trying to provoke responses from others. And one could argue that all such responses are emotional to varying degrees. The response that Vlad Drkulec provided was fueled purely by emotion, with no regard to logic or any kind of critical thinking. And I did predict that would happen, because I have very good understanding of human psychology especially pertaining to individuals such as Vlad Drkulec.

And you, Brad, have chosen elsewhere in this thread to call me a liar because you didn't like my version of events, which is that I wrote the piece to be a satire and only realized as I was nearing the end of it that Vlad Drkulec would give the reaction he gave. That is YOUR emotional response. You have no evidence to go on, you have only your biases. You can believe what you like, I'm totally unconcerned. I know better than anyone what happened, and it was just as I described.

Sure, everyone could ignore me. There is a LOT of opinion going back and forth on this board, and anyone can ignore anyone. It is your opinion, Brad, that chess tournaments that exclude men are sexist and thus "wrong" (I'm supposing you mean morally wrong). This is an extension of your "thought police" mentality which makes you want to govern and dictate ethics to everyone around you.

Peter McKillop showed you (by providing definitions for sexism and for discrimination) the error of your thinking, but you choose to continue on with your beliefs -- EVEN THOUGH YOU STATED MEN ARE NOT BEING HARMED IN ANY WAY BY BEING EXCLUDED FROM SUCH TOURNAMENTS! Which means, by the definitions Peter provided, that there is no discrimination, which further means there is no sexism. You contradicted yourself without even realizing it.

But you go on believing what you want to believe. And so it is possible that everyone on this board COULD decide to ignore YOU, for being so.... (fill in the blank).
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

"The use of the word "midget" in Paul Bonham's original post is offensive. His post is insulting of the transgender community and the the aboriginal community."

"Left wing snowflakes like Paul Bonham are in fact a majority of the dominant left wing media"

Bonham used my name in a racist and discriminatory post and pretended that the Chess Federation of Canada and myself was an author of discrimination. You don't get to decide what Bonham's intent was. You also don't get to decide whether I should be outraged by racist and discriminatory statements particularly those which mention me by name and pretend that I was an author of that discriminatory behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        Bonham used my name in a racist and discriminatory post and pretended that the Chess Federation of Canada and myself was an author of discrimination. You don't get to decide what Bonham's intent was. You also don't get to decide whether I should be outraged by racist and discriminatory statements particularly those which mention me by name and pretend that I was an author of that discriminatory behaviour.

You just keep digging yourself in deeper!

Now you are claiming that a chess title awarded only to left-handed transgender albino Eskimo midgets would be discrimination. Well then.... such a title awarded only to women is discrimination. And since the CFC is affiliated with FIDE and FIDE is discriminatory, the CFC is discriminatory and sexist.

This should be reported to the Ontario Human Rights Commission. Brad Thomson, would you like to do the honors?
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I regret the decision to remove Paul Bonham from my ignore list. No wisdom was ever uttered by Paul Bonham. Henceforth I will read Paul Bonham only in the quotes of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            I regret the decision to remove Paul Bonham from my ignore list. No wisdom was ever uttered by Paul Bonham. Henceforth I will read Paul Bonham only in the quotes of others.
                            "Many people recommend you simply ignore trolls and don’t respond in any way, but this gives the trolls even more power as it gives them the power to silence you. Instead, ignore the troll but address the problem with the “audience” in a matter of fact way. Do NOT respond in a manner that stoops to the troll’s level or you risk two outcomes: 1) Feeding the troll and engaging in an unwinnable argument that will escalate, or 2) having the “audience” see you as another irritant/troll rather than as the balanced, decent and aggrieved party. "

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                              "Many people recommend you simply ignore trolls and don’t respond in any way, but this gives the trolls even more power as it gives them the power to silence you. Instead, ignore the troll but address the problem with the “audience” in a matter of fact way. Do NOT respond in a manner that stoops to the troll’s level or you risk two outcomes: 1) Feeding the troll and engaging in an unwinnable argument that will escalate, or 2) having the “audience” see you as another irritant/troll rather than as the balanced, decent and aggrieved party. "
                              Good advice Rene.

Comment

And what you just wrote is a diatribe against free speech. Are we to suppose that the political party that you were affiliated with is against free speech? ...
                                If the Milo Yiannopoulos tour of universities in the states is anything to go by, there is plenty of censorship against free speech to go around.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/14/us/mil...eech-canceled/
                                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X