Battle of Alberta - 1955?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Alberta - 1955?

I was browsing through the August 1955 issue of "Chess Review", and looked at their regular summary of Canadian events. I spotted this:

"The annual duel between Calgary and Edmonton at Red Deer was won by Edmonton with 8 1/2 - 6 1/2. The winning team thus took the Birks Trophy for the second straight year".

Has this match been run continuously since then? Is the Birks Trophy still around?

("Chess Review" seems to be a good historical source for Canadian events. This particular issue summarizes the Sarnia "Y" CC championship (won by Phil Haley, and the Frank Anderson trophy), Ontario team championship, Toronto "rapid transit" finals, a "major tournament" in Toronto at Ukrainian Hall, Toronto Chess League team event, Montreal city championship, etc.)

Re: Battle of Alberta - 1955?

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    I was browsing through the August 1955 issue of "Chess Review", and looked at their regular summary of Canadian events. I spotted this:

"The annual duel between Calgary and Edmonton at Red Deer was won by Edmonton with 8 1/2 - 6 1/2. The winning team thus took the Birks Trophy for the second straight year".

Has this match been run continuously since then? Is the Birks Trophy still around?

("Chess Review" seems to be a good historical source for Canadian events. This particular issue summarizes the Sarnia "Y" CC championship (won by Phil Haley, and the Frank Anderson trophy), Ontario team championship, Toronto "rapid transit" finals, a "major tournament" in Toronto at Ukrainian Hall, Toronto Chess League team event, Montreal city championship, etc.)
    Not sure about the history of that time, I know that it was not running for a while, but it was revived in the 1990s we have a permanent trophy that goes to the winning side with all the winners names. Some of that is available on the ACA website under 'history'.

Comment

Working...
    X