Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knightfall Chess Association??

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
    Sounds like one of the Nigerian "send me money" scripts. I recall a saying we used to use in High School, "BS baffles brains!" Yes, a LOOONNNNNNGGGGG time ago!

Send an e-mail to the address on the CFC file for the name you have been given and see if it is really him!!
    LMAO - Bob, I could use $500 - can you send me the money? I would like to start running CFC events but I just need a little seed capital to get going. I promise, promise, promise, with Neil Frarey as my witness that I will repay your money just as soon as little billy gets over his latest operation.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

humility precedes greatness

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
      I'll cut this guy some slack.

Hope he does well, makes a solid contribution to organized chess in Canada.
      Exactly. Perhaps they're idiots, perhaps they're scam artists, but perhaps not. Let's not be smug assholes, be cautious of course, but it's stupid to disdain the promotion of chess when we're not able to do a complete job ourselves. The unpleasant truth is that we need the help wherever we can get it.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: humility precedes greatness

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
        Exactly. Perhaps they're idiots, perhaps they're scam artists, but perhaps not. Let's not be smug assholes, be cautious of course, but it's stupid to disdain the promotion of chess when we're not able to do a complete job ourselves. The unpleasant truth is that we need the help wherever we can get it.
        Are you serious about this? What do we have here..scamming, lying, assuming identity of other people. There was plenty of evidence. I do wonder how many people paid an entry fee and wont get their money back. This is a crime, criminals..lets support real organizers.

Comment

Okay, I just got home, and an email was waiting for me.
          They will be contacting registered players with new arrangements.
          I find their website has been updated as such:

Bobby Fischer Memorial Open -------- March 12, 2017
          This tournament will be held on sunday March 12, 2017. This event will be held at the Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre (to be finalized tomorrow). There is a 160 (90% confirmed) person limit on this tournament, We are no longer accepting anymore registrations. However you can still sign up for our newsletter and we will analyze the data to rent out venues near you to hosts events there. Apologizes for the people who are not able to come to this tournament.

http://knightfallchess.com/events
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 2nd March, 2017, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Definitely sounds like a scam, or my understanding is way off on that one.

Comment

Why would anyone go to this tournament? It sounds like they are taking different information from already posted tournaments and creating a scam.
              Kitchener March 11-12 is a far better venue to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                Why would anyone go to this tournament? It sounds like they are taking different information from already posted tournaments and creating a scam.
                Kitchener March 11-12 is a far better venue to attend.
                I would suggest anyone who has paid their entry fee to Knightfall but would prefer to play in Kitchener, request a refund.
                If you do, please send me an email and tell me if you were successful.

IMHO, changing the date should be reason enough for a full refund, no excuses.

Seriously, I want to hear from players. I am trying to get a read on these new organizers, can we trust them or not.
                Feedback please, good or bad.

My recommendation remains unchanged: At this time, do NOT send them any money.
                Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 2nd March, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I'm just getting ready to advertise my next event... $1,000,000 prize fund, free champagne, and a free Maserati to all players over 18. Sponsors to be named later. To reserve your place, please send a $100 cheque made out to the "John Coleman retirement fund", P.O.Box 911, Cancun, Mexico.

Comment

Kick 'em when they're down!

Bob's advice is sensible. Don't send them any money, find out the facts, if they're simply bumbling so-and-so's then push them in the right direction, &tc., &tc.. If they've got a brain between the lot of them, then they have to know that they're now under serious scrutiny and better get their "ducks in a row".

Mind you, I understand that many people, chess players included, get immense schadenfreude from kicking others when they're down. Don't let me stand in your way! :)
                    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                      I'm just getting ready to advertise my next event... $1,000,000 prize fund, free champagne, and a free Maserati to all players over 18. Sponsors to be named later. To reserve your place, please send a $100 cheque made out to the "John Coleman retirement fund", P.O.Box 911, Cancun, Mexico.
                      Will you take a post dated cheque?

Comment

Sounds exciting. It would be great if you could get the CFC to advertise this for you.

Comment

Re: Kick 'em when they're down!

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                          Bob's advice is sensible. Don't send them any money, find out the facts, if they're simply bumbling so-and-so's then push them in the right direction, &tc., &tc.. If they've got a brain between the lot of them, then they have to know that they're now under serious scrutiny and better get their "ducks in a row".

Mind you, I understand that many people, chess players included, get immense schadenfreude from kicking others when they're down. Don't let me stand in your way! :)
                          I see he has now posted the rental contract for the new site on his website. making progress?
                          I would like to hear from members who are either planning to attend on the new date, or from those who have asked for a refund.
                          Please send email to info@chess.ca

I repeat my recommendation: Do NOT send any money in advance.
                          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 2nd March, 2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

John, how big is your prize fund?????
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

Just helping you advertise :)

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                              Sounds exciting. It would be great if you could get the CFC to advertise this for you.
                              As I understand the new thinking, false news is as real as true news. So I can get as excited about a non-tournament (Not going to happen), as I can about a "Tournament" (A future fact - a tournament that will happen). So therefore, for the promoter of the non-tournament, the goal is to figure out how to get my non-true excitement to morph into "true money".

There you go John - the path is all mapped out for you!

Bob A

Comment

Here's some fake news that's up on chess.ca for a long time now:

The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC), founded in 1872...

Comment

Working...
                                X