Impact of Internet on Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact of Internet on Chess

I came across this article from Australia on how the internet is having a positive impact on board games, chess in particular.

http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-li...0615-c8xb.html

I recall considerable debate within the chess community that the internet is spelling the death of over-the-board chess. Given the considerable interest I had at WESTFEST Chess-in-the-Street this weekend, and this article, I am wondering if the contrary is true, and, that we as a chess community, haven't yet figured to capitalize on this positive impact. I had numerous people comment to me during WESTFEST, that they learned how to play chess on the internet and never had experienced OTB chess. One gentleman I played, remarked upon how it was a completely different experience and much more satisfying. Also, it was very gratifying to see several of these OTB-newbies hang around for several hours, playing with anyone who would sit down.

I'm just wondering what people's opinion is on this issue of OTB chess and the internet. I believe it is having a positive impact, we just don't know how to capitalize on it.

Re: Impact of Internet on Chess

i absolutely love playing chess on the internet.

if there was a "engine-free" way to implement it, i would play CFC rated games every weekend from the comfort of my home. in the early 2000s they had CFC rated active games on ICC and it was great! living in a rural community, no long drives and hotel to pay for...

Comment

I love playing chess on the internet. Living in a small town has its disadvantages, but online I can play with people around the world. Its cheaper too! :)

Comment

Just want to share some chess internet sites where we can play chess absolutely FREE!

They offers great graphical user interfaces (GUI).

Here are my 2 Top Choices:

1) http://www.chesscube.com/

Aside from an excellent GUI, they also offer free lectures and videos and International Rooms like "Canadian Room".

2) http://www.freechess.org/

Create just ONE ACCOUNT from this site and you can use this account to play using different GUI (click on "Download" tab)

http://www.freechess.org/cgi-bin/Dow..._Interface.cgi.

I personally prefer Babachess as my choice of GUI because of flexibility.

3) Please share what you know so that I could also try and might see your there in the future.

Thank You!

:);)

Comment

We can capitilize on the internet explosion of chess but we have to organize the interested players - see post above: "Outdoor Tables Key to Promotion of Playing Tournament Chess."

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            We can capitilize on the internet explosion of chess but we have to organize the interested players - see post above: "Outdoor Tables Key to Promotion of Playing Tournament Chess."
            I would definitely agree with the Post above regarding this matter of promoting chess in the community. I would like to see tables similar to those ones outside Kitchener City Hall. Hopefully to see tables too in Mississauga and surrounding areas. In Toronto, I saw tables at the intersection of Church and Queen Street just in front of a church.

How i wish I could spend my free time in a place like this!

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/search/label/SPICE

Thanks!:)
            Last edited by Ferdinand Supsup; Thursday, 18th June, 2009, 08:12 AM. Reason: Add in

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
              I would definitely agree with the Post above regarding this matter of promoting chess in the community. I would like to see tables similar to those ones outside Kitchener City Hall. Hopefully to see tables too in Mississauga and surrounding areas. In Toronto, I saw tables at the intersection of Church and Queen Street just in front of a church.

Thanks!:)
              This would be a great place for the CFC to spend some money... offering to install Chess tables in various cities.

Comment

Playing on the internet is crap. I do not enjoy that business. If you're playing games on the internet, then it should probably be Starcraft.

Comment

I do not think internet chess is killing otb chess, but it is hurting clubs. The advantage of internet chess seems to rest with those in isolated communities, like me, but in a city I would have a hard time plunking down money to join a chess club that may be open only one night a week, and may not always be open on the night that is convenient for me.

Chess cafes seem to be one alternative though, my non-playing friends, wife, etc can meet me there, chat, have something to eat or drink and pass a pleasant evening while I play speed chess. Otb chess without guilt...Priceless!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Streit View Post
                    I do not think internet chess is killing otb chess, but it is hurting clubs. The advantage of internet chess seems to rest with those in isolated communities, like me, but in a city I would have a hard time plunking down money to join a chess club that may be open only one night a week, and may not always be open on the night that is convenient for me.

Chess cafes seem to be one alternative though, my non-playing friends, wife, etc can meet me there, chat, have something to eat or drink and pass a pleasant evening while I play speed chess. Otb chess without guilt...Priceless!!
                    I would have to agree with this, OTB clubs have sufferred, but not chess as a whole. If anything, the Internet makes chess even more accessible.

Chess is chess, I think the more places to play, the better. I'm not good but love to play. I do OTB (CFC Tourns + Club), online (ICC, FICS, ChessCube, Red Hot Pawn), and also correspondence on my iPhone (Chess With Friends + Red Hot Pawn). If that's not enough, I can also play REAL TIME on FICS on my iPhone!! I'm totally amazed by technology these days. I mean, real time internet chess on a cell phone, complete with the ability to chat too! Sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Nguyen View Post
                      I'm totally amazed by technology these days. I mean, real time internet chess on a cell phone, complete with the ability to chat too! Sick.
                      .... and the latest in technology:

ChessTweets
                      http://chesstweets.com/
                      ChessTweets is the newest generation of correspondence chess. ChessTweets uses the Twitter API to send chess moves remotely to your oppenent by using any of Twitter's versatile status update methods. With a Twitter account, play a quick game against a friend or start a correspondence game for free and without any registration required!

Play chess against the entire ChessTweets community or start your own remote chess game.

Comment

Working...
                      X