CFC Ratings Calculator Bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Ratings Calculator Bug?

I recently essayed the CFC Ratings Calculator at www.chesscanada.info/calculator/ and discovered what I believe to be a bug.

In a tournament of 7 games, I lose the seventh round and my rating is 2298. In that same tournament, if I draw the 7th game, suddenly my rating becomes 2282.. which doesn't make sense. How can I lose more points for drawing than losing?

So by this logic, if my opponent offers me a draw and I'm in a slightly worse position, rating-wise it would make sense for me to play for the win, as losing would be more beneficial than drawing.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem or am I the first?

Zach

Re: CFC Ratings Calculator Bug?

I tried it out quickly putting in a rating (around 2200) and 6 random results. For the seventh game I first tried a draw, and then a win, and then a loss. The draw was the highest rating result, and the win was the lowest. The performance rating was higher for the win, but the regular bonus dropped it significantly (it remained constant on the other two results). It looks like there is some kind of bug.....

Comment

When I input my data, the win was the highest rating result, as expected.

It would appear that the calculator is correctly calculating the performance ratings, but for some reason miscalculates the regular bonus.

I'm being picky, yes, but I'd just like to know if the rating attained after a loss (2298) is an overestimation, or rather if the rating attained after a draw (2282) is an underestimation.

All I need is a draw to clinch the cash prize, but if I win I will win the NM title. I'm never a guy to play for a draw, but it's something that would be nice to know prior to the round.

Comment

Zach - if you give us your specific data, we can check it out.
        Otherwise, any analysis is subject to misunderstanding.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Current Rating = 2099 Peak Rating = 2195

+1353, +2259, +2326, +1886, +2319, +2211, and I'm facing a 2126 in round 7.

I realize that if I lose then I won't get the lifetime bonus, but the fact remains that the calculator doesn't know what my peak rating is.

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Dukic View Post
            Hi Bob,

Current Rating = 2099 Peak Rating = 2195

+1353, +2259, +2326, +1886, +2319, +2211, and I'm facing a 2126 in round 7.

I realize that if I lose then I won't get the lifetime bonus, but the fact remains that the calculator doesn't know what my peak rating is.

Zach
            Interesting, when I use the online calculator I get the following:

After 6 rounds: Lose rd 7: Draw rd 7: Win rd7

New rating (before bonus) 2201, 2186, 2201, 2209
            New rating (with bonus) 2262, 2278, 2262, 2288
            Bonus (regular) 61, 92, 61, 79

New rating looks okay, but the bonus result is very strange.
            If you lose your 7th game, bonus goes up?
            If you draw your 7th game, bonus stays the same.
            If you win your 7th game, bonus goes up.

Hmmm, did I screw up something or is the online calculator messed up?

Paul, does the bonus calculations look correct?
            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Sunday, 26th February, 2017, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Zack, I did a test using the real CFC rating system, results were:

6 rounds - New rating (including all bonuses) 2271
              7 rounds (were you lose round 7) - new rating (including all bonuses) 2238

So, the real rating system seems to be working.
              I suggest you play round 7 to win!

Comment

Hi Bob,

I got identical numbers. So if I understand correctly, the rating resulting from a 7th round loss is an overestimation and not vice-versa.

In that case, for my intents and purposes, I now know I need to win round 7 for a chance at the NM title.

Zach

Comment

Haha, we posted at the same time, Bob!

I'll be playing for blood this Thursday, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X